Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Livefreeordie

Help, I need to fix/replace bail trip ssv5500

5 posts in this topic

Last night, on a beach, catching nothing, and....my bail won't snap shut, so I wiggle and force it. It snapped shut. So, now I want to cast again, but it won't open. So, I wiggle and force it (full well knowing there was a chance I would break something). Well, after forcing it open, the bail trip won't work/engage and the bail arm is floppy (intact, not bent, just won't snap open or closed)

I'm gonna open it up tonight, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling with a few questions.Any advice founded on knowledge/experience will be appreciated

1) If I need to buy new parts, does a new rotor include bail arm, spring, etc..or do I order each little part separate?

2) What should I be looking for? I KNOW there will be gunk and some corrosion. I grease the little bail trip area in a futile attempt to keep debris out, but the reel's been underwater and fished in rough conditions

3) Could it just be the spring? Maybe the spring jumped track, got pinched, and broke and now won't reload the bail trip?

I am gonna clean and check my 4500 and 5500 tonight (it takes me hours to breakdown, clean, grease, and reassemble), and I can fish with my 4500 for a while, but there's decent fish around and I want to get the 5500 back up and running. Help, please.

all I can see wrong is that the bail spring is broken. I hope that by replacing it I'll be back in business. Bail springs are a pita to replace.

Posted (edited)

Most likely bail spring and pivot arm need to be replaced.  The SSV bail assembly is very easy to re-assemble.  Pic courtesy of Scott's. 

tony

ssv b.jpg

Edited by PENN Fishing

I will take the suggestion and order the pivot arm, too. The pics are helpful, and might save me from re-assembling a few times. Thanks

I don't doubt the bail assembly is an easy install for pros, and I think I remember a technique to hold the spring in place while you get the cover back on. When last the spring jumped the track, I cut a piece of clear plastic, it was some packaging, and used it like a spatula to hold the spring down, and slid it out as I replaced the cover) I also remember trying 5x...BOING...now I gotta go find the spring and try again. The 5500, being bigger, was easier than the 4500

Intended to order today while at work, but the bastids kept me busy all day; which is fortuitous....I would not have thought to purchase the pivot arm

Thanks Penn/Tony

yeah, I needed the pivot arm, too. The little nub that sticks in the hole was broken off. 10 minutes on the phone with courteous lady, $7.50, and 2 days shipping later...now I'm ready to go install the parts (after looking at the above pics, again). I bought an extra spring, in case.

Thanks Penn