FunkyBunker

June 2018 Fishing Reports

328 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

Think they’re biting in the outgoing. Better luck in your next outing. I’m sure you still had a great time. I’m headed out now to fish sundown for blues or stripes: going to try the tsunami talking popper in menhaden, 3/4 smiling Bill, and some kastmasters. Also, a sluggo . 

It was a nice night. Traffic wasn't bad at all. I tend to avoid going to the saltwater during the summer because of traffic. Had there been less people where I wanted to fish, probably I would've stayed past slack high tide.  Good luck.

18 hours ago, HighEndHooker said:

In the bay?

I've seen them more frequently in the bay, than out front. 

Posted (edited)

Went out back in OC on Saturday flukin for the day. Caught a bunch of throwbacks and skates, just one keeper. Gulp and bait used, neither one really more effective than the other I guess.

Edited by hurricane1091

I hit my back bay spot Thur evening with the light gear to play with some of the smaller residents that hold over for the summer.  The wind died down, water went flat as glass and the bass went on the surface feed.  The final 90 mins of the incoming they were exploding all around me.  The action died at slack and resumed as the tide picked up.  And I couldn't land a damn thing.  I only use 2 plugs at this location.  When one doesn't work the other usually will.  Such was the case Thur.  They wanted the midnight blue Midway plug.  And they went after it tapping it on just about every 2 out of 3 casts.  And of the 11 solid hook ups every one managed to shake the plug.    It got to a point where I grabbed the plug to see if I had hook guards in.  I did not, I know I was playing with smaller fish.  Perhaps they were smaller than years past.  Either way I'll get on em next outing to see what size fish I'm playing with. 

Tried out front on Saturday morning hoping for a resident bass or blue. No dice. Than on Sunday put in some time for fluke. Couple of shorts and that was it. To be blunt, fishing has stunk for me my last 4 outings. Very quiet but at least it's been beautiful out..

Skunk is back again.  Even with the low water had a few nice cuts to drift the bugs, but nothing happening.  Had a small fluke swim around my feet for awhile, but that was the only things with fins I saw this morning.  Water cooled again with the SE wind, but was clean and clear.

17 hours ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

It was a nice night. Traffic wasn't bad at all. I tend to avoid going to the saltwater during the summer because of traffic. Had there been less people where I wanted to fish, probably I would've stayed past slack high tide.  Good luck.

Thanks I got no bites or bumps. Seaweed was present in the inlet I fished. Porpoises were around leaving inlet as the tide began to rise. Saw rays and dogfish caught. 

3 hours ago, fishless said:

I hit my back bay spot Thur evening with the light gear to play with some of the smaller residents that hold over for the summer.  The wind died down, water went flat as glass and the bass went on the surface feed.  The final 90 mins of the incoming they were exploding all around me.  The action died at slack and resumed as the tide picked up.  And I couldn't land a damn thing.  I only use 2 plugs at this location.  When one doesn't work the other usually will.  Such was the case Thur.  They wanted the midnight blue Midway plug.  And they went after it tapping it on just about every 2 out of 3 casts.  And of the 11 solid hook ups every one managed to shake the plug.    It got to a point where I grabbed the plug to see if I had hook guards in.  I did not, I know I was playing with smaller fish.  Perhaps they were smaller than years past.  Either way I'll get on em next outing to see what size fish I'm playing with. 

PM coming.

5 hours ago, fishless said:

057228CA-8540-4AC9-BFA6-8E605321C9EB.jpeg

26 mins ago, Master Debaiter said:

057228CA-8540-4AC9-BFA6-8E605321C9EB.jpeg

I know right? Im as shocked as you are to find im higher than you on the fishing social status