Ferrule Issues

Rate this topic

frazerp

I just removed several guides from a AFAW Century rod & now having trouble with getting the male spigot into the female ferrule. The rod has been sitting in my sem-conditioned garage over the winter & I did not check the ferrule fit prior to removing the guides.

Probably cleaned the male ferrule w/denatured alcohol in removing guides, but have also since cleaned the male & female w/AL & a Q tip, but still to no avail !!!

They don’t mate easily & only an inch or 2 - what to do ???

Morone Saxatilis... God put them in the Surf to take them, not in the freaking boat!

AFAW Century Rod? AFAW and Century are competing UK rod Manufacturers (infact AFAW are built in China but are a UK Company) Which model rod is it?

The UK rods marketed for pendulum  casting are notorious for tightly toerances on thier spigots, also being parallel, they can  be problematic. This can be more of an issue in higher temps

Ive got 7 century's and an AFAW and when new most had some issues of spigots sticking, but usually they would go together ok, but as they warmed up during the day, they'd be stuck fast. Cooling down the spigot, rubber gloves and behind the knee grip has always worked to seperate any stuck spigots

The recomended way to maintain them is to clean thoroughly (as it sounds like you have done) and apply a dry PTFE lube.

The spigots can be carefully eased by applying PTFE lube and assembling/seperating over and over again until the desired fit is achieved. almost like lapping them together. The spigots shoud be regularly cleaned and relubed during this process, and thoroughly cleaned after to remove any graphite particles then again lubed.

Another trick is to remove the butt cap, so your not fighting a pressure/vacuum.

There was a good video posted on the Century rods facebook page a few days ago on this process. If you can find this, its well worth a look.

Assuming it is clean and fit good before. I have sanded both century and zziplexs to get a better fit. Use 600-1000 grit . Sand a little, clean with alcohol and test fit. Replete til happy. 

A second method to fit , apply grease to male portion ,white lithium works as you can see the carbon as you work the male into the female . Insert male section and work it around. , spin it several times , this will polish and finely sand the joint. Take apart and clean both sections of grease ( the grease will blacken as it contained carbon particles now.) dry fit again , repete until fit perfect fit it achieved.

i find high humidity and heat-caused tighter joints.