TLink

Would you reccomend this pairing

7 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to p/u a Penn 12 foot prevail matched with a Fierce 7000.  I have concern that the reel is a little too small for the rod.  

I have other rigs, but this one (neighbor's) is possibly too cheap to pass up.  iadvice?

forgot to add.  Mainly surf casting for Blues (and anything else I may get lucky with) off of the DE shore and occasionally on Nantucket Mass.

no doubt that rig will catch fish, but the entire package may feel a touch big for all day plugging.  that said, if its a good value I say go for it, then throw some carbon drag washers in the reel and have at it!

tight lines

Hi, Welcome to the forum. I use a 9' 1 to 4 oz star rod for casting plugs in the surf matched with a Penn B T L ll 5000 with 17# mono with a  8' 30# floro leader. I like a 9' because I can handle it better for casting plugs for a couple of Hrs. 11' and 12' rods I use for chunking bait. Try to stay light with your tackle. 11' rod I use a Penn B T L 6000 , with 20# mono. 12' is a conventional with a Penn 990 mag with 25# to 30# mono I use for big fish, Small sharks, Bull red drum.  But if you go with the fierce , do like hanlon said and up the drags. I use a Fierce 5000 for casting from a pier on an 8' rod. Never had a problem with the reel.Tight lines.

I have the same 7000 on a 10ft prevail it was my first surf setup. It works fairly well I think that reel would do better on the 12ft rod like your buying. I currently have mine on a cheap 11ft diawa as my shark rig the reel handled a big cow nose ray no problem. Only issue I have had is the bail loves to snap shut while casting, if your mindful of its tendency to do that it shouldn’t be a problem 

Thanks for the welcome and great information. I agree that the 12 is a horse and not really an all day deal.  Fortunately I have 2 10s and a 7.  So my back will be saved!  I'm going after it today.

Thanks again!

-Tom

A lot of reels now days have weak bail springs. I loop a thick rubber band around the bail, open the bail till it lock's, then I slip it over the bottom of the reel. Cast  bait when I'm done casting I just slip rubber band off the bottom of the reel. Been doing it for years.