Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jig Man

Jigman 2 3/8 oz tailwater pencils, monday evening

3 posts in this topic

Monday evening I'll be putting up a batch of my 2 3/8 oz (6 inch) tailwater pencils. Flat belly and extra lead. Sinkers, but come up top real easy. Sale will start around 7 pm eastern. 

A little more info on the pencils. The tailwater areas that I am fishing are a lot like the Cape Cod Canal. Heavy currents, chunk rock on the banks, deeper water, big fish, and distance can be a big factor. Some days they are right at your feet. Other days, 100+ yards out. On days that they are well off the bank, casting distance can be real important. The pencil was designed for those days. Extra lead and flat belly, like a canal style pencil. I have been messing with these for several seasons to get them right. I usually have a CTS Vapor Trail 3-6 or a Lami 1332M with me. Both 11 foot rods.

If you have loaded a Cordell Pencil or used a sinking pencil you know there is a delicate balance between how much lead you can cram into the plug and how easily it will get up on top and dance well. Too much lead and it is hard to get it on top and the action is not optimal. While my tailwater pencil has a good sized chunk of lead (part of the slug is exposed and forms the tail of the plug), you will find that it gets up on top quickly and dances very nicely, in addition to casting really well. Once trick that I have learned when using sinking pencils is to feather the line at the end of the cast and flip the bail (spinning) or engage the reel (conventional) right before the plug hits the water to get the slack out of the line. As soon as the plug hits the water, pull the rod tip up and start working it. Even in flat, calm, no current conditions, I can get this pencil on top within a couple of feet of splash down. One other thing to note is that on the hit, if the fish misses, you can either keep working the plug, or drop the rod tip for a couple of seconds. As you bring the rod tip back up, the pencil will wiggle as it comes back up top. Once on top, work as normal. I’ve had a number of stripers hit it before I got it back on top. 

And a photo of what will be up tomorrow.

jm-238pencils.jpg