Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimbighead

I'm dying over here!

60 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, OOB Fisherman said:

I can’t speak for everybody but I’m getting ready for bed after being up since yesterday morning. Been hittin the beaches/docks hard during this tide cycle, fish are starting to get a little bigger but still no keepers as of yet......they were all over Mack’s and clams this morning, gonna give it another whirl floating worms tonight

This one was 26” plus with some shoulder, buddy landed one a little bit smaller and another that was 22-23” maybe? 

734E5E75-2DCF-4D73-B43A-B1D86B7683AE.jpeg

All of your reply comments make total sense man. What if we all agree not to post unnecessary fish photos like this one? You have a good spirit and knowledge of the fishery. Lead us by example and do no more photos. This would earn all of our respect and we would also be saying thank you for this.  

15 hours ago, Tlacey21walden said:

The bottom line is if we truly cared for the fish we wouldn’t be sticking hooks into them .

Jim if you get to the point you think you can reel in a fish but not sure you want to do it in your boat quite yet give me s shout. 

^^^this. Treat them nice so we can plunge a hook in their mouth again sometime. I say this as being a fly fisherman only since 1967 but fly fishermen are the worst with this holier than thou attitude. If we have ethical issues with sand then there is certainly no justification for concepts like "catch and release" which serves the only purpose of giving a fisherman momentary pleasure at the expense of the fish's well being. I stopped taking pictures as well as counting fish, mostly because leaving my phone in the car makes the whole experience more relaxing, but I doubt very much snapping a picture is the key to fish survival.Methinks people who are so concerned with respecting the fish are less concerned with respecting them as a being (in which case leave them the hell alone) than they are with respecting them as something put on this earth for their entertainment. It is a blood sport, fish get hurt and fish die and social media selfie rules aren't going to change that. If you can't live with that then take up ballroom dancing. 

Sheesh

Talk about blood sports.

This posting is beginning to take on the look of a typical partisan debate on CSPAN.

OOB explained what his situation was at the time the picture was taken and how he treated the fish while he putting it back in the water.

Having fished with OOB in the middle of a black moonless night I have no doubt that his explanation was truthful.

Time to push this dead horse aside and move on.

BTW: The ugliest fishing photos I've ever seen are those that show commercial fishing boats hauling in not only tons of their targeted species but tons of so called by-catch along with them.  That's disrespecting entire fisheries.

Well back in 1967 they didn’t care to much about the fisheries to be honest so your point of being in it that Long means nothing to me. Remember back then they would have multiple 5lb brookies on a string. Now look at the Brooke trout world good luck catching that many of good size in a day. Why might you ask well simple over harvesting. I hook fish yes but barely ever make a fish bleed as I know when to set the hook rather then letting it swallow it. Odd.... I could go on for days. Just because you have been at it for a long time doesn’t mean **** if you don’t know how to handle fish what 50 years later. I am done with you bone heads. 

OOB nothing personal i just have a hard time seeing the fish peppered with sand. I believe you respect the fishery as I have read many of your posts and you seem like a pretty good guy. No hard feelings 

Posted (edited)

46 mins ago, Theflyguy said:

not worth the aggravation

Edited by stormy monday

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Theflyguy said:

Well back in 1967 they didn’t care to much about the fisheries to be honest so your point of being in it that Long means nothing to me. Remember back then they would have multiple 5lb brookies on a string. Now look at the Brooke trout world good luck catching that many of good size in a day. Why might you ask well simple over harvesting. I hook fish yes but barely ever make a fish bleed as I know when to set the hook rather then letting it swallow it. Odd.... I could go on for days. Just because you have been at it for a long time doesn’t mean **** if you don’t know how to handle fish what 50 years later. I am done with you bone heads. 

OOB nothing personal i just have a hard time seeing the fish peppered with sand. I believe you respect the fishery as I have read many of your posts and you seem like a pretty good guy. No hard feelings 

Yes do us all a big favor .  Leave and take all your knowledge with you.   .

Edited by Doodle

Got 2 keepers fishing a shin deep flat at lunch, low tide full sun, a bit further south. That was great but wanted to note a nice big brown crab also felt the need to grab my craft fur minnow, might be time to switch to the crab flies! Till now I was only seeing bite sized ones...

14 hours ago, Mousam said:

What if we all agree not to post unnecessary fish photos like this one? 

You mean like this one right??

A little late to the party, but best of luck Jim! We'll be hoping that all goes well.

As for the current debate, I'm just grateful to have so much beautiful beach and coastline in the Northeast. I guess it's nothing like living in the dead center of the country, where people live impossibly far from both oceans. Easy to take for granted if you ask me... The point of this tangent is, I'm sure we all have our own ways of caring for and respecting the ocean and its inhabitants. Many of us care tremendously, even though it might not appear that way at times.

OOB for what it’s worth I had no malice behind my post, if it came off as a personal attack I apologize. We all get passionate about our fishery and differing opinions happen. That said I do stand behind my suggestion of giving her a quick bath before the pic. Just a suggestion, no hate.

Good luck out there. Tight lines

No hard feelings on this end, I get passionate about the sport and more importantly the fish as well so I understand. This forum is a great place filled with incredible fisherman and terrific guys, many who I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with. All suggestions in this thread are welcomed, but as I stated I also think it’s very easy to see something on the internet and at face value/without giving it much thought, go a little overboard......and I mean that just as much about myself as I do anybody else, be it just a bad day or some crap I didn’t like the night before down the dock, whatever the case. I blame Zuckerberg, crazy ba$tard had an idea to bring the world together and he turned the internet upside down.

As for not taking pictures or, more specifically wiping the fish off. it’s redundant when ya think about it. I would never dunk a fish I caught back in the water only to put it back on the sand (inevitably to flop again and get even more sandy) for the sake of a picture and then throw back, thats like reverse Chinese water torture. Wiping off a fish with sand already on it may actually be worse, or so I’ve told myself in the past, and kinda defeats the purpose of maintaining their layer of protective slime coating IMO. In my head the most natural way possible is how I try to approach things. I’ve always thought that a little sand wasn’t bad for the fish so long as I handled it properly/released it quickly. I’d imagine, without any knowledge and someone correct me if Im wrong, but if that slime coating is as important and vital as it is, would it not be in their genetic makeup to reproduce it when necessary? I’ve seen guys hold their fish out one handed and snap a pic with the other but I got alligator arms and not nearly the coordination for such a procedure. 

Any way Ive soap boxed and pondered enough, gotta pick up my daughter so she can use my car to get to/from work and I can formulate a new new fishing schedule around it........tight lines to you as well 

9 hours ago, Theflyguy said:

I am done with you bone heads. 

Please don't leave, I don't think the forum will live on without your contributions.  :banghd:

No **** ! Everyone has they're own opinion. Respect it or keep your trap shut ! This place is about the joy of fishing. You got other issues , then keep them to yourself or go to the Tavern with the guys who love to argue.:)

I found this board because I’m really excited about fishing.  I’m also hoping to learn more by reading your posts.  I can say with as much as my fish flopped when we got it into the boat, I can see the fish in the picture getting sandy from flopping on the sand, but, hey I’m a newbie, so, what do I know?  And my fish was pretty slimy, so I would also think the natural slime layer would protect it.  I am all for the ethical treatment of these fish that are being released so that they will live and reproduce.  And no I’m not a PETA lover.  Just my two cents, and yes you guys argue a lot, you are putting my belief that it is much easier to get along with men than with other women to the test.