TheOtherOne

Freshwater Fishing on Long Island

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What do the seasons look like, when is the bite hot for LMB, Pickerel, etc.? Any trout spots other than Connequot where you don't have to fly fish? Not looking for anything specific, I'm just curious how it coincides with the salt. Wouldn't mind getting a small setup and checking out some local fishing holes if it's good when the Stripers and Blues slow. Any other info, rod/reel/tackle suggestions, etc. welcome and much appreciated!

Edited by TheOtherOne

June opens the season back up for LMB and they are post spawn and HUNGRY.

I like small profile suspending jerkbait right now.

In terms of water.. not sure where you are  North , South etc.

local ponds with lily pads, and toss out a jitterbug

LMB is heating up fast right now. Panfish far as you can see. The jitterbug is incredible for such a strange looking clunky lure. Tried it the first time last week in a VERY weedy still pond and had blow ups no problem. Just wish I could set the dang hook on them :banghd:

I've been avoiding any trout lately because most of the local rivers (afaik) are fly fishing only. Would love to hear about any others. 

I know it's not long island, but I went on a nice hike at harriman last year and found lmb in those lakes. 

I actually just got into freshwater fishing here. It's my first time getting into any sort of fishing on my own. I've been looking for spots to hit, so far I've hit about 3 different places, only able to get 1 decent LMB compared to the small guys I was getting. 

Still searching for a good spot I'm comfortable with and still just learning. 

11 hours ago, dhmnuts said:

I actually just got into freshwater fishing here. It's my first time getting into any sort of fishing on my own. I've been looking for spots to hit, so far I've hit about 3 different places, only able to get 1 decent LMB compared to the small guys I was getting. 

Still searching for a good spot I'm comfortable with and still just learning. 

Are you fishing from shore or a boat?

Fishing gets a lot easier if you have a canoe/kayak/cartop rowboat.

Whereever you fish... get the smallest hooks you can find... catch a tiny, cute adorable bluegill... the smallest one you can get  and toss him to the middle of lake \ pond you are fishing with a float and wait.

I started doing that a few years ago and the size of the LMB and Pick's I was catching completely changed.

37 mins ago, CWitek said:

Are you fishing from shore or a boat?

Fishing gets a lot easier if you have a canoe/kayak/cartop rowboat.

I'm stuck on the shore. 

29 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Whereever you fish... get the smallest hooks you can find... catch a tiny, cute adorable bluegill... the smallest one you can get  and toss him to the middle of lake \ pond you are fishing with a float and wait.

I started doing that a few years ago and the size of the LMB and Pick's I was catching completely changed.

I'll have to give that a shot some day 

I have a tiny collapsible ice fishing rod and a Shimano Sedona 1000 series reel with hybrid line on it. I fish a few of the ponds in the pamphlet they give you when you buy your freshwater fishing license, and I catch some decent LMB with pumpkin seed Berkeley worms. Had about 10 fish trolling these worms off a rowboat on the 4th. Tiny setup let’s even guppies give an account of themselves. I find I catch way more fish in freshwater, and early morning and dusk produce real well. Not much at night, and mid day is slow. Small fish by the dozen on tiny spinner baits too. Small bait, small fish I suppose. 

3 hours ago, dhmnuts said:

I'm stuck on the shore. 

Try to find a second-hand way to get on the water.  That opens up some places, such as Forge Pond on the Peconic River, that offer some first-class fishing.

56 mins ago, CWitek said:

Try to find a second-hand way to get on the water.  That opens up some places, such as Forge Pond on the Peconic River, that offer some first-class fishing.

Hopefully I'll find a way soon. As of now I've just been using senkos and fluke. Any recommendations on what to keep stocked in my tackle box for the waters we have?

Senkos are my number 1 go to. First thing out of my bag. Toss, sink, twitch weedless Texas style. After that, I like floating rapalas, jitterbugs, frogs... basically anything topwater. This time of year our ponds and lakes have so much overgrowth under the surface it becomes a giant pain in the butt.