Council, ASMFC consider reallocating bluefish to commercial sector

Rate this topic

CWitek

A month or so ago, I put up a post about the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council and ASMFC's Bluefish Management Board moving forward with a Draft Scoping and Public Information Document for a proposed Allocation Amendment to the Bluefish Management Plan, which is considering reducing the recreational bluefish allocation in order to provide more fish to the commercial fishery.

Hearings on the scoping amendment have now been set in most coastal states.  Hearing times and places, and access to the scoping document itself can be accessed through this link:  http://www.mafmc.org/actions/bluefish-allocation-amendment.

The good news is that this is still at the scoping level, so a lot of hostile comment during the public hearings, scheduled to be held in June and July, can still turn things around.  On the other hand, if anglers don't come out and complain, it is probably a done deal.

So you might want to take a look at when the hearings will be held near you, and show up.

You might also want to share this news with other anglers and clubs, who might want to oppose such reallocation.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

since the decline of Striped Bass fishery, I guess its time for them to overfish another species, wipe out one and move on to the next, It's sad that they put the finance of some ahead of whats best for the ecosystem as a whole, In due time they will move onto sea robins

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

No need to blame the commercial guys for the 'decline' of bass, their quota has remained virtually unchanged while the rec harvest , including targeted breeders, has done the most damage.

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

4 hours ago, pakalolo said:

No need to blame the commercial guys for the 'decline' of bass, their quota has remained virtually unchanged while the rec harvest , including targeted breeders, has done the most damage.

Typical shortsighted propoganda by a commercial fishing apologist.  The comms decimated the striped bass stock a generation ago forcing a moratorium. They would decimate the stock again happily If the regulators would allow them too.

Edited by Cpalms

19 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Well put.

21 hours ago, Sandflee said:

In due time they will move onto sea robins

They already are - you will start seeing them sold here as Gurnard. The French word for sea robin.  Sea robins are a basic ingredient in boulibaisse.

therein lies the difference-  as recreational fishermen, we value the fish for the sport they provide   (both bass and bloofish)    comm guys  see dollar signs only-  they would be just as happy killing  chipmunks if they could make a buck doing it

its all about da fishes...

9 hours ago, bobber said:

therein lies the difference-  as recreational fishermen, we value the fish for the sport they provide   (both bass and bloofish)    comm guys  see dollar signs only-  they would be just as happy killing  chipmunks if they could make a buck doing it

They’d sell their mother if they could get a high enough price/lb. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

23 hours ago, pakalolo said:

I tend to blame ASMFC.  When the 2011 stock assessment update said, in very clear terms, that the stock would become overfished in 2017 if the current fishery mortality was maintained, they sat on their hands instead of taking action, because none of the management triggers had been tripped at that time.  It took three more years, and stronger language in the 2013 benchmark assessment, to get them to do anything--which didn't happen until 2015,

Now, instead of making a serious effort to rebuild the stock, they're discussing the possibility of moving the goalposts--reducing the threshold biomass that defines an overfished stock, and the target biomass level.

Commercials took a 25% cut in landings in 2015, and anglers theoretically did so as well (although watch for a NMFS announcement on July 2, when recalculated recreational effort and landings estimates are released, which will probably indicate that anglers' impact on fish stocks has been far higher than previously believed).  Fishermen in both sectors are largely, if not completely, adhering to the rules that ASMFC requires.

It's still ASMFC's obligation to put effective management measures in place, and their frequent failures to do so is where the problems begin.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Speakin' for myself, I see no problem decreasing  the recreational allocation; I assume that'd be done by decreasing the possesion limit. I don't know anyone who would knowingly eat 10 of those nasty things,and see no reason why anyone would want more of them than , for example, fluke. On the other hand, I don't see why the commercials should be allowed to suck up our contribution to biomass health. SO tired of greed determining policy.

As it stands, the recreational side can choose to keep OR release their portion of the TAC.  if they give part of that to the commercial guys, the fish will be removed from the resource without question.....(ie-  the only good fish is a dead fish).   for recreational fishermen, fish have value swimming in the ocean.

its all about da fishes...

19 hours ago, unclebunker said:

Speakin' for myself, I see no problem decreasing  the recreational allocation; I assume that'd be done by decreasing the possesion limit. I don't know anyone who would knowingly eat 10 of those nasty things,and see no reason why anyone would want more of them than , for example, fluke. On the other hand, I don't see why the commercials should be allowed to suck up our contribution to biomass health. SO tired of greed determining policy.

The problem is that it's a zero-sum game, so if the rec allocation is decreased, the commercial allocation is increased.  Reducing the overall annual catch limit, using the definition of "optimum yield" to increase abundance due to "social considerations"--i.e., the benefits that can accrue from a vital catch-and-release fishery--would avoid such reallocation.  It would be a good thing, there's little hope of that happening in the real world.

On 6/8/2018 at 1:48 PM, Sandflee said:

since the decline of Striped Bass fishery, I guess its time for them to overfish another species, wipe out one and move on to the next, It's sad that they put the finance of some ahead of whats best for the ecosystem as a whole, In due time they will move onto sea robins

Hate how it moves from one species to the next, sickening

GOD made my Mold different from the rest, Then he broke that mold so I know I'm Blessed.

anytime you put a $$ on a resource someone will be there to capitalize on it, it's market hunting

we purchased Alaska from Russia for a bargain in large part because Russia decimated the beaver population, the saw value in Alaska for the beaver felt hats that were popular at the time

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching