Right-Hand vs Left-Hand Fly Reel Retrieve

Rate this topic

frazerp

Recently purchased a lefty Black Max casting reel at a closeout store. The price was 10.00 $ cheaper than Walmart. I never realized this till I put it on a rod. I reel spin and fly lefty and casting reels right handed. This probably comes from fishing deep sea reels which were predominantly manufactured right hand. I was clumbsy at first but I adapted guickly. I'm in the process of replacing 30 yr old gear and bought another lefty casting reel. I'm 66 so it's not too late to adapt.

(*member formerly known as 'Fairplay')

1 hour ago, bhorsley said:

not really--what ever works for you is the right way 

That’s good to know because I cast right reel / strip left keeping that rod hand as a better feel hand . Something that has not been addressed . Which might not be important to some . 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

That’s good to know because I cast right reel / strip left keeping that rod hand as a better feel hand . Something that has not been addressed . Which might not be important to some . 

yep I cast right reel right and strip two handed in most situations except on the flats but if stripping one handed with my left.  Someone brought up a great point about casting right and reeling right keeps the reel handed to the outside of body.  

Brian Horsley

Ever watch a Brit eat a steak? None of that fiddly fork swapping like us New Worlders. I’m just getting back in after lots of years, but I went the “wind with the non-dominant hand” route, and moved on. I will say I developed a bad habit of wiggling both hands around when I reeled in an empty line, but had no trouble the few times I was pulling in something pulling back. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 3:13 PM, Stonefish said:

Cast right,reel right.Started that way years ago.

Tend to two hand strip a lot, so rod goes under left arm without though.

Left on spinning rods, righty on baitcasters.

SF

Casting, right - spin, fly, baitcasters

Reel, left - spin, fly, baitcasters

Strip line, left - fly

For me it’s simple - rod control, right hand; line control, left hand.  Keepin’ It simple.  For me the bulk of the time rod and line control is the biggest factor, and it’s an extremely rare occurrence when which hand winds the fastest is important.

i believe it’s how one attains their fishing experience.  For mature fly fishers, back in the day fly reels and baicasters were predominantly right handed retrieve, so most lean right/handed.  New generation/youth, more left-handed retrieve options are available, and most fly reels are shipped left hand retrieve, and youth tend to lean towards left.

An analogy is chopsticks or forks.  I grew up using a fork, so I prefer a fork, but I bet it would be different if I grew up using chopsticks.