DIY salt water Fly Fishing east of NYC late in July?

Rate this topic

ZATsol

Thank you everyone for good information!
I fished in Sandy Hook last year. Not much luck, just couple of blues from kayak on the fly. It was fun!

This trip I want to explore new places east of NYC. And I want to stay away from the city as far as I can. I just need to be in Manhattan on Monday morning around 8:30 am.

Yes, I will travel in my car and I do have waders. Based on the timing, I think I can do one or two outings. May be on Sunday morning or evening or both. So, I think I need to stay as closer to the beach as possible. Thank you for the tip on AirBnB, Cman! I will check it out.

This time in the year (late July), what kind of flies do I need? I’m not looking for particular species. I will be happy if I catch anything!

Thanks again!

I When I lived and fished in NYC I had better fly fishing than living out on Li near Robert Moses State Park and Nissequogue River. So here are some potential spot burns on diy shore fishing places but remember that these places fished better earlier and later than late July, like April to May and September to October: deep inside Little Neck Bay, Udall’s Cove, back side of Breezy Point - park in permit lot maintained by park service where you need a permit, around jetty at Rockaway Point (tip of Breezy Point), east end of Jacob Riis Park near Neponset. Saw a blitz of striped bass right within casting distance off Astoria Park in early September once. IMHO these places offer as close as you could be to “get out of the city”without driving an hour or two. As previously mentioned you could try back sides of Democrat Point or Jones Inlet  in Robert Moses State Park and Jones Beach respectively. I have never consistently solved the mysteries of finding good Long Island Fly Fishing spots but you could also try Target Rock, Field 2 or 5 ocean side Rober Moses, Overlook Beach for fluke on sinking line in late May and Santepogue Creek in late February for white perch. I have scored well from shore and on head boats using conventional gear on snappers, needle fish, crabs, scup, herring, sea bass, and fluke in addition to being with son who caught Monster blues at Overlook Beach and Northport Harbor using surf rods but the window of opportunities there are extremely narrow.

East end Long Island ocean beaches have had pretty consistent schoolie fishing the last couple of Julys. If the sand eels are there the fish will be around. It’s a low light early and late bite, dawn and dusk. Surf candies and 5-6” snake flies. Find the beach structure and you’ll find the fish - especially rip currents through cuts in the sand bar.

also try the inside of the big ocean inlets on the incoming tide. The inflow of cool ocean water holds the fish into the summer.

Don’t know about central and western Long Island beaches in July. The water stays cooler as you get further east.

I think Little Neck Bay striper action will be done by July.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:01 PM, flyrad10 said:

..... - park in permit lot maintained by park service where you need a permit, around jetty at Rockaway Point (tip of Breezy Point), east end of Jacob Riis Park near Neponset. ......

Maybe things have changed, but the last time I went to get the permit I had to bring a "fishing pole"with me to show that I really meant to park in the lot to fish.