Who has the best bucktail material?

Rate this topic

ThrowinPlugs

Hey all, so I've been making my own bucktails for a little over a year. They look great, catch well and everything BUT I'm actually searching for much fluffier tails than I usually have. Could someone give me an idea of who sells some really fluffy tails? 

AFAIK nobody has a consistently better supply of bucktails, be they fluffy or arrow-straight, then anyone else. Generally speaking, you go and look.  Period.  

I would trust Bear's Den to try to honor a phone order for bucktails of a particular description more easily then any other source. If you're a regular at any other store, and the owner likes you, that owner might try to sort out tails to your order too.  

You remind me of an unrelated bucktail question of my own, but I'll make a different thread of it. 

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

AFAIK nobody has a consistently better supply of bucktails, be they fluffy or arrow-straight, then anyone else. Generally speaking, you go and look.  Period.  

I would trust Bear's Den to try to honor a phone order for bucktails of a particular description more easily then any other source. If you're a regular at any other store, and the owner likes you, that owner might try to sort out tails to your order too.  

You remind me of an unrelated bucktail question of my own, but I'll make a different thread of it. 

Yeah unfortunately there's really only one place near me that sells them and unfortunately the guy there doesn't like to spend money on quality tails. They always stink, are greasy and of very straight fragile hair. Maybe I'll make some calls.

Camp-Site in Huntington and Terminal Tackle have fly stuff, Camp-Site in Huntington having a lot more. There's another store in Nassau, the name of which is escaping me, that's full-time fly-only. I'm familiar with the first two only. When the name comes back to memory, I'll add the third too. 

wash the bucktails with softening conditioner for ladies hair. 

it also works for kinked, bent bucktail. 

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

59 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Camp-Site in Huntington and Terminal Tackle have fly stuff, Camp-Site in Huntington having a lot more. There's another store in Nassau, the name of which is escaping me, that's full-time fly-only. I'm familiar with the first two only. When the name comes back to memory, I'll add the third too. 

Thanks for all the info! I go to one of them, won't name which one that I haven't been happy with. 

44 mins ago, Aquacide said:

wash the bucktails with softening conditioner for ladies hair. 

it also works for kinked, bent bucktail. 

Interesting.....

If by "fluffy" you mean hair that tends to flare a lot and is more hollow than solid, then that's a characteristic which isn't documented whenever buying buck tails. Best method is to go somewhere and handle them yourself before buying anything. If you have friends who hunt deer then you'll get all the tails you could ever want, and some of them can be REALLY good too. My best tails have all come from Brad Buzzi. He's on the site here as bbuzzi if I remember correctly. If you send him a pm he could probably help you out loads.

Does Saltwater Edge still do their own range of tails? I went there the other year and they had none or much of any flytying material. I have some of their tails from years ago and they were outstanding quality.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:46 AM, Kingcohojoe said:

The Orvis store in Westbury is not worth the trip very limited supply.

I stopped in the Orvis store in NJ. They dont have much selection but what they had was nice. I got some thread too. Barlows has nice stuff. Get the high end primium tails they are worth the extra buck or so.