Voo31

Floating vs. Sinking needle

22 posts in this topic

I am getting some needles together for this July/August and was wondering what you guys find to be more effective- floating or sinking needles?  I have caught on both but just haven't used needles enough to really know. When it comes to eelskins, should the needle be a sinking one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right I should have included that, relatively calm, boulder fields and some current (Cuttyhunk waters)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no need need/use for a floating needle, only does one thing 

 

I’d rather have a very slow sinking needle I can fish on the surface or just below or deeper if you let it sink. My favorite off the shelf needle for that is the 1.75oz Gibbs in purple/silver, change out the hooks first though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't pretend to be an expert on needles (that's for DZ!) but I do love fishing them.  Even after selling a bunch of them over the winter i still have close to 50 of them, ranging from full-floating to "sink like a stick of lead" and everything in between.

 

I'm not a huge fan of full-floating (they sit flat on the surface) needles for the most part.  Nor have I ever loved the "lead sticks".

 

Unlike lots of folks who swear by SS needles, I only fish them in certain conditions, for I do not find them to be very versatile.  (Yes, I am indeed inviting feedback and ideas with this comment.)

 

Slow- to moderate-sinking thick needles are my faves.  I prefer needles that sink at 15-30* or so relative to the water surface.

 

They can be brought to the surface very quickly, yet can be allowed to sink and fished well below the surface.  

 

One can fish them like a pencil, a spook, a glider, or a slider, as well as sort of dead-sticking them on or near the surface.  

 

Choopy makes a great line of needles that sink at very different rates (see their web site for sink rate tests).  I also use a lot of BMs because I like their options for sizes and sink rates, and they sink the way that I like.  John G (LIFISHINVT) made some great needles, many of which are always in my surf bag.  

 

Friends have given me some needles by Saltys and I just love them, despite the poor paint, because they swim well and sink well.

 

I cannot comment on Cutty, since my first trip there will be in three weeks.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the feedback, i appreciate it. In my limited experience I find them to be best on a calm night, and the structure/current to not really matter, but I caught on both floating and sinking. I am turning some needles this week and just cant decide on wether or not to make them slow sinking or floating. Ill see if a needle expert can contribute on the floating/sinking catch ratio. As for Cutty @Southcoastphil, ill be there all summer (leaving next weekend) as I live and work there, ill pm you some info if youd like and maybe we can meet up while you are in town

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chefchris401 said:

I have no need need/use for a floating needle, only does one thing 

 

I’d rather have a very slow sinking needle I can fish on the surface or just below or deeper if you let it sink. My favorite off the shelf needle for that is the 1.75oz Gibbs in purple/silver, change out the hooks first though 

Voo, note chef's polite comment, "off the shelf". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voo31 said:

Thanks for all the feedback, i appreciate it. In my limited experience I find them to be best on a calm night, and the structure/current to not really matter, but I caught on both floating and sinking. I am turning some needles this week and just cant decide on wether or not to make them slow sinking or floating. Ill see if a needle expert can contribute on the floating/sinking catch ratio. As for Cutty @Southcoastphil, ill be there all summer (leaving next weekend) as I live and work there, ill pm you some info if youd like and maybe we can meet up while you are in town

Thanks!

 

I'll be going with a guide, my friend Dave Peros out of Falmouth for this first trip and we will be fishing from one of his boats, which I thought was a reasonable way to learn a lot about Cutty in a short period of time.

 

Living in Dartmouth, it is very easy for me to get there, and I fully expect that this trip will be the first of many!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn

I miss living in New Bedford.

Everything was so close.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like and use both. there are a few situations and places where floaters work very well for me. i always have one in the bag. one of the rm smith runs was very good for those.

 

in general, it pays to have and understand how a good variety of them will fish. for a lure that generally looks the same across all makes they all behave very differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drew C. said:

i like and use both. there are a few situations and places where floaters work very well for me. i always have one in the bag. one of the rm smith runs was very good for those.

 

in general, it pays to have and understand how a good variety of them will fish. for a lure that generally looks the same across all makes they all behave very differently.

Even a needle that looks the same as other needles *by the same builder* can behave VERY differently, depending on how it was loaded (or is the term "leaded"?) by the builder.  For example, I fish a lot of LIFISHINVT needles because I find thicker needles to be more versatile.  If you were to look at a handful of them on a table you'd swear that they were identical, but you'd be wrong, because they'd range from full float to moderately fast sink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time and place for all needles , absolutely have a floater in a boulder  Field. 

 

I'd recommend a little variety , eel skins are for all needles if you ask me. 

 

Weight is critcal so having multiple types is always a good thing and a must for me. 

 

Not sure how many plugs you carry but I usually have atleast 5 needles in my bag and 100 in the truck and 1,000 at home. But that's  me I'm a needlefish addict.

 

You can load any needle and doctor it to make it do what you want it to do , plastic or wood. 

 

As I tend to lean towards SS needles since they come in a good vierty of weights , Gibbs , BM , Choopy , Frank stiener and habs are always in rotation. 

 

Loaded SS and stock SS are always a great choice and I think to be the most versatile needle on the market. IMO that is.

 

 I can go on about different rigging styles also. But for the most part a single hook is what I use on the rear. A tied siwash that is. I'll send some pictures shortly as I stopped packing my bag to reply here. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Voo31 said:

Thanks for all the feedback, i appreciate it. In my limited experience I find them to be best on a calm night, and the structure/current to not really matter, but I caught on both floating and sinking. I am turning some needles this week and just cant decide on wether or not to make them slow sinking or floating. Ill see if a needle expert can contribute on the floating/sinking catch ratio. As for Cutty @Southcoastphil, ill be there all summer (leaving next weekend) as I live and work there, ill pm you some info if youd like and maybe we can meet up while you are in town

 

 

Hey Voo , as floaters always are good to have , 99% of the time I'm using something that sinks and if it doesn't sink how I might want it to , it's loaded either with HG or lead . I fish needles every night , all conditions not matter what bait is present , sometimes I'll have up to 15 needles in my bag and a ton of options. Huge fan. Would actually love to try any of yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ReelSharp said:

 

 

Hey Voo , as floaters always are good to have , 99% of the time I'm using something that sinks and if it doesn't sink how I might want it to , it's loaded either with HG or lead . I fish needles every night , all conditions not matter what bait is present , sometimes I'll have up to 15 needles in my bag and a ton of options. Huge fan. Would actually love to try any of yours.

I too usually carry a lot of needles, mainly dannys and needles. Theres just something about needles I like- Currently my needles resemble a thick wadd, the only problem with that is that it means itll take a lot to make em sink. The floating ones swim fine so far, im just planning on sinking ones now. Maybe add weight holes between the belly and tail weights. I will defenitly send some your way once I have perfected them. All I know is I find tons of needles washed up on Cutty and they cant all be from rocks....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.