TheRustyBandit

Boston surfcasting locations

34 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback for me.

Before I moved to Boston after college I was an avid fisherman with my dad, surfcasting and fresh water. Now that I have settled down in Boston I am looking for advice on good surfcasting spots. I live in South Boston and looking for locations nearby.

Any tips would help!

Cheers,

TRB

Greetings. We don’t allow overly specific location discussions here - we do allow folks to share general locations. Asking folks where to fish on a busy website like this one is like asking a gold miner where they are finding gold...and asking them to print that location in a thousand local newspapers :read: 

TimS

You need to have a certain number of posts, 10 I think, before you can send private messages. Once you can send messages feel free to reach out to me, I live in boston as well. 

Not to hi-jack this thread but, any guys local to Boston want to scout some new fishing spots? I've been driving up north shore and down the cape this season with success, but would like to catch big fish in local waters.

TheRustyBait, PM once you have access I can lead you in the right direction. I know a few spots in the Boston area, but the stripers will make you work for them.

If you got a bike,explore the oceanfront from Southie up to the Garden...plenty of spots to fish...

I also live in southie. Most spots require a drive to get to. Boston harbor is a fishing playground. Google Maps is your best friend. The ability to find parking spots that wont get you towed is almost as important as actually fishing.   PM me once you get the ability. 

This forum is great, I really appreciate the replies!

I'll DM those that reached out and are willing to help out more.

You can try castle island / south Boston/ seaport areas/ Quincy bay/ Neponset river / Wollaston beach / Nut Island / Near pier 6 restaurant in Charlestown area . If you drive around these locations, hope you can find a great spot.

Thanks @Kle230

Are there any places that you don't recommended? Ex: to rocky, people swimming? I'm guessing Carson Beach is not a great spot, don't see many people out there fishing.

Hi TheRustyBandit, 

You can play volleyball & people watching now at Carson Beach - lol a great spot for that.

From Carson Beach, you can use the bike path and walk on the way down to the Harbor point apartments / JFK building,  you will see some fishing spots.  If you have a chance fishing round Mid Sept- Oct, you will see fall run striper blitz around the fishing pier/ Dorchester Shore/ Carson Beach. 

I don't have a dog in this fight because I don't fish in Boston anymore and it's up to the mods not me. But I did at one time and I would call some of these spots overly specific. My advice: use the PM feature for those, not the forum. It looks like the OP has enough posts to do that now.

When pogies invade Carson beach there are plenty of bass to be had there. Caught my first large on a snagged pogy when I was 14, almost 30 years ago. There are many good surf spots within biking distance of you.

22 hours ago, Kle230 said:

You can try castle island / south Boston/ seaport areas/ Quincy bay/ Neponset river / Wollaston beach / Nut Island / Near pier 6 restaurant in Charlestown area . If you drive around these locations, hope you can find a great spot.

i live 10 min from wolly beach and often hit up nut island. what kind of stuff can you get at wolly i have seen people fish there but i never tried it