Fishy4335

Parking At Montauk....

19 posts in this topic

I want to park in camp hero lot right over cliffs and false bar beach.... what permit do I need and can I still get one?

2 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

Camp hero permit. You need one to parkthere 

Where can I get? Can I park at night?

For Camp Hero you do not need a permit to park on top of the bluff in the daytime. You need the NY State "CAMP HERO PERMIT" if you're there after dark or wish to parkin one of the dozen or so spaces located down below which are down the trail west.if the bluff. The permit won't be available again until after Labor Day.

To park at the False Bar you need the NY State 4x4 Fishing Permit. This permit will also not be available until after Labor Day. 

Daily parking is $8. Get the Empire state park pass, Montauk and Hero are covered.

You need separate Camp Hero Parking Permit obtained from NY state. (unfortunately new passes not issued till fall'18)

18 mins ago, JillJillu said:

You need separate Camp Hero Parking Permit obtained from NY state. (unfortunately new passes not issued till fall'18)

Separate pass? So the Empire pass does not cover camp hero parking?

20 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

Separate pass? So the Empire pass does not cover camp hero parking?

Not for night time, no.

Just to clarify. The Empire Passport allows you into the Montauk State Park and the Camp Hero (AKA - The Fort) parking areas without paying the daily parking fee between 8a - 4p. If you do not have the 4x4 Fishing Permit or Fishing permit then you are not allowed to be in the State Park after dark. For Camp Hero you need the separate permit if you wish to be there after dark. Both permits will be available again after Labor Day.

Note: If you pay the daily parking fee in either park "save the receipt" they give you. All you to do is show the receipt to either parking attendant and they will allow you access into either park without paying again. I've left the park and gone into town and when I return I just show the receipt and they allow me in without paying again. So in other words PAY ONCE A DAY and get access into either park all day.

8 mins ago, Leifg said:

Just to clarify. The Empire Passport allows you into the Montauk State Park and the Camp Hero (AKA - The Fort) parking areas without paying the daily parking fee between 8a - 4p. If you do not have the 4x4 Fishing Permit or Fishing permit then you are not allowed to be in the State Park after dark. For Camp Hero you need the separate permit if you wish to be there after dark. Both permits will be available again after Labor Day.

Note: If you pay the daily parking fee in either park "save the receipt" they give you. All you to do is show the receipt to either parking attendant and they will allow you access into either park without paying again. I've left the park and gone into town and when I return I just show the receipt and they allow me in without paying again. So in other words PAY ONCE A DAY and get access into either park all day.

So if I arrive at the camp hero parking lot right over the cliffs at 4 a.m. and it gets light out at 5 a.m. and I have the Empire Pass then that's fine as long as it's light out right

If you get there before daylight you could risk getting a ticket for being there in the dark without the night fishing permit. The Empire Passport is only useful to get you in the park without paying between 8am to 4pm. If it's daylight and you arrive before 8am then you're good all day. 

1 hour ago, Leifg said:

If you get there before daylight you could risk getting a ticket for being there in the dark without the night fishing permit. The Empire Passport is only useful to get you in the park without paying between 8am to 4pm. If it's daylight and you arrive before 8am then you're good all day. 

Gotcha... thanx.... also how about driving to false bar.... does the empire pass allow you to or do you need a 4×4?

4X4.  Walk it but mind the ticks, it's no joke out there.  If you haven't been there before I totally recommend walking it during the day.  If it's crowded, give them room.  It takes a long time to learn that place, and some aspects change every Spring.  Keep in mind also the area gets hammered by some of the best fisherman around, so don't expect much and be glad for what you do get.  If you have the resources, consider a guide.

On 6/14/2018 at 6:35 AM, valleygoog said:

4X4.  Walk it but mind the ticks, it's no joke out there.  If you haven't been there before I totally recommend walking it during the day.  If it's crowded, give them room.  It takes a long time to learn that place, and some aspects change every Spring.  Keep in mind also the area gets hammered by some of the best fisherman around, so don't expect much and be glad for what you do get.  If you have the resources, consider a guide.

Easy way to find where fish have been is bringing a military grade light and shine it on the water to see where people on the rocks are.... get on that rock another day.... find the people and cars, find the fish