Twisted Line

Rate this topic

paddie

This has become a major PITA......Any tips on how to either prevent this from happening or at least address it while fishing? Basically line is getting kinked and not passing through stripping guides after 20 or 30 feet. Thanks

I don't know how to prevent it but to get rid of it, I've read you pull out about 3 or 4 feet, let it hang between the reel and the stripping guide and if it twists onto itself, remove the reel (or spool) and rotate it to eliminate the twists.  Then, pull that line out and repeat with the next 3 or 4 feet.  I need to do this as well.

I don't get this much in salt water but I do when I am Trout fishing and I am fairly confident that happens because of my casting stroke. I do the spool thing although there are videos that show how to get rid og them I just can't seem to get that to work for me.

With regards to salt water. The first think I do before I make my first cast I pull line of the reel and stretch it. Some lines do seem to have a tendency to do this more than others which I think is the type of core the line has. What I would do with those lines is I would walk the entire fly line out in a straight line and remove the leader. I would then walk back to the connection at the backing and i would then pull the fly though my finger s and walk slowly forward to push the coils out all the way to the tip. I would do this three or four times and then I would tie in a piece of heavy mono and tie it off to a solid object and walk back to the other end and stretch the line and hold it. and repeat that process three or four times. That seemed to solve my problem in most cases.

Hope this helps. I suspect you will get other ideas that may work better but that is what I did.

Curious as to what type of line we are talking about.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

You.....and me......and everyone else.......to some degree depending on which casting stokes they are using, ARE introducing a twist into the line.......with that stroke.  A normal fly, even a spinning one, is NOT going to put twist into a fly line all the way back to the reel.  Roll casting seems to do it most consistently for me  When fishing I often begin every cast with a roll.  The twist is created just outward from the rod tip, then gets retrieved as the cast is worked and eventually infects your running line portion.  Then the running line begins to spin and twist and good luck from there on getting any clean shoot from the running line.

I used to untwist it the old Neanderthal method.......stop fishing, UNmount the reel, and rotate the reel 10-15 times in a counter-twist direction.  Then REmount the reel.  Drop it once ot twice for good luck.  Resume fishing

There is a MUCH cleaner, faster way, and there are multiple Youtube videos that demonstrate it.....which I don't have time to go looking for.

Throw all the line out so there is no loose slack between the reel and the first stripping guide.  Hold the rod horizontally with both hands, the rod between index and thumb forming an open "O" so that the rod can rotate, one up toward the stripping guide, the other just in front of the handle.  Keep the line INSIDE the "O" of your fingers.  SPIN the rod/reel AXIALLY between your fingers counter direction to the twist.  For right handed me, that is, reel to my right hand side, over the top from the outside and down inside between me and the rod.  10 times seems to work about as well generically as any other count.  Shake the counter-spin out through the slack beyond the rod tip.  Resume fishing.  Takes about 6- 7 seconds.....tops.  Repeat randomly, whenever during the day as needed.

Learning this simple and fast line-twist-fix probably did more to improve my casting, fishing, and general enjoyment of a day on the water than discovering weiht-forward fly lines.

Edited by Peter Patricelli

Most line twist happens when the fly line is put on the reel. The line needs to come off the storage spool straight, by rotating the spool, not coiled off the spool. To uncoil a twisted line, pull all the line off the reel in a long straight line. then grip the line between your thumb and first finger and walk down the length of the line untwisting it. You may have to do the untwisting several times.

The other method is to feed out all your line in a fast moving river or behind a boat without a fly. This is a faster way of untwisting your fly line.

I can't remember the brand, but  have a feeling it is scientific Angler intermediate 4wt line. I ordered an extra spool and it came pre-wound.

Bonefish, I pretty much do the same method strip out some line and stretch out at least what I plan to cast.

I'm fishing saltwater using mostly small popper, whistler, and lefties

last night I tied my leader around a post and emptied the spool. Leaned back on it for a good 30 seconds steady pull and the n wound it up. This morning was better only problem was getting skunked

1 hour ago, Peter Patricelli said:

You.....and me......and everyone else.......to some degree depending on which casting stokes they are using, ARE introducing a twist into the line.......with that stroke.  A normal fly, even a spinning one, is NOT going to put twist into a fly line all the way back to the reel.  Roll casting seems to do it most consistently for me  When fishing I often begin every cast with a roll.  The twist is created just outward from the rod tip, then gets retrieved as the cast is worked and eventually infects your running line portion.  Then the running line begins to spin and twist and good luck from there on getting any clean shoot from the running line.

I used to untwist it the old Neanderthal method.......stop fishing, UNmount the reel, and rotate the reel 10-15 times in a counter-twist direction.  Then REmount the reel.  Drop it once ot twice for good luck.  Resume fishing

There is a MUCH cleaner, faster way, and there are multiple Youtube videos that demonstrate it.....which I don't have time to go looking for.

Throw all the line out so there is no loose slack between the reel and the first stripping guide.  Hold the rod horizontally with both hands, the rod between index and thumb forming an open "O" so that the rod can rotate, one up toward the stripping guide, the other just in front of the handle.  Keep the line INSIDE the "O" of your fingers.  SPIN the rod/reel AXIALLY between your fingers counter direction to the twist.  For right handed me, that is, reel to my right hand side, over the top from the outside and down inside between me and the rod.  10 times seems to work about as well generically as any other count.  Shake the counter-spin out through the slack beyond the rod tip.  Resume fishing.  Takes about 6- 7 seconds.....tops.  Repeat randomly, whenever during the day as needed.

Learning this simple and fast line-twist-fix probably did more to improve my casting, fishing, and general enjoyment of a day on the water than discovering weiht-forward fly lines.

Thanks Ill take that method over the former

22 mins ago, scruffy_fish said:

Most line twist happens when the fly line is put on the reel. The line needs to come off the storage spool straight, by rotating the spool, not coiled off the spool. To uncoil a twisted line, pull all the line off the reel in a long straight line. then grip the line between your thumb and first finger and walk down the length of the line untwisting it. You may have to do the untwisting several times.

The other method is to feed out all your line in a fast moving river or behind a boat without a fly. This is a faster way of untwisting your fly line.

this makes sense to........

I get it from roll casting too, for me Rio lines seem to get it worse than others, in fact I removed my Rio Mainstream last night for that reason. It also seems worse with clear lines but maybe that's a hallucination. I use Peter's method and it works, but after you do the rod spinning you want to make sure you make the next cast shoot all the line and snap to the reel - that gets the twist out. The thin running line of my SA Sonar sink tip gets it bad too despite not being clear but I think that's because with the sink tip I tend to roll cast more often and more vigorously to pick up for the next cast. Someday some polymer engineer will find a way to make a twist resistant line. Hmm, I work with a polymer engineer, I'm going to have to buy him a beer and discuss....

15 hours ago, paddie said:

This has become a major PITA......Any tips on how to either prevent this from happening or at least address it while fishing? Basically line is getting kinked and not passing through stripping guides after 20 or 30 feet. Thanks

I would start research el line twisto. I have read that casting can add twist. I have also read that the fly itself can add it, as opposed to a different fly using same cast. Look up youtube videos for removing line twist. You basically need to spin the rod in the opposite direction of the twist. I get twist in one direction and always spin counterclockwise. 20 quick spins--learn to spin rather than turning the whole rod laboriously: you use your right hand as a sort of socket for the fighting butt and use your lefet hand as a kind of a support then induce the spin with both hands or right hand alone. Takes five seconds or so, then shake it out!

Just make sure you are removing and not adding twist!

4 hours ago, Peter Patricelli said:

Not Local66--as in he doesn't get line twist! I doubt he could tell us why he doesn't get it, but I think he just has a pretty good casting stroke with excellent tracking. 

"Not Local66--as in he doesn't get line twist!"

Yeah??  Well......I don't get wind knots.  So THERE!

I control my wind.......or at least certainly never break it!

"Someday some polymer engineer will find a way to make a twist resistant line."

But first you have to find a twist resistant polymer engineer!  Good luck with that!

I'm on a roll......but maybe twisted. 

1. Stretch line before use - always

2. Determine which way its twisted, clockwise or counterclockwise

3. Do what video below says...

I've been using this technique for a few years, especially on twisted running lines with shooting heads.  It works great!  From experience, untwisting 6 or 7 revolutions is most often all you need.