Rise of the Sea Robin

Rate this topic

fishfinder401

They are not as heavily targeted as other, more popular species

They can also survive in worse conditions, so as habitat destruction, warming waters, etc increase further in magnitude their numbers will get even more skewed. 

Wish people didn't kill them and leave them out on the beach/jetty, kind of disgusting and it won't really bring back other fish species pops.

Saw 2 of them floating by me down the beach today. They were fresh, someone down the beach had just caught them minutes earlier. The second one washed up onto the sand. It looked like it swallowed the hook and the "angler" cut it open to get the hook back and then threw the fish back. They're was a 3" long slit from its jaw down its belly.

If you haven't made stock out of sea robins yet, then you're losing out.  The best fish stock you'll make.

Just let it go low and slow, starting in cold water with cleaned robins (gutted, gilled and scaled).  Add whatever aromatics you want based on the flavor you're going for.  If you're handy with a knife and they're bigger birds, filet the tails to save the meat to add later.  You'll get the best fish soup or stew you've ever had.

Bonus points if you save the meat and make fish cakes, with a little instant mashed potatoes, some onion, peppers and garlic.

Don't be part of the problem - grab a spoon and fork, and be part of the solution.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:26 AM, CWitek said:

Up in Long Island Sound, you can add the fall/winter smelt fishery and tomcod to that list.  

Then there's late May/early June pollock at Block Island.  And most of the offshore cod fishery, too (the summer fishery at Cox's Ledge used to be spectacular; smallest pool fish I remember was 35 pounds, and the winner was usually high 40s/low 50s).

And the winter whiting fishery in New York Bight.

Not to mention, for all practical purposes, blackfish.  Anyone who thinks that they're having good blackfishing now didn't fish the Sound in the '60s and '70s.

Inshore yellowfin tuna are of a shadow of what they were.  Makos are smaller and scarcer.  Dusky sharks used to be pests when you chunked for tuna or chummed bluefish in deeper water, now they're listed as "threatened."  Trolling for swords when they finned out on the surface, sometimes within sight of land.  The inshore white marlin bite (first one I ever baited was at the Block Island Hooter Buoy).  Late summer giant tuna off Rhode Island (does anyone even remember fishing Nebraska Shoal or Rosie's Ledge?)

There's a reason that I got involved in conservation issues...

On 6/8/2018 at 8:15 AM, JohnP said:

There is a long and growing list of fisheries that has disappeared and as new anglers come into the sport there is less of an understanding of what used to be

this is commonly known as shifting baseline syndrome 

nearshore cod

surfcasting for whiting 

winter flounder 

nearshore tuna

nearshore swordfish 

blowfish

so it makes perfect sense effort continues to shift

funny to note even bluefin tuna were once almost considered trash fish but now that there’s such a market commercials carry on like they own it 

only a couple party boats ever fished for stripers but now they carry on like they own it too 

Man that is really depressing to hear... I wonder if I will ever get to see those fisheries in my liftime

8 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

Man that is really depressing to hear... I wonder if I will ever get to see those fisheries in my liftime

Do what I and a number of other folks do,  Get out to the hearings and demand that managers fix things  Learn the issues and don't let yourself get snowed by what you read in the magazines, which often have their own agendas.

It's a long, tiring, frustrating process, but sometimes you win one.  And the more that folks turn out and demand that fish stocks be rebuilt, the more frequent those wins may become.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Man, the whiting fishery...  When I was a kid, we were kind of broke and my mom worked for a wholesale fish operation that worked out of Brooklyn.  I think I might have single handedly eaten whiting out of existence.  All I remember about it was it had very few bones, and was absolutely tasteless.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

20 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

add to that the inshore boston mackerel runs that used to happen in LI sound 

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

20 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Man, the whiting fishery...  When I was a kid, we were kind of broke and my mom worked for a wholesale fish operation that worked out of Brooklyn.  I think I might have single handedly eaten whiting out of existence.  All I remember about it was it had very few bones, and was absolutely tasteless.

and from what i've heard you could pick them frozen off the beach in the winters

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, bobtheflounder said:

Wish people didn't kill them and leave them out on the beach/jetty, kind of disgusting and it won't really bring back other fish species pops.

North Shore Long Island, there is a certain demographic that kills all their bycatch....

My significant other is the same demo and finally realizes why I cant stand porgy/pier fishing crowds.

You'll need to fish a different spot. One of the reason I don't do pier fishing during busy season. People.  Back to the topic, I experience the first sea robin  bitz this weekend, they literally jump up to grab your offering.  Oddly enough, nothing works besides a small bucktail jig with no trailer.