FunkyBunker

June 2018 Fishing Reports

344 posts in this topic

MOCO Out Front  6:00 PM to 11:00 PM   1 short Striper within the first 15 minutes.    Nothing afterwards...    At least I didn't get skunked.    I didn't see anybody get anything else except for bait guys getting a skate

IMG_3979.JPG

Much better morning then yesterday.  Yesterday had 3 blowups on the surface plug and one pickup using bugs, but nothing felt the hook.  This morning managed to find 4, 30 inches, a 26 and a couple of 23's.  Everything hit the bugs.  Fished a nice outflow that let me drift the bugs out in the current.  Fished that same spot with the plastics, but couldn't get a strike.  First drift with the bugs, fish on.

June 2, 2018  30 inches.JPG

June 2, 2018.JPG

MC last night 9 -12:30. First fish on clams was a 3-4ft dogfish. Fun fight but not what I was looking for. Ran out of clams switched to bunker and brought in 2 skates, although I believe it was the same one and another baby dogfish. Going to try again tonight. 

Posted (edited)

Can you remind me how you are rigging bugs?  There seems to be an absolute bumper crop of them this year.  Plugging has just dried up on me with this recent jump in water temp.  And I can't find any real bait to imitate.  

Edited by Dan From NJ

Posted (edited)

29 mins ago, Dan From NJ said:

Can you remind me how you are rigging bugs?  

X2 would appreciate it.  

Lot of decent blues out front on ocean county but no bass

Edited by Theseeker66

46 mins ago, Dan From NJ said:

Can you remind me how you are rigging bugs?  There seems to be an absolute bumper crop of them this year.  Plugging has just dried up on me with this recent jump in water temp.  And I can't find any real bait to imitate.  

Very simple, 5/0 or 4/0 circle hook and a split shot.  Put three bugs on at a time, toss it in the rip and feed the line as the current pulls them out.  That's it.

MC55, Thanks, That is exactly how I was taught to fish shrimp for weakies. We also used to catch those pesky Bass as by-catch. This was during the moratorium years.

Jim

1 hour ago, Great Egg said:

MC,  Have a pic of your yellow back-mounted rod holder?

I second that....   Did you make it yourself or is it a commercially available product? 

Woke up late but still made it out before boat trafffic got nuts. Back of OC, 630AM-11AM this morning. Tons of action on gulp, bigger fish coming on bucktails. Forgot the bump board, so only kept one that I knew didn’t need a tape. Probably tossed back a few 18s and 19s. This one went 24 3/4”. Hitting some rock piles with rigged snakes tonight. :ph34r:

16AB9DFE-7F4C-477E-B3D4-56DD252515B8.jpeg

2 mins ago, Local24 SSP said:

Woke up late but still made it out before boat trafffic got nuts. Back of OC, 630AM-11AM this morning. Tons of action on gulp, bigger fish coming on bucktails. Forgot the bump board, so only kept one that I knew didn’t need a tape. Probably tossed back a few 18s and 19s. This one went 24 3/4”. Hitting some rock piles with rigged snakes tonight. :ph34r:

Looks short to me.

3 hours ago, MC55 said:

Much better morning then yesterday.  Yesterday had 3 blowups on the surface plug and one pickup using bugs, but nothing felt the hook.  This morning managed to find 4, 30 inches, a 26 and a couple of 23's.  Everything hit the bugs.  Fished a nice outflow that let me drift the bugs out in the current.  Fished that same spot with the plastics, but couldn't get a strike.  First drift with the bugs, fish on.

June 2, 2018  30 inches.JPG

June 2, 2018.JPG

Absolute spot burn!!! That's the Atlantic Ocean with a jetty!!!! Mike, they'll be all over you in the morning. Go into stealth mode! BTW, did you get the 30" on your little pole?

5 mins ago, Local24 SSP said:

Why did you paint it white!