The Fishing Nerd

When do you put out the drift sock?

7 posts in this topic

OK, obviously, when the boat is going too fast.  Question is, how do you decide when that is?

This past weekend, spent some time fluking and did pretty well, but Saturday I was in fast moving water with a bit of wind.  In hindsight, I'm thinking that I should have pulled out the drift sock and might have done better.

I was catching fish though, so it didn't occur to me.  I usually don't bother with it unless I'm not catching, or if from the jump the boat is just moving way too fast.  I'm thinking that from now on, I should have a cutoff in terms of speed, regardless of whether I'm catching.

Do you guys have a rule for when you reach for the sock?

Not necessarily the speed for me.  If i want to drift/position the boat a certain way in weird conditions (say wind against tide), or I'm fishing an afternoon tide with boat traffic present - i'll deploy the sock. 

Deploy the sock when you can't hold bottom....obviously....but more importantly change up your tactics for fluke in a fast current or breezy conditions....Jiggin' isn't the only way ya know.

Posted (edited)

I usually will deploy if the drift is greater than 1 kt, I generally don't like using a jig more than 4 oz, other rigs I will up the weight but I like a bucktail with fresh meat, blue or sea robin is my 2 favorites, skin side down.  I learned how to do a split tail blue from Joe Shute this winter and can't wait to try it, best I've ever done was a spot fillet with the tail attached hooked on a 4oz minnow bucktail bouncing over some reef balls.

Edited by Vitalsigns

If I'm having trouble keeping bottom, not catching or just feel I'm drifting too fast over 2kt I'll deploy 

Not looking to hijack the thread ....I recently bought a drift sock for fluke and like using it. I was wondering if it’s ever used when anchored to stop the boat from swinging over a piece of bottom.    I am thinking Blackfishing?