frazerp

Right-Hand vs Left-Hand Fly Reel Retrieve

35 posts in this topic

I started with a Pflueger many years ago and I am a righty so I cast right and reel right. My thoughts are that you cast with one hand and fight the fish with the other you spread the work out a bit. My wife is a lefty but she reels right handed. The bottom line is whatever works for you. Like Brian I carry extra reels and spools on the boat.

On 6/4/2018 at 5:36 AM, JoeSWFF said:

My preference is my rod hand/arm has to be my dominant. As with spinning, my left is my reeler. Hmmm, but with conventional inreel with my right...

This is the correct method.

On 6/4/2018 at 6:18 AM, bhorsley said:

age old question.  I cast right and reel right --I can reel faster long with my dominate hand.  I have been doing so long I do not even notice the switching of hands.  This is a strange observation as well--I have notice clients struggle when reeling with their non dominate hand with rod control.  Cant tell you why.  But the bottom line is what ever works for you.  Sarah and I keep four or so extra reels on our boats that are left hand crank.  

Same here. When do you switch? After hooking up or right after the fly hits the water?

6 mins ago, Nikoli said:

Same here. When do you switch? After hooking up or right after the fly hits the water?

After the hook up

One important consideration: If you are right handed, then your right hand will be on the cork grip out of harms way when you hook up with a big fish.  Automatically your left hand will come up to tighten the drag, and it will also be out of harms way from the reel handle which if on the right side won't be able to rap or cut your fingers and knuckles.  Fight the fish on the drag until it tires, and then switch hands and reel with your right hand.  If it is a small fish which is most of the time, you strip the line back in anyway with your left hand instead of reeling.

Thanks isleomaniac - useful, comprehensive & some of the best info

That is the best explanation I have read in a long time. Hard to argue with those facts and why do exactly the same.

Cast right,reel right.Started that way years ago.

Tend to two hand strip a lot, so rod goes under left arm without though.

Left on spinning rods, righty on baitcasters.

SF

I cast with my right arm and crank with my left, just as with a spinning rod.  Aside from switching hands it feels really awkward for me to have the rod in my left hand.  It doesn't bother me when using offshore gear since that's a totally different fighting technique. 

I also would think that I can reel faster with my left hand just because I've cranked in god knows how many miles of line and the muscle memory is there

I write with right hand

shoot from left 

reel with left hand

and surf regular foot forward  (not goofy)

too old to care or change 

1 hour ago, JohnP said:

I write with right hand

shoot from left 

reel with left hand

and surf regular foot forward  (not goofy)

too old to care or change 

Your ambidextrous   most lefty's are, because we live in a right hand world.

I cast right and reel right, can’t ever remember having to change hands, ‘cept I know my right arm hurts when used pull on a fish if I don’t.

JC 

Posted (edited)

...this can be more complicated then fly lines . 

Edited by Hook I

6 hours ago, Hook I said:

...this can be more complicated then fly lines . 

not really--what ever works for you is the right way