Fastway Fishing

Freshwater Striped bass plugs/lures

22 posts in this topic

One thing I have never been to great at is finding a good artificial lure that is a sure go to for me for Striped bass.

I catch most of the ones I have caught in my life on down lines with live herring, either sitting still or trolling.

I have caught a few on a top-water spook walkin bait.  However, other than that I don't really have a go to casting plug for when they go deep.

I got about $200 on a Bass Pro gift card, and I am looking to spend most of it on diversifying my lure/plug selection.

Jumpin Minnow, 13 F & S SP minnows, Smaller 3-5 inch storm shads, smaller wind cheaters, 3-4 inch Bomber badonk-A-donks, 1/2-1oz Road Runners, Krocodile Spoons trolled on down riggers or cast from shore. Here is a start. For freshwater, assuming lakes, a 6-9 inch sluggo on 3/4 bullet head or rigged Drop shot n let her sink way down, twitch twitch after a good 30 sec wait, great finesses bait. 

My brother swears by the Rapala Skitter-V topwater lure and then the Spook Jr. (I use them both as well).  I also have good success with leadheads (1/4 to 3/8 oz. in slower water, 1/2 oz. in fast water), using either chartreuse or pink 4" curleytails by Gotcha or 4" swimming mullets by Gulp.  OH

7 hours ago, Old Hunter said:

My brother swears by the Rapala Skitter-V topwater lure and then the Spook Jr. (I use them both as well).  I also have good success with leadheads (1/4 to 3/8 oz. in slower water, 1/2 oz. in fast water), using either chartreuse or pink 4" curleytails by Gotcha or 4" swimming mullets by Gulp.  OH

When you say lead heads im guessing you are referring to bucktails?

I have a lot of success with topwater spooks, and spook jrs as well.

47 mins ago, Fastway Fishing said:

South Carolina, the Dirty dirty

Fishing lake Murray?

9 mins ago, jerseycat9 said:

Fishing lake Murray?

Yes my family has a house on Murray, and I actually live about 20 min from Clarks Hill, so I shoot over there sometimes. You come to this area?

From time to time not often though. The time of year isn't right now but look into jerkbaits such and the mcstick and duo sp minnow at night for stripes on point and in creek arns. I've caught thousands on the mcstick alone here on Lake Lanier.  Lanier and Murray fish the same.

1 min ago, jerseycat9 said:

From time to time not often though. The time of year isn't right now but look into jerkbaits such and the mcstick and duo sp minnow at night for stripes on point and in creek arns. I've caught thousands on the mcstick alone here on Lake Lanier.  Lanier and Murray fish the same.

O you over in GA? I actually live in North Augusta so im right on the border.  I actually just starting striper fishing in Murray, and in general a couple years ago, but I got hooked instantly, I`m still pretty new to it, and don't make it up there as much as I should. 

I know you can catch them year round, but I do most of my catching in the summer on live Blueback.  That is the thing that I am going to work on and put more time into, is learning to catch good fish in the colder months of the year. 

I am gonna try the planer board thing this fall winter for the first time ever.  The baits that you mentioned when is the best time you think for them? Besides the top water I am guessing the colder months.

I mosyky stick to night fishing so the following tactics are nighttime methods. 

I start throwing the mcstick in late October early November around here which may put you at mid November on Murray since your colder weather sets in a little later than ours. I continue to throw the jerkbaits all winter until February-is when the threadfin shad begin to pile up.I'm the backs of the creek arns and the stripes start to gorge on them. You'll notice when it starts the stripes turn into over pumped footballs. I replace the stock hooks with #4 2 time hardened by 2 time short trebles leaving the middle hook out and replace the split rings. This combo keeps the jerkbait neutrally buoyant the same way it was when it had three #5 hooks on it and I'd anything maybe a a slow sink which I prefer anyways. 

In the fall your best bet is to begin working points and saddles between islands at the mouths of creek arms and off the main river channel. Just cast and jerk the bait to depth and then begin a slow steady retrieve, and don't worry about reeling too slow as they will even smash that lure sitting still at night. Dont worry about working it with any kind of action or stop and go presentations cause it actually hinders their ability to zero in on it on dark nights, slow and steady wins the race.

I got a lot more to share but I'm at work right noway so I'll try to add on to this later

22 mins ago, jerseycat9 said:

I mosyky stick to night fishing so the following tactics are nighttime methods. 

I start throwing the mcstick in late October early November around here which may put you at mid November on Murray since your colder weather sets in a little later than ours. I continue to throw the jerkbaits all winter until February-is when the threadfin shad begin to pile up.I'm the backs of the creek arns and the stripes start to gorge on them. You'll notice when it starts the stripes turn into over pumped footballs. I replace the stock hooks with #4 2 time hardened by 2 time short trebles leaving the middle hook out and replace the split rings. This combo keeps the jerkbait neutrally buoyant the same way it was when it had three #5 hooks on it and I'd anything maybe a a slow sink which I prefer anyways. 

In the fall your best bet is to begin working points and saddles between islands at the mouths of creek arms and off the main river channel. Just cast and jerk the bait to depth and then begin a slow steady retrieve, and don't worry about reeling too slow as they will even smash that lure sitting still at night. Dont worry about working it with any kind of action or stop and go presentations cause it actually hinders their ability to zero in on it on dark nights, slow and steady wins the race.

I got a lot more to share but I'm at work right noway so I'll try to add on to this later

Awesome thank you for the advice, when you are determining where to fish as far as which points or creek beds, do you rely on sonar more or just use the contours to figure out where the fish should be instead of where you see them? I got the Simrad GO7 XSE a couple months ago and haven't figured it out completely yet, but I really like it. 

54 mins ago, Fastway Fishing said:

Awesome thank you for the advice, when you are determining where to fish as far as which points or creek beds, do you rely on sonar more or just use the contours to figure out where the fish should be instead of where you see them? I got the Simrad GO7 XSE a couple months ago and haven't figured it out completely yet, but I really like it. 

The theory I came up with and stick to is = if the striper is in 20ft of water or less, then he's there looking for shad and or herring. I keep my boat out over 25ft of water and begin to work the bank, don't worry about casting so close to the bank since even the bigger stripers can be in 2 ft of water. I generally don't worry to much about what I mark on my sonar when doing this. If I see some scattered bait on my graph cool but even if I don't I'm still gonna fish it. The name of the game with this fishing is running and gunning and then doubling back an hour or more later and hitting the productive areas whereally you had action earlier in the evening.

Dont get caught up in the moment and let a couple bites give you tunnel vision. Don't camp on a spot for more than 30 minutes or until they stiobgu by gť