jeffory

avet trx 80w or penn senator 12/0 or 14/0 for shark

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Land based a topshot is a must have, I lost interest in it after tail roping a few 10+ fish. 800yds of 200lb hollow core and a 200 top shot on a 130 will catch any shark your going to land with the right guy. Heavy mono isn't exactly for break strain, it's for abrasion resistance. On the boat, 30w with braid and a short top shot.

Jeffory, I've pulled 60lbs of drag in a harness trying to stop big fish and turn them around. It's not fun. Avet 80w standard puts out close to that locked down. The main advantage to the TRX is more drag, it has a much steeper drag curve. You would be better off to save some money and get the regular. If you've never done it before, it might be best to hook up with some guys that do it on a regular basis and make sure you want to make the investment before dropping that much money.

Edited by Grayson

30 mins ago, Grayson said:

Land based a topshot is a must have, I lost interest in it after tail roping a few 10+ fish. 800yds of 200lb hollow core and a 200 top shot on a 130 will catch any shark your going to land with the right guy. Heavy mono isn't exactly for break strain, it's for abrasion resistance. On the boat, 30w with braid and a short top shot.

Jeffory, I've pulled 60lbs of drag in a harness trying to stop big fish and turn them around. It's not fun. Avet 80w standard puts out close to that locked down. The main advantage to the TRX is more drag, it has a much steeper drag curve. You would be better off to save some money and get the regular. If you've never done it before, it might be best to hook up with some guys that do it on a regular basis and make sure you want to make the investment before dropping that much money.

Grayson,

Thanks for your input and maybe I will do just that, hook up with some guys and see if it's something I really want to do and invest the money in.

Posted (edited)

Ok, I can't comment on sharking from the beach. Never done that. But I have done alot of sharking from the boat here in the northeast. 30 and 50 class reels are the norm. We pack them with 130lb braid and a 80 or 100lb mono top shot. With this we can essentially catch "anything" but I could see how you might want even more line capacity if your on the beach. I will say a 50 wide holds a pile of 130lb braid. I think your arm would fall off if you had to crank it all in.

Edited by peanutbunkerandjelly

1 hour ago, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

Ok, I can't comment on sharking from the beach. Never done that. But I have done alot of sharking from the boat here in the northeast. 30 and 50 class reels are the norm. We pack them with 130lb braid and a 80 or 100lb mono top shot. With this we can essentially catch "anything" but I could see how you might want even more line capacity if your on the beach. I will say a 50 wide holds a pile of 130lb braid. I think your arm would fall off if you had to crank it all in.

Peanut,

Haha, i just cracked up at the arm falling off.  Thx for the info on the boat.  good to know stuff.  What poles do you use?

Posted (edited)

I have 10 offshore set ups. They consist of 2 different rods. One being 5'6" seeker stand ups 50-130lb all rollers. The others are custom 5'6" 50-130lb but with the large wind on rollers. Standard issue shark leaders up here are 15' because we've been seeing alot of threashers. But 15' of wire along side the boat is dangerous and a pain. I use homemade 20' 400lb mono wind on leaders with a snap swivel on the end. Then I make 3' 325lb single strand hook leaders. The large roller guides allow us to reel the fish right up to the top. It eliminates a "wire man".

Edited by peanutbunkerandjelly

6 hours ago, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

I have 10 offshore set ups. They consist of 2 different rods. One being 5'6" seeker stand ups 50-130lb all rollers. The others are custom 5'6" 50-130lb but with the large wind on rollers. Standard issue shark leaders up here are 15' because we've been seeing alot of threashers. But 15' of wire along side the boat is dangerous and a pain. I use homemade 20' 400lb mono wind on leaders with a snap swivel on the end. Then I make 3' 325lb single strand hook leaders. The large roller guides allow us to reel the fish right up to the top. It eliminates a "wire man".

Peanut,

Thx for the info. 

Jeff

Posted (edited)

Screenshot_20180606-090949.thumb.png.739df31cdd87bcd6a27e8f1321442e20.png

Edited by Lou T

Are you in Florida? They are attempting to restrict land based shark fishing. Maybe even ban it. At the very least, they  are striving for special permits, special areas, training programs, etc. A bunch of irrational cry babies have been trying to make the case that shark fishing leads to shark attacks...... It's crap but it's the reality of living in a society were the victim class gets special treatment. Who knows how it will all play out but I wouldn't go spend big money on a new 80W if in a few months you might not be able to use it.

Either way, I'd never use a big game lever drag reel on a sandy beach. The maintenance alone is brutal. Have you ever cleaned sand out of an 80W? It sucks. You think you have it all and then put it all back together only to realize you need to do it again. Then do it again.

A Senator is super easy to breakdown and much cheaper. That's the reason a lot of guys shark fish with them.

Big reels are not overkill at all. You have to remember you are asking for big game advice on a northeast surfcasting board. Ask this same question on a FL board and they will tell you to get a big reel.

21 hours ago, GooganFish said:

Are you in Florida? They are attempting to restrict land based shark fishing. Maybe even ban it. At the very least, they  are striving for special permits, special areas, training programs, etc. A bunch of irrational cry babies have been trying to make the case that shark fishing leads to shark attacks...... It's crap but it's the reality of living in a society were the victim class gets special treatment. Who knows how it will all play out but I wouldn't go spend big money on a new 80W if in a few months you might not be able to use it.

Either way, I'd never use a big game lever drag reel on a sandy beach. The maintenance alone is brutal. Have you ever cleaned sand out of an 80W? It sucks. You think you have it all and then put it all back together only to realize you need to do it again. Then do it again.

A Senator is super easy to breakdown and much cheaper. That's the reason a lot of guys shark fish with them.

Big reels are not overkill at all. You have to remember you are asking for big game advice on a northeast surfcasting board. Ask this same question on a FL board and they will tell you to get a big reel.

Florida is where I'd be land based fishing.  That would be most unfortunate to have them ban it, especially investing in the setup to do that.  

What FL boards should I look at? 

I doubt they will succeed in totally banning it but you never know. That's what the cry babies are pushing for. I'm confident there will be a lot of new rules and restrictions though.

I can't say specifically because of forum rules but you should be able to figure it out with this. There is a popular sport fishing magazine based out of FL that has their own forum. I think you'll benefit from local experience.

20 hours ago, GooganFish said:

I doubt they will succeed in totally banning it but you never know. That's what the cry babies are pushing for. I'm confident there will be a lot of new rules and restrictions though.

I can't say specifically because of forum rules but you should be able to figure it out with this. There is a popular sport fishing magazine based out of FL that has their own forum. I think you'll benefit from local experience.

ok thx!

Go with the standard 80w EXW.  I have been using them for years.  Avets in particular are very good in the sand and can resist a lot of the BS that locks up other reels.  

You'll be glad you have the 80w (or even a 50w has a ton now adays) when a big daddy decides to pick up the bait. 

35089323_10107054646898094_4214520015925280768_n.jpg

For most who seek to venture into this sport, it really depends a lot on what you are going after because, well, a shark is not just a shark. All sharks are very different and, as such, react differently when hooked. Location also plays into this. If fishing from the sand and not yaking baits out (like going for blacktips or spinner sharks here in Florida. for example) nothing wrong with the big spinning outfits. I've caught sharks over 10ft on the spinning gear, brought them in just as fast as my bigger reels. In fact, last year alone I tagged over 100 sharks for NOAA, most of which were brought in on the big spinning outfits; and to this day not one fatality has been reported. What this data tells me is that these big rod/reel spinning combos are very effective for catching/releasing sharks. They're light, easy to use, pretty easy to cast (once you get the hang of them lol) and don't cost and arm and a leg. And, oh, what a fight! No harness, no belt, totally in the raw, man against fish, which is why I fish with them...but that's just me.

And don't ever presume (especially here in Florida) that just because you have a big high dollar conventional reel outfit with super duper this or that -- that sharks are easily tamed and brought in. Laugh. Simply speaking, there's stuff out there that CANNOT be stopped...period.

Whatever rod/reel anyone uses or whatever rod/reel anyone can afford, do it up the best way possible with the highest quality stuff -- pay a LOT of attention and study up on the little things, your connections, the line, tools, the leader setup, the hooks....The little things that most overlook and most don't talk about can make any reel no matter how great look like road kill, believe me. Anyone can spend the cheddar on the best of the best but if those knots break or that splicing fails or those crimps fail, then done deal over with bye bye see ya later LoL.

Back to the subject: personally, I'm a Senator guy. These reels are simple as all can be, hold a ton of line, are affordable, and, for the most, last forever. The clicker can wake up the dead! Very important at night. You can drop them in the drink and leave 'em there all night, the sand or whatever and then just rinse them off with the hose -- done. I have yet to have any sort of failure on one and I have five of them. The drags can be upgraded to over a 100lbs with simple parts. I've caught monster sharks on these reels. Sure, the drags get hot as lava but, hey, that's what the BURN is all about LoL. Just put some bottled water or Kool-Aid or beer on the thing LoL. They're truly old school and hold some mighty big records on the books. Simply speaking, they are time tested and proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

That being said, it's a personal matter as well, likes and dislikes, just like food. I have nothing against other brands. They work great in the right hands. Seen 'em catch some nice fish. People say this and that and, well, that's great. But it might not be great and good to someone else, same with Senators. Better to get shark gear that "feels" right, fits in the comfort zone, or the financial zone....or is tried, tested, and proven, like in my example. That's kinda the route I went. Got faith in that sorta stuff, I guess. But to each his own. No rod/reel debate from me on here.

I also read somewhere on this thread about shark fishing being banned in Florida. That's just not true. I am in personal direct contact with the FWC and have the correct info on the current trends as it relates to staff reports on land based shark fishing here in Florida. If interested, PM me for details, just too complex to get into on here.

Big Senator in action with 10ft unlimited rod....14 foot monster shark. What. A. Rush. Senators are down right brutal....no Cadillac, just down and dirty and very raw LoL I just love 'em!

IMG_1717.JPG.e8885c06a43f856f432d28e19ec4f77b.JPG

2 hours ago, zcoker said:

For most who seek to venture into this sport, it really depends a lot on what you are going after because, well, a shark is not just a shark. All sharks are very different and, as such, react differently when hooked. Location also plays into this. If fishing from the sand and not yaking baits out (like going for blacktips or spinner sharks here in Florida. for example) nothing wrong with the big spinning outfits. I've caught sharks over 10ft on the spinning gear, brought them in just as fast as my bigger reels. In fact, last year alone I tagged over 100 sharks for NOAA, most of which were brought in on the big spinning outfits; and to this day not one fatality has been reported. What this data tells me is that these big rod/reel spinning combos are very effective for catching/releasing sharks. They're light, easy to use, pretty easy to cast (once you get the hang of them lol) and don't cost and arm and a leg. And, oh, what a fight! No harness, no belt, totally in the raw, man against fish, which is why I fish with them...but that's just me.

And don't ever presume (especially here in Florida) that just because you have a big high dollar conventional reel outfit with super duper this or that -- that sharks are easily tamed and brought in. Laugh. Simply speaking, there's stuff out there that CANNOT be stopped...period.

Whatever rod/reel anyone uses or whatever rod/reel anyone can afford, do it up the best way possible with the highest quality stuff -- pay a LOT of attention and study up on the little things, your connections, the line, tools, the leader setup, the hooks....The little things that most overlook and most don't talk about can make any reel no matter how great look like road kill, believe me. Anyone can spend the cheddar on the best of the best but if those knots break or that splicing fails or those crimps fail, then done deal over with bye bye see ya later LoL.

Back to the subject: personally, I'm a Senator guy. These reels are simple as all can be, hold a ton of line, are affordable, and, for the most, last forever. The clicker can wake up the dead! Very important at night. You can drop them in the drink and leave 'em there all night, the sand or whatever and then just rinse them off with the hose -- done. I have yet to have any sort of failure on one and I have five of them. The drags can be upgraded to over a 100lbs with simple parts. I've caught monster sharks on these reels. Sure, the drags get hot as lava but, hey, that's what the BURN is all about LoL. Just put some bottled water or Kool-Aid or beer on the thing LoL. They're truly old school and hold some mighty big records on the books. Simply speaking, they are time tested and proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

That being said, it's a personal matter as well, likes and dislikes, just like food. I have nothing against other brands. They work great in the right hands. Seen 'em catch some nice fish. People say this and that and, well, that's great. But it might not be great and good to someone else, same with Senators. Better to get shark gear that "feels" right, fits in the comfort zone, or the financial zone....or is tried, tested, and proven, like in my example. That's kinda the route I went. Got faith in that sorta stuff, I guess. But to each his own. No rod/reel debate from me on here.

I also read somewhere on this thread about shark fishing being banned in Florida. That's just not true. I am in personal direct contact with the FWC and have the correct info on the current trends as it relates to staff reports on land based shark fishing here in Florida. If interested, PM me for details, just too complex to get into on here.

Big Senator in action with 10ft unlimited rod....14 foot monster shark. What. A. Rush. Senators are down right brutal....no Cadillac, just down and dirty and very raw LoL I just love 'em!

IMG_1717.JPG.e8885c06a43f856f432d28e19ec4f77b.JPG

Thank you ZCoker for your input, much appreciated!!