dbjpb

replaced trebles with single hooks

25 posts in this topic

In order to do less harm to fish and make it easier to unhook them I converted most of my lures with treble hooks to to single hooks.

I have done this to many SP minnows and other plugs. The problem I have encountered is that the front hook hangs up on the body of the lure  making the action poor. If  I leave the front hook off the action is not good either. Any suggestions?  When the front hook does not hang up on the body it works well. 

Posted (edited)

I've seen some SPs set up for blues use a small dangling weight instead of front hook. I've tried it with little luck, the action still seemed off.

Edited by gellfex

Posted (edited)

Take 2 of the hooks on the treble & bend them in making them ineffective..... some guys snip the hooks off right under the barb

Bending them in leaves all the intended hook weight..... snipping reduces it slightly.

Edited by BillZ

I changed many of plugs over to single in-line hooks over the past couple of years.  I noticed this spring, when I actually got into some fish for a change, that hookup rate was significantly less for plugs with two in-line hooks.   Thinking of putting a treble on the bottom, leaving the single on the back.  I do crush the barbs on my hooks as well, which makes release easier.

Posted (edited)

I guess I'm with the oddball folks because nothing breaks my heart more than losing big fish and it happens while jigging with single hooks. I'll toss plugs out with single trebles in the belly and won't lose sleep about it. Some daiwa sp's can take on water. Some daiwa sp's wont swim right out of the package!  I fish a single belly treble on all my SP's and have caught everything from Striped Bass to SBFT. Kings macks love em as well as Albies and Bones.

I fish single trebles because it's easier to unhook and let em go, if you choose too. I also don't have to worry about a thrashing fish swing a tail treble into my body.

There isn't one way.

Edited by The Riddler

I also find the hook rate with single hooks to be lousy.

I crush the barbs on the back treble and i also grind off one of the hooks on the back treble.

Works for me.

Posted (edited)

With gators it didn’t matter the other day.  I fished a beat up X-rap with just a single hook in the rear, no belly hook.   The action, while more wild and erratic than if it had both treble hooks on, drove the big blues crazy, even the finicky ones.  

Gues, it depends on type of lure.  

C04D296E-C473-4EC3-8939-6550C9C70EF6.jpeg

Edited by GeoffT

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, GeoffT said:

With gators it didn’t matter the other day.  I fished a beat up X-rap with just a single hook in the rear, no belly hook.   The action, while more wild and erratic than if it had both treble hooks on, drove the big blues crazy, even the finicky ones.  

Actually, I think it depends more on the type of fish. I have done quite well fishing for blues using plugs with no hooks at all. Its amazing how many of them won't let go until they are right at the boat. But I really doubt you fish a plug with a single rusty hook for bass.

Just curious, but how do you know which blues are the finicky ones? Don't they eat their vegetables?.

Edited by kross57

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, kross57 said:

Actually, I think it depends more on the type of fish. I have done quite well fishing for blues using plugs with no hooks at all. Its amazing how many of them won't let go until they are right at the boat. But I really doubt you fish a plug with a single rusty hook for bass.

Just curious, but how do you know which blues are the finicky ones? Don't they eat their vegetables?.

I used the same plug last year around this time.  It was really stupid fishing then.   This time they weren’t as spread out and real picky.  They wouldn’t commit to top water.  Some of the guys out there actually weren’t catching.  In fact, they had to troll to find them.  I was able to stay in place and cast for them but only caught with this lure. :shrug:

Edited by GeoffT

5 hours ago, GeoffT said:

I used the same plug last year around this time.  It was really stupid fishing then.   This time they weren’t as spread out and real picky.  They wouldn’t commit to top water.  Some of the guys out there actually weren’t catching.  In fact, they had to troll to find them.  I was able to stay in place and cast for them but only caught with this lure. :shrug:

Yeah, I was out the other day. Catching fish after fish.  Caught on topwater, small plugs, big ones. Didn't seem to matter much. This other guy kept crawling closer and closer to me. I guess he figured that if he couldn't catch them, the only fish must be right in my lap. When he got too close I would just move to find fish someplace else. It was kinda sad watching him struggle. Sometimes it is the fisherman that matters, not the fish or the lure. 

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, GeoffT said:

C04D296E-C473-4EC3-8939-6550C9C70EF6.jpeg

And, I guess everybody has a different definition of "lots of fish". But this is what a lure looks like when blues love it. lol

bluefish plug.jpg

Edited by kross57

9 hours ago, kross57 said:

Yeah, I was out the other day. Catching fish after fish.  Caught on topwater, small plugs, big ones. Didn't seem to matter much. This other guy kept crawling closer and closer to me. I guess he figured that if he couldn't catch them, the only fish must be right in my lap. When he got too close I would just move to find fish someplace else. It was kinda sad watching him struggle. Sometimes it is the fisherman that matters, not the fish or the lure.

Ill bet the same guy then posted on here how he was killing big blues when others struggled. LMOA

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't surprise me. I know I won't catch the most or biggest fish every time out, and that's OK. Nobody does. But I would rather get nothing than glom onto another angler. Why people do this, I will never understand. Fish are rarely in only one place. Even if they are, when I see someone is already there, congratulations. I'll find my own. In my opinion, if their longest cast and yours can intersect, you are way too close. But people do this to other folks constantly. I am sorely tempted to put a bunker snag right between their eyes.

To be clear, I'm not talking about friends fishing together, That's quite different. 

Edited by kross57