Otshawytsha

Does U.S. Fly Fishing Need Another River Runs Through It?

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Some of us who were there when the hurricane hit remember the explosion in interest, opportunity, traffic, gear, marketing and other variables that occurred in the wake of the first Brad Pitt vehicle with it's "shadow casting" and period details of Prohibition era Montana. Do you think another such movie could be the shot in the arm that the fly fishing industry needs? 

If such a movie were to arrive, what sort of reactions might there be to it in the industry? For example, it's highly doubtful any brick and mortar fly shops would spring up in places far far away from fishable trout water, which is what happened way back when. 

Would you welcome a River Runs Through It Redux? Or did you dislike the noxious effects of the first film? 

Did you know this movie was Brad Pitt's first leading role in a film? Do you feel old now?

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/a-river-runs-through-it-1992

large_xX4H1hZG9IgSRkC0LANbPQ0StJi.jpg

Edited by Otshawytsha

Posted (edited)

Brad Pitt BEFORE and Brad Pitt AFTER...

ps

I'm older than some of the islands in the Pacific ring of fire... and feel it...

I'd watch a Redux unless it's on Netflix... 

It might help light a fire and inspire some interest... maybe... 

but I suspect that today's target audience would rather "virtual fly fish" on the couch in the basement with their online gaming gear...

fullsizeoutput_2456.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2454.jpeg

Edited by petegray

Posted (edited)

I have several good ideas for a film--think single-handed rod clique vs. two handed clique fighting for control of a summer steelhead and salmon river in Pacific Northwest and the dramatic situations that arise therefrom and a woman whose brother is in on clique but whose suitor is in an another set against backdrop of first year of U.S. war against Japan with Japanese submarines cruising the Pacific just off the bar to the river and perhaps even a Japanese commando force assaulting the river and massacring a group of fishermen etc.--but I don't want to give them away yet.  

Well, here's a teaser from a script I'm working on:

7.jpg

Edited by Otshawytsha

That was then, this is now.

Audiences have changed. A story written by an old, religious white man about his white sons will he seen very differently than the original. 

Hollywood has changed. Today they would have to cast a non-white woman in the leadIng, oh,wait, that’s not the storyline. 

The opportunity set for weekend entertainment has changed. Too many devices and pixels to compete with Montana and fish. 

I don’t know. Seems to me that if a viewing of the latest integration of The Fly Fishing Film Tour can’t get someone excited to give it a try then they are not open to the sport. I watched two on a recent flight and I was Jonesing for a fix. 

I know the industry may need a boost, but here in the salt on the east coast there are enough fishermen that many spots get crowded, trashed or closed to access due to illegal parking, bait boxes and beer cans left around, and just a general disrespect. I like it quiet and enjoyable. I don't mind sharing the waters with a few other fishermen, but too many people means the quality of the experience is diminished. 

""Some people say awful things about [flatwings] I have no idea why.
Most of these people who do are new to the salt or are expert wanna-bees[sic]. They were not even around when Flatwings were developed and I wish they had stayed exactly where they were (in the movie theater wanting to be Brad Pitt)
"

"
Flatwings and landlocks and the bull**it gossip" by J. Kenny Abrames "

816af9b6e91e64e3ff8ae99b1678c327.jpg

Fly fishing is difficult, expensive and time consuming.  Fly fishing went the way of sailboarding for good reason.  Which reminds me....I've got some salt water fly fishing gear I should sell.  I doubt my worn out shoulders will let me use it anyway.

I still prefer fly fishing in fresh water though.

Cranky bunch of old men, we are.  

A woman dealing with breast cancer surgery, as a protagonist, who gets brought by a friend into Casting For Recovery and meets her true love while there?  

I offer the idea for all aspiring scriptwriters out there, with the suggestion that an older actress who has grappled with cancer would do better then a hot babe for whom life is still all sweet. 

Posted (edited)

I like the idea BrianBM but you gotta remember part of the whole ARRTI appeal was being transported to another era, another time, when there were neither televisions nor easily available recreational marijuana. I think for ARRTI 2 to be a real success--defined as being a marketing boon and boom for the FF industry--you need to connect fly fishing with a sense of nostalgia and transport to another time and place, which can only be done via the magic of movies. Although the poster above notes that the movie biz has changed too and their reach my be forever reduced in terms of shaping mass culture views about little backwaters like fly fishing. But that won't stop the cult from trying to sell a cult-friendly version of ARRTI 2 to a major motion picture star like Tom Cruise, Jake Gyllenhall, or Ben Affleck--talking about New Englad School of Fly Tying not Scientology, but same deal. 

Also, as J. Kenney Abrames shrewdly assessed in that quote above, you need the male audience members to identify with the doomed tragic hero, and the female audience to basically drool over him, in order to get people from the movie theater out to the salt rivers and salt ponds (if ARRTI 2 was based in Rhode Island and focused around a dangerous backwoods fly fishing cult stuck in the past sort of like that french plantation family in Apocalypse Now DVD extras cut scene, if you watched that or Deliverance). 

Edited by Otshawytsha

I always thought the Brad Pitt character from ARRTI was the most  interesting character from that  movie.  I little research I did shows he was much more a hell-raiser than the movie lets on... How about a prequel TV miniseries starting before the events of the original. So you have the nostaglia, the intersting time peace, and of course in MHO, though the boys would get into all sorts of troube, in the end, they would  have  a moral compass, protect each other and friends along the way, and have strong family values,  something I think  is slowly erroding away in todays world....  Just my 2 cents 

15 hours ago, mako capt said:

Fly fishing is difficult, expensive and time consuming.  Fly fishing went the way of sailboarding for good reason.  Which reminds me....I've got some salt water fly fishing gear I should sell.  I doubt my worn out shoulders will let me use it anyway.

I still prefer fly fishing in fresh water though.

In search of what you seek to rid !!

I work in the event / entertainment industry.  The world is headed toward AI, Bots, Coding, complete integration with human and tech.  Every event I work is about this and all the money is headed that direction.  There is no room in these peoples mind for fishing.

We need a remake of River Runs vs Terminator.  

We are going to be fighting for our resources big time in the next 50 years.  All this technology needs a ton of power.

depressing

:(

early in the season…march, april, …i go to local urban rivers/ponds just to air out casts. I always run into early fishermen. This year, for th first time…each spot i went (3) the only other fishermen were beginner fly fishermen..i think beard growing IPA drinking hipsters might be creeping in..perhaps its some steam punk attraction at first…but i feel younger people are so void of tangible outdoor experiences it may come back..Also, river why movie was thought to be the next RRTI…but it was a bomb. 

Here's a movie that caught my eye in the previews on the big screen. But I never watched it. Didn't seem interesting. You can see from the poster that it would not really appeal directly to the male audience that fly fishing marketing companies want to reach:

SFITY1SHT-V2sml.jpg

River Why tried to chart a middle course--love story mixed with exciting fishing scenes. Total failure from the marketing point of view of fly fishing companies. 

As a critique of the artwork for this movie, compare the wildly tailing line in the ARRTI poster which is out of control and crazy but poetic and communicates something neat vs. the tiny mini-fly rod in the River Why poster. 

91Xp5e2UvcL._SL1500_.jpg