Returning to Surfcasting - Lure Selection, how would you spend $250

Rate this topic

wtfooptimax200

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here after reading many, many posts that were found via google.  I am returning to surfcasting after many years of freshwater angling.  I fished from the beach as a kid and never really found success on anything other porgies and other fish caught via sandworm.  When I did throw plugs, I did it at the wrong time, with the wrong gear, and just never fell in love.  I'm returning to the sport with a renewed vigor and am ready to get on some fish.

Here's my question:

Neglecting the cost of any sort of hook upgrades/other mods, if you had roughly $250 to dedicate to lure purchases to get started fishing in the southern new england area for stripers and blues, how would you spend it?  I'm just looking to cover my bases for now and will certainly be adding as time goes on.

Thanks for any info!

Branden

-Bucktails .75 to 1.5 oz (white) and trailers

-SP Minnows (bone and black)

-Hydro Minnows (bone and black)
-Swarters (bone and blurple)

-Redfins 5" (I prefer them loaded)

-A few metals/tins (Hopkins, Kastmasters, Diamond jigs)

-Some plastic top water plugs CC pencil poppers, SS Little neck, Tsunami Talkin' Poppers, etc.

-A couple of Super Strike Darters (Bone and Black)

^ pretty good start

I'd likely leave out the swarters and hydro minnows and instead include a black bomber, some jig head/soft plastics and/or swimshads, and a 7" loaded redfin.

I'd put more emphasis on the SS Littleneck popper mentioned above.  Get yourself a 2 3/8 oz sinking version and learn to love it.

A couple other things not mentioned would include metal lips and bottle plugs.

3 mins ago, coldclam said:

Never go to the ocean or bay without a 1oz magdarter in bone and black/blue back.

These are on the cheaper end of plugs and flat out catch.

Agreed!!!!  I'd also get a package of the 6" tsunami holographic swim shads....I like the chartreuse.  I've heard  using them refereed to as "surfcasting with training wheels".  They catch!

Edited by jesgord

All good suggestions. Do you have a rod/reel combo?

I's also add some tsunami 5" pearl swim shads. Good lure to build confidence in and cover some water. I'd think about having options to cover topwater, middle of water column , and bottom.

I'd do:

topwater - tsunami talking popper

mid - swim shads, bomber long-A in bone & blurple, 2-3oz tins for windy days(Ava, crippled herring, etc), mag darter

bottom - bucktails 3/4oz-3oz. I use 1oz in most situations on a flat sandy beach but if your spot has current you could easily need more. Look for forward balance bucktails if you'll be casting from the sand (andrus jetty caster, etc) Also, trailers - Gotcha or mister twister white curly tails or otter tail

If you plan on fishing for fluke this summer (which you should!). hi-lo rig w/ 1oz bucktail & a dropper loop baitholder hook both tipped with gulp swimming mullet (chartreuse/white) or gulp shrimp

Hard to say more than what's been mentioned. Cover the bases in sizes & weight too. From 4" long & up, and depending on the rods & other gear you have, the weight range might vary more, could be from 1/2 oz & up to 3 or 4 oz particularly with spoons & jigs. Each lure should have some similar forage to cover in length & profile. Plus, the "generic" lures that might cover multiple forage. It wouldn't hurt to add some teasers into the mix as well. 

No one likes to be behind the big truck, but it's better than being under it! 

White Bucktails 3/4oz-1.5oz

SP Minnow 5" (bone, blurple, chicken scratch)

Super Strike Popper (red head)

Mag Darter 5" (Blue over black)

Stock up on the above but youll only need to spend 100. Save the other 150 for other essentials like wader, a decent rod, a saltwater reel. Once you fall in love with the sport itll be a rabit hole of spending for a few years.

Edit: PLEASE buy from your local tackle shop. If you support them they will help you pick the correct plugs and may point you in the right direction of where to cast. You wont get that from big box stores

Edited by DragonsLax48

Bucktails (3/4 - 2 oz, white, chartreuse, whatever)

SP minnows (bone & blurple)

Redfins (smokey joe, whatever)

Pencil popper (cotton Cordell, any color)

Mag Darters (bone, chartreuse, bunker, whatever)

Metals (ava's, kastmaster)

Sluggos and point jude wobble heads!

Take $250 back to bank

And run

Run away as far as possible from beach and ocean.

Ran away as far as possible from surfcusting.

Run Forest, run.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

There is a lot that goes into this but here is my input.

Rubbers- sluggo (shallow areas), got stryper (deep ares 1-3oz head), savage sand eels

Darters- yellow, black, white

sp minnow

red fin

Pencil poppers

Polaris Popper

I have fished a lot of New England and can give you more specifics depending on location you plan to fish if you would like shoot me a pm