NJTramcar

Mayo as a moisturizer in baking?

25 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bluejeanz01 said:

So have you had the opportunity to try mayo in any baking yet?

Not yet. Trying to research amounts to add.

2 hours ago, fishless said:

Have you considered plain Greek yogurt?

I haven't but am listening.  How much and what is the correct way to do this?

Are you using gluten free box cakes or are you using rice, almond or another type of flour? Each will absorb wet ingredients differently. 

Have you tried "Flourless Chocolate Cake"?

Flourless choc cake comes out well as does brownies.

I am trying to bake with King Arthur GF and Pamela's GF flour mixes.  Not liking the box mixes too much but may not have found the right ones yet.

2 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

I haven't but am listening.  How much and what is the correct way to do this?

I was only recently introduced to this and it was great so I'm just  starting out trying it myself.  Using the yogurt in exchange for say sour cream, butter cream, oils etc make what your baking very moist and firm.  Google up whatever you want to bake and I bet you'll find a recipe that allows for yogurt.  I was given a brownie made with yogurt.  I'm a brownie junkie and these were excellent, fudgy and healthier without sacrificing too much.  If you try this always use plain.  No flavored yogurts. 

Apple sauce is another good substitute in baking for moistness. That said, mayo would not be my first choice, but then again have been surprised. Once had a college roommate make a grilled cheese with mayo to grill the bread instead of butter or oil, I thought it would be gross, was pleasantly surprised.

I'll guess that the cakes rise well but on the dry side.  So If I still had some box cake mixes that are dry....... Maybe try making zucchini cake.  Go by the directions on the box, then add about a half to 3/4 cup shredded zucchini, and an extra tablespoon of oil and couple teaspoons of cinnamon.  If the cake was really dry add another egg.

If you want to go the mayonnaise  route; drop the oil and egg and add 1/4 cup of mayo to the box cake ingredients.  

You will probably need to add some baking time and possibly decrease temp 25 degrees towards the end of baking.

Thanks all, I am going to be trying all these ideas.

It doesn't have to be just mayo or any specific way, just trying to add moisture. 

There some good ideas here.