BOSTON HARBOR REPORT 2018

Rate this topic

zakmio

Fished Sunday but wasn't able to get out until midday. Quickly found schools of pogies in some pretty shallow water. No bigger fish on them. Took some live ones to a spot nearby and had steady action the entire time. Lots of fish in the low 30" range with larger ones mixed in. Biggest fish landed was 35lbs. All let go so they can grow!

IMG_0211.JPG.20d38b2118127c334f84bd6ae7165b77.JPGIMG_0212.JPG.cf21e344a9f1a1544ac1889e4fd07db3.JPG

50 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Pogies are good for one thing.....My omega protein pills....

I pray all these pogies get netted. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!

20180801_224818.jpg.2b7984ca1077bb1cb3322c00bd470230.jpg

???

> what.

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Absolute parking lot around the harbor yesterday. Couldn’t even fish in a lot of spots. Must have been the yearly cabin cruiser Googan going full speed past boats a quarter its size fest. 

At least there were schools of pogies a mile long. Good for the environment, terrible for the fishing

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a success!  Some friends and I took a charter out Saturday morning (Brian Coombs/Get Tight) and had a great time learning some technique and catching some fish.  Bagged a 36" striper off live pogies out by the islands and a couple schoolies on diamond jigs closer to the airport.  Also ripped a few pogies for the live well which was a new experience for me.

Went this morning before work behind schraffts. Saw some jumps, and heard a slurp or two near me but that was it. Not even a hit. Another guy there weight and bait with scallops (havnt heard of that before but he said its effective). Lots of little baits around, pogies were there last night, splashing but i didnt see them this morning idn what t say. About to give up on that spot, skunked a few times now. Tide wasn't favorable, i caught the last 2 hours of the outgoing. Maybe i'll give it another early morning shot on an incoming

Anybody have any luck here? Post pogiepocalypse preferably but tbh i'm curious if anyone ever hooks up there

Going back to the boat so i can hit spots i know are productive

11 hours ago, gulino12 said:

Went this morning before work behind schraffts. Saw some jumps, and heard a slurp or two near me but that was it. Not even a hit. Another guy there weight and bait with scallops (havnt heard of that before but he said its effective). Lots of little baits around, pogies were there last night, splashing but i didnt see them this morning idn what t say. About to give up on that spot, skunked a few times now. Tide wasn't favorable, i caught the last 2 hours of the outgoing. Maybe i'll give it another early morning shot on an incoming

Anybody have any luck here? Post pogiepocalypse preferably but tbh i'm curious if anyone ever hooks up there

Going back to the boat so i can hit spots i know are productive

I live very close- this summer I have tried at all times and especially at the right times, never even a bite. I'm done there. 

Well that’s disappointing, guess I’m back to wondering around the waterfront. I’ll have to take a closer look at the north end for water front access that isn’t controlled like a prison or isn’t 15 ft above the water line.... I don’t even care about having to walk s mike for Parking at this point. 

Anybody ever tried over by pier 6 in Charlestown? 

Was out on the boat sunday morning. While prepping the boat at 6 saw a lot of silversides (i'm still working on IDs of these little fish so they might have been PB or something else but were 1-3"ish and silver if that helps) way inshore getting spread and hit real hard but was unable to "match the hatch" and get any action. We went out and tried snagging pogies inside but they were too spread out.  Came upon up on alot of birds hitting the water hard in the area of fore river bridge, cast the weighted trebles and then realized they were schoolies so we moved on. Could not find any so we moved out to the ledges to get macks. We couldnt, and we didnt even see anyone getting any. One guy i suspect might have grabbed one or two as then he should over to a close spot and was only there for 20 minutes before he came back to snag more- assume he hooked up and needed more baits but thats a guess. We ended up just trolling nearby with a 10' eel and pogie trailer. Neither even got  a hit, and got fouled pretty quickly. After getting a little bored i grabbed my light inshore spinner (stradic 5k on a 3/8 - 2oz 7' rod with 30# PP and 3' 50# fluro) and tossed a 7" hogey to some rocks just 10 yards out i knew in 10' as we trolled past. I immediately  got hit and it ran so hard i thought i got wrapped in the prop (he ran right under and across the stern before i knew what happened) we stopped the engine and he was still running. I fought this fish for  a solid 25 minutes, more likely 30 as I didn't look at my watch the first 10. I'd work him out from a boulder for 5 minutes and hed run 50 plus yards, he had to have had 100 yards at one point as my spool was getting thing and i was getting worried. My thumb was on fire from the spool. Finally i got about vert with him for the fourth time working him off the boulders he so loved and he was able to rub my line enough and break me off. Iv caught good fish before and i'm confident this would have been my biggest ever, so i estimate him north of 45 lbs. I know some people will say it wasnt that much you had a light set up- im aware and thats why is said 45 and not 50+. It was a monster fish, even though i lost it it really reminded me of how fun it is when you hook a huge fish and what we're out there for. Shes still out there, hopefully she'll kick out more fish for us to enjoy but if someone grabs a monster off hull and finds a blurple 2 oz 7 " SE barbarian jig, let me know how big she is (the jig is my gift to you at the cost of my drag washers) 

We hit that schoolie action on the way back as a consolation prize, but i cant stop think about the one that got away. Tight lines guys, they are out there so keep at it. I had been getting frustrated but im back addicted as hell again. Good luck guys!