DIY salt water Fly Fishing east of NYC late in July?

Rate this topic

ZATsol

I need to be in Manhattan on Monday July 30th. So, I’m thinking to spend weekend somewhere in 2-hours’ drive from it and do beach fly fishing. I’m not familiar with the area and I’m looking for any suggestions from experience people.

I did think about Montauk. But it’s almost 3 hours’ drive and all hotels want 3 nights stay minimum. But I can do only 2 nights. So, I think Connecticut shore will work better. All way to New Haven or even New London.

Please PM me if you prefer.

Thank you!

Thank you, Crazybellringer and Nicknotsebastian!

I guess I will be fishing in Long Island. I just need to figure out where to stay for couple of nights. Any suggestions for something not too expensive?

Also, do I need license to fish there?

Thanks!

Any state park or national park will required a night fishing parking permit for your car.  You can't get the state night fishing permit until labor day. You could still get the gateway night fishing permits, but I am no sure it's worth the effort due to all the plover beach closing. 

2 hours ago, JCH said:

I'd consider Sandy Hook in NJ.  Miles of beach to fish, and there's a ferry from Manhattan...

the problem with he hook is his timing and the amount of fish. He could hike to the rip if he has the night permit which holds fish in that time of year but lots of time they are deep. I think the better chance of decent fish is north that time year. 

3 hours ago, patchyfog said:

What about right in the East River?

Sure if you want to fish in the scum of what is NYC. Fishing for me anyway is about getting the F away from the city. Any of the above mentioned places will work, but if your goal is to actually catch fish, the further East you go at that time of year, the better your chances. 

4 mins ago, Oakman said:

Sure if you want to fish in the scum of what is NYC. Fishing for me anyway is about getting the F away from the city. Any of the above mentioned places will work, but if your goal is to actually catch fish, the further East you go at that time of year, the better your chances. 

I never fished there. But, to explain where I'm coming from, the East River used to have all kinds of brown trout floating on top, and Fresh Kills was still open, WQ wasn't great all the way to Albany, and the tribs, etc. There's been an absolute improvement during my lifetime on the Hudson as far as stripers go...it's better now!!! Same can be said for the Delaware System. WQ in the Upper Basin was always good. But there was a dissolved oxygen barrier near Philly...at one point, American shad were considered by some to be extirpated. It's better now.

IMO, WQ improvements in those two watersheds were as important as anything else (e.g., the Chesapeake), in this comeback of stripers from The Collapse.

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

I never fished there. But, to explain where I'm coming from, the East River used to have all kinds of brown trout floating on top, and Fresh Kills was still open, WQ wasn't great all the way to Albany, and the tribs, etc. There's been an absolute improvement during my lifetime on the Hudson as far as stripers go...it's better now!!! Same can be said for the Delaware System. WQ in the Upper Basin was always good. But there was a dissolved oxygen barrier near Philly...at one point, American shad were considered by some to be extirpated. It's better now.

IMO, WQ improvements in those two watersheds were as important as anything else (e.g., the Chesapeake), in this comeback of stripers from The Collapse.

Indeed, my opinion has nothing to do with the fishing, but rather the surroundings. I fish to get away from the city, been stuck here 19 friggin years.  Hate this place and fish to get away from it. I want nature around me when I fish, not concrete, noise and human animals.