Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carbon12

Penn 710 and 706 thread size ?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What thread sizes are in the wind-on handle for the Penn 710 and 706?

Edited by carbon12

704/706 -

DRILL #3 ( .213)

.590 TO POINT

LEFT HAND

TAP 1/4--28 UN 2B . 470

I am sorry but I do not have access to the 710 drawings being we have not made them in a long time.

tony

710 is also 1/4-28 LH thread. Many folks use the 706 handles on their 710's in case that is why you are asking the question.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, davef said:

710 is also 1/4-28 LH thread. Many folks use the 706 handles on their 710's in case that is why you are asking the question.

Thanks for the responses. 

Why I asked was because I wanted to use a short set screw to time the handle so that the handle points away from the reel foot when the spool is at the top of its stroke.  The set screw would be an adjustable stop at the bottom of the handle blind hole.  The set screw idea is an (perhaps better)  alternative to using handle washers to time the reel handle.

Finding stainless steel LH 1/4-28 short set screws is probably more trouble and cost than the idea merits.

Edited by carbon12

Posted (edited)

I think you are going to find that you will still need the correct thickness of washer(s) even with the set screw. Otherwise, you will have excess in/out play on the main gear.  

Edited by davef

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, davef said:

I think you are going to find that you will still need the correct thickness of washer(s) even with the set screw. Otherwise, you will have excess in/out play on the main gear.  

You are absolutely correct. The washers are the coarse adjustment.  The set screw is there for the fine adjustment. 

Yeah, I know.  Making stuff more complicated than it needs to be.

Edited by carbon12

I have a bail-less conversion kit on my 704Z.  Handle is never in the "correct" position when spool is at top of its stroke.  Guess I'm losing some distance on my casts because of this but I've never bothered to try and get it right with washers...... I have not had any issues with break offs/wind knots etc., line getting wrapped around handle, etc. but I do not use my Z series reels when long casts are a must. Carbon12, are you doing this to improve distance or has handle position caused you other problems?  For me, the key to making these reels function well with modern line-was using Fireline fused original line.  I use 20lb on the 704 and 14lb on my 712...both work great!

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, jesgord said:

Carbon12, are you doing this to improve distance or has handle position caused you other problems?

I always want as much distance as I can get so I always cast with the spool fully extended.  My 710 Greenie has been hand lapped and super lubed with AquaShield mixed with SpeedX.  With the longer 704Z  handle, if it is not positioned at the bottom of its rotation, just flipping the reel will rotate the handle/rotor and trip the the line roller.   The bail wire has been removed but I still flip the line roller below the rotor before casting to be absolutely certain that there is very little chance of the line wrapping the line roller and snapping the line. 

I have the spool loaded with 40# Sufix 832 and it is mostly trouble free.  I'll try Fireline the next time I reline.

Edited by carbon12

6 mins ago, carbon12 said:

I always want as much distance as I can get so I always cast with the spool fully extended.  My 710 Greenie has been hand lapped and super lubed with AquaShield mixed with SpeedX.  With the longer 704Z  handle, if it is not positioned at the bottom of its rotation, just flipping the reel will rotate the handle/rotor and trip the the line roller.   The bail wire has been removed but I still flip the line roller below the rotor before casting to be absolutely certain that there is very little chance of the line wrapping the line roller and snapping the line. 

I have the spool loaded with 40# Sufix 832 and it is mostly trouble free.  I'll try Fireline the next time I reline.

You could consider packing the real with blue marine grease instead of the Aquashield/Speedx mixture? The thicker grease keeps the gear/handle from turning....also quiets down the clicking....

21 mins ago, jesgord said:

You could consider packing the real with blue marine grease instead of the Aquashield/Speedx mixture? The thicker grease keeps the gear/handle from turning....also quiets down the clicking....

Quit already with the common sense. :laugh:

26 mins ago, carbon12 said:

Quit already with the common sense. :laugh:

LOL-Will do.