This is probably a stupid question

Rate this topic

Ash

13 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

I recently saw a video where the teaser rig was made with a 4 inch dropper loop and then one end of the loop was snipped close to the knot to make an 8 inch leader.  Then a uni knot to tie on the teaser.  Looks awesome.   I might try it for my next jigging session and improvise with a quick release clip for the teaser

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Fly fisherman have been doing that for years fishing multiple nymphs.....

Seen people do it but I just can't bring myself to trust that.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Eight inch dropper loop.

DSCF5344.thumb.JPG.b294f24ec8b4f589aca4e7df60ae7487.JPG

I do five turns on the dropper knot then wet and pull tight. You have to have faith in your knots.

DSCF5345.thumb.JPG.534b26d6dad3756219893afb701184a6.JPG

Cut close to the knot and it doesn't matter what side you cut.

DSCF5346.thumb.JPG.730e57c26bc3ea5f5d65361e9ffa272a.JPG

DSCF5347.thumb.JPG.35a6cceccb5d3efdb6a525d8b8321400.JPG

You end up with a 16 inch leader to tie on whatever you want. Have used it for years and never had it come loose.

DSCF5348.thumb.JPG.41ef23285b7430d8c424f3344ac6ea72.JPG

It's fine.....tie it all the time, no problem......also a Splitting Line Knot.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

Thanks, DG, and all who replied.  I've been doing what DG pictured only without the half twist before bringing the hook through again.  It was concern about that hook sliding that prompted me to ask the question.  Glad I wasn't too far off!

just because you can doesn't mean you should

here’s a loop to loop example when going for bass. never had a teaser get tangled or even wrap around once since doing this and can change out teaser color in seconds. the double line of the short dropper and loop on the teaser is plenty stiff to stand away from the main leader.47DBB209-28AA-443C-9D09-EE245D4765A2.thumb.jpeg.ce4caff0e1a38d9d569b976fa69256d2.jpeg

here is a different way to tie a dropper too, easier for me to tie this one to the size I want and has the benifit of being stronger than the standard dropper. 

when targeting fluke though I use the same set up DG pictured

Edited by part cork
added link

On 6/10/2018 at 2:09 PM, JohnnyK said:

If you're tying a rig with small hooks, sometimes it's hard to thread it through the hook eye.

I use the tag end or a scrap piece of line and pass it through the eye (from the hook side), through the loop and back through the eye from the top.

Grab both sides of this scrap piece and pull the dropper loop up to the hook eye, then give it a quick pull and it usually will pop through.

If it's way too small you can cut the loop.

Wow, thanks for this tip! I can't tell you how many times I fought with the pinched loop trying to pass through the hook eye.  Felt like I was trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

44 mins ago, Joe D. said:

Wow, thanks for this tip! I can't tell you how many times I fought with the pinched loop trying to pass through the hook eye.  Felt like I was trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Haha I know. At a certain point it won't work, but it helps.