Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 on the ocean

1 hour ago, r111 said:

r111 is 111% correct, 111% of the time. Just for the record :)

I think we're talking about different types of surf here ... for me, 5-6' breakers make me question the wisdom of going out front. 1-3' - no problem. Again, I usually can walk away, drive 10 mins and launch into a bay, w no surf.

A fit and younger person in a Profisha or Viking, they can tackle 6 footers all day long and have fun while at it.

But even in a streamlined kayak, you do see people in some youtube vids, just sit there, motionless, as 7' is roaring toward them. Even at 90 to the wave, that will flip you ... you gotta be moving to punch through !

Agreed. My point was that in smaller surf almost any method will work, and even if it doesn't, no biggie. It's when the surf gets bigger than 4 foot or so that you need to be more careful. In my experience, hit the wrong wave at the wrong time in a fishing kayak and you're going for a swim. The trick is to not be there. Don't  spend any more time in the impact zone than you have to.

Pretty decent video. I’m leaning towards and outback or a compass having spent too many hours on the internet “researching.” Renting for a 1/2 day one or the other next week, but going out on the lagoon to start. 

The few few times I went out here on a kayak I had more trouble getting out than in - only gear was a rod, no holder, and a bag of lures. Not a Hobie, much lighter.

This week it’s 2-3’ Inshore and lower with the winds mostly westerly making my beach pretty damn flat, and these are the conditions I’ll be out probably.

Of course it’s quite possible I’ll dislike kayak fishing and forget the whole thing! 

On 5/31/2018 at 11:36 AM, tj7501 said:

Let's see: it holds lots and lots of gear, it's heavy/bulky and hard to carry, it's hard to paddle if the drive fails, it's hard to right when turtled, you can stand up on it easily, it's often seen with trolling motors, etc. Sounds like a boat, not a kayak. Or more like a boat trying to be a kayak or a kayak trying to be more of a boat. May be perfect for some people for certain types of fishing. Not for me as I fish saltwater 100% of the time and need the kayak to behave like a kayak or take the boat if I need to stand up and run a motor. One vessel can't be both, especially where I am.

On 6/1/2018 at 0:57 PM, kross57 said:

Agreed. My point was that in smaller surf almost any method will work, and even if it doesn't, no biggie. It's when the surf gets bigger than 4 foot or so that you need to be more careful. In my experience, hit the wrong wave at the wrong time in a fishing kayak and you're going for a swim. The trick is to not be there. Don't  spend any more time in the impact zone than you have to.

THIS ^  pretty much nails it.  The PA is the one Hobie kayak that I would never own or recommend in any water type/body dimension.  The only situation would be the person who needs to have it all with them and wants to get the exercise at the same time.  But it's typical of many to bring far more or anticipate the need to bring far more, than is actually needed to get the job done.   Do yourself a favor and get the lightest/smallest kayak possible that will get the job done for your body dimensions.  You will go fishing more often with less hastle in tougher conditions.  

Truth, if I had public launch access and cheap, safe storage in Costa Rica I would never have a Hobie Island.   Boat and motor would replace it along with my nimble Revo 11 to cover all my needs.  Here in Minnesota, it's boat and motor when I need to move multiple large distances to seek out game or have company.  Otherwise I prefer my Hobie Sport over a boat any day of the week.  It's a better fishing vessel and about as simple to handle, gear up with than anything else.  In fact, just last night in 20mph winds across a big lake, when no boaters could operate in any reasonable efficient manner, it worked like a charm.  Yeah, there was alot of water spraying about but being in my drysuit and proper gear, I could troll efficiently with no fear of capsizing while staying comfortable.  And yeah, the Walleye bite is on.  

34095982_10215239863651020_6663867541879

Edited by CR Yaker

Hobie TI - 2013

Hobie Revolution 11 - 2015

Hobie Sport - 2014

More research and questions, I’ve narrowed my choices down to the revolution 11, the compass, and the outback:

the compass doesn’t have the 180 drive - paddling backwards, is this a useful thing in the ocean or not?

the compass has rod holders towards the back, the outback has 4.  I’ll likrly have two max rods, is the position on the compass significant?

the compass has a different rudder, better or worse in the ocean?

seat differences...

Stability: I’d like the option of standing, yes on compass and outback, no on revolution?

water is dead flat today and yesterday - looks like it’ll be like this the rest of the week, fish are way out. I managed to get my lure out barely far enough to catch some small barracuda. I’m really thinking being able to get a mile or two from shore will vastly increase my fishing possibilities. I’m off to look at the hobies this afternoon, any thoughts on the above questions would be great.

Why didn’t You consider the revo 13?  In order to help you make a choice we need to know how tall you are and how much you weigh? I would like to see you catch a barracuda standing up, I bet that would be fun. Good luck with your purchase.

I’m 6’, 175. 

Here are the issues most significant to my situation:

Length. I can probably fit a 12’ in my Prius with the end hanging out and the seats down. Don’t want a trailer unless absolutely necessary. I can wheel the kayak to my beach 1/4 mile, and a launch spot for the Indian river lagoon is less than a mile from my house, a better one is 5 miles away, close to Sebastian Inlet. No roof rack.

Weight, sortof. Ruled out the pro anglers for that. Outback looks fine. 

the discussion about the Pro angler in the surf was useful. I can see myself getting caught in bigger surf than it might be safe for that one, though obviously I won’t be looking for it. Don’t need the extra room particularly since I don’t expect to be out much more than say 4-5 hours max at a time. I’m all artificial and can fit my lures in a single plano box, knife, pliers, extra leader etc fits in my waist pack.

I fish every day, 7 days a week, 4-6 hours usually. So I don’t want the kayak to be too much of a hassle getting in my car, or on the beach since I expect to use it at least a few times a week depending on weather and how the fishing is on the beach.

Big fish are around here, I don’t target sharks but last year I hooked half a dozen and  brought in 3 (so I could get my spoon back!) Tarpon are around, big jacks, big snook, bull redfish, king mackerel  etc. I can see getting towed miles by, say, a shark or tarpon so seaworthiness is important.

seems like the outback might be best but it would be nice to have something maybe a little lighter. 

14 mins ago, icarussound said:

I’m 6’, 175. 

Here are the issues most significant to my situation:

Length. I can probably fit a 12’ in my Prius with the end hanging out and the seats down. Don’t want a trailer unless absolutely necessary. I can wheel the kayak to my beach 1/4 mile, and a launch spot for the Indian river lagoon is less than a mile from my house, a better one is 5 miles away, close to Sebastian Inlet. No roof rack.

Weight, sortof. Ruled out the pro anglers for that. Outback looks fine. 

the discussion about the Pro angler in the surf was useful. I can see myself getting caught in bigger surf than it might be safe for that one, though obviously I won’t be looking for it. Don’t need the extra room particularly since I don’t expect to be out much more than say 4-5 hours max at a time. I’m all artificial and can fit my lures in a single plano box, knife, pliers, extra leader etc fits in my waist pack.

I fish every day, 7 days a week, 4-6 hours usually. So I don’t want the kayak to be too much of a hassle getting in my car, or on the beach since I expect to use it at least a few times a week depending on weather and how the fishing is on the beach.

Big fish are around here, I don’t target sharks but last year I hooked half a dozen and  brought in 3 (so I could get my spoon back!) Tarpon are around, big jacks, big snook, bull redfish, king mackerel  etc. I can see getting towed miles by, say, a shark or tarpon so seaworthiness is important.

seems like the outback might be best but it would be nice to have something maybe a little lighter. 

Spot on!  I think you have a very good grip on your needs, matched to models (throw in the Rev 13).  Just a matter of preference/comfort.  Try em all out.  Lift them up.  Maybe even try loading it in your vehicle.

As far as the new 180ARC peddles.  You don't need to go backwards for your style of fishing.  Although if you get one of those big fish, you could put on more resistance by pedaling backwards???  I've not tried these pedals so just speculating.  

If forward only the GTT pedals with Turbo fins are your best choice.

Edited by CR Yaker

Hobie TI - 2013

Hobie Revolution 11 - 2015

Hobie Sport - 2014

On 6/3/2018 at 7:08 AM, kross57 said:

Exactly how I do it.

Note how critical it is to have the drive well open. Never plug it with the hobie MD plug in surf - as otherwise, the "bathtub" will fill up with water with nowhere to do ... I flipped like that once. Dont matter if it is a PA or other Hobie kayak.

Plug does have its use - for example if you're 2 miles out and mirage drive quits on you, you can paddle to the shore quite comfortably, if you plug the drive opening

Sounds like you need to swap the Prius for a Tacoma :) Or get those roof rack attachments that clamp to the door openings.

There's a reason why most east coast saltwater Hobie kayak fishermen own an Outback or a Revo 13. I believe that statement is accurate, but correct me if I'm wrong.

20 hours ago, tj7501 said:

There's a reason why most east coast saltwater Hobie kayak fishermen own an Outback or a Revo 13. I believe that statement is accurate, but correct me if I'm wrong.

That is absolutely spot on but the problem for me is the high seat. 

I challenge hobie to take that seat off the menu give a credit or have an alternative seat with pad in place for those of us that do not wish to use that elevated seat.  If not for the outback do it for the Revo 13 and 16. 

But they won’t do it....so as soon as something else comes along we are going to have to do what we have to do and that day is coming. 

30 mins ago, The Riddler said:

That is absolutely spot on but the problem for me is the high seat. 

I challenge hobie to take that seat off the menu give a credit or have an alternative seat with pad in place for those of us that do not wish to use that elevated seat.  If not for the outback do it for the Revo 13 and 16. 

But they won’t do it....so as soon as something else comes along we are going to have to do what we have to do and that day is coming. 

Seat is selling for $480 alone. Could be a nice price break for those who don't want it. I like the new seat (lowest setting), but I don't go out in rough chop and don't do many surf launches.

I timed it ... it took 218 milliseconds for him to right the kayak and get back onto it. 

All along he was sure not to kick too much with his legs :)

PA's right like a dream... but you gotta use r111's World Famous "Righting Strip".  

Now, if there's a 18' GW circling around you ... sure would make for a fun exercize . If significant other manages to salvage the gopro footage and upload it to youtube, that would help with burial expenses