Rate this topic

SuperSix

On 5/22/2018 at 11:45 AM, slip n slide said:

shrimp,pretty much a springtime thing,try a muddler tied backwards,head at the back,dubbed tan for the front,good just under the surface fly in the spring

Hey big guy....there are shrimp near me all the time, maybe in the winter too if I would take out the seine net. If it's swimming and it's a shrimp then it's a meal. Was on Brewster flats last week and a close up study of the bottom I saw lots of shrimp.Larger shrimp by me....

On 5/21/2018 at 10:01 PM, bonefishdick said:

Interesting answer, I know guys who uses a full sink with a crab fly and he slays fish. In many cases it is all about the presentation, but then it seems like that really goes without saying in most situations.

This guy rules with crabs, this was one of many that day

P1080894sol.JPG.134d399217904e58628581c60ad808f1.JPG

What crab pattern works best on the beach and flats  ?  Merkin?  

cool looking pattern    

34 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

We tend to use more small Flounder Patterns

5b30df27189e7_FlounderFly.jpg.820604afb07408aa712b43522dc34fdf.jpg

With that new Avatar with the sunglasses they will be calling you Bugzy or the Energizer Bunny

Edited by ccb

On 5/21/2018 at 9:00 AM, thaistick said:

question is when (times of year, times of day, conditions) and where ( flats? oyster bars? deep channels? sod banks?

Early spring to late summer you can blind cast to deep channels and work it real slow with an occasional bumps.my all time favorite way to fish these patterns is on the flats , watching a striper hunt down and roll on crabs is like watching a different animal some would bury their face in the sand getting vertical violently killing.now it gets more technical as the temp rises  going to late summer  they get more finicky and I would have to scale down to 10 sometimes 8lbs fluoro(doubling my loop).RJ mentioned baby flounder fly I just started to fish these last spring, tough decision to make when you have too much confidence on the crab.

Screenshot_20180521-085204_Photos.jpg

Did you tie that fly?   or is it store bought?   looks very nice.  If you did tie it, what did you use to make it. 

Edited by ccb

On 22/05/2018 at 0:33 PM, thaistick said:

Hope to replicate the success We had in Maine on The Cape with these big crab flies. Going to try at any rate.

Mike

Well good luck hopefully we'll see a picture with that fly in a bass mouth. 

@stormy monday  thx...  I did not tie this one ..its also weighted so it actually sinks

thaistick

Did not happen . Mung did not help. I did get Just one fish on a very small crab blind fished.

But back again in the fall so get another chance this year.

Mike

I occasionally used crab flies in the Chesapeake & tribs. Pretty much something that needed structures like duck blinds, pilings or bulkheads, or along stretches of shore where there were sod banks. Out going tides always were best and if a narrow spot near those structures or sod banks could be found, all the better. The flies were basically yarn crabs, tied on size 2, 1 or 1/0 hooks and didn't need to match Blue crabs, but if they did, they sometimes seemed to get more strikes. We found that Stripers would check out those places more often when other prey was not as prevalent. Didn't use shrimp patterns much at all, but no reason they wouldn't work in the same places. Frankly, we can't be sure what these fish see when they view our flies. 

100_5854.JPG

100_5842.JPG

Edited by tidewaterfly

No one likes to be behind the big truck, but it's better than being under it! 

A friend mentioned that stripers will feed in tight to the beach on sand crabs during the summer in NJ. So I made a first attempt at tying one up and it caught on about the forth cast.  Pretty exciting.  Short quick strip, pause, repeat seemed to be the key. I would think the beaches close to the area you’re asking about would produce as well. 

FDCB3E6F-F255-4328-B8CA-80C1598386DC.jpeg

D762E246-572F-4E0C-970F-D0F9E4F91A94.jpeg

Edited by TimS
I’m sorry but we don’t allow videos that promote commercial sites

• 2 weeks later...

I use em in Maine, sand eel flies attract schoolies, the crab fly seems to weed them out.  Full sink on 10wt, Streamer Express I think the line is called or Coastal Express by SA.  The idea is to bounce it in the sand, the additional puffs of sand attract the bite.

IMG_20180629_224518.jpg

Edited by scooleen74

On 5/21/2018 at 7:04 PM, paulsoncall said:

I was fishing the other day in a LI sound inlet and as soon as it turned dark the stripers began feeding on the surface. I couldn’t get them to commit to anything.  Was throwing small clousers and deceivers on a floating line. Guess they could have been these crabs. 

In late May, cinder worm hatch! Same thing happened to me last year, at a LI East end bayside inlet, outgoing tide, started after dark.. Pop-pop-pop. Very frustrating. A local guide clued me in afterwards to the worm hatch.