ZB drag issue

Rate this topic

Soo what happened was i had my drag set pretty moderately, hooked ontop a fish, spool spun about 2-3 times then the drag cranked down on itself. Next day i was fooling around with it, same thing. Drag set moderately, id pull line off, the spool would spin for a full rotation or so, then the cap would spin a quarter of a turn and my drag would be locked down. Any ideas? Hope this is a simple fix. Didnt matter how loose or tight my drag was, once line started to pull back off the same thing would happen.

is it an early gen 2.

I had that problem.

Sand caused binding.

They redesigned the drag knob since.

Although it looks like they came out with a gen 1 typeknob recently

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

The drag is so progressive that it should not lock without multiple turns of the drag knob. I wonder if the spool was seated properly on the mail shaft, and was slighter higher than intended because the keyed drag washers weren’t married to the main shaft. 

5 hours ago, ged said:

The drag is so progressive that it should not lock without multiple turns of the drag knob. I wonder if the spool was seated properly on the mail shaft, and was slighter higher than intended because the keyed drag washers weren’t married to the main shaft. 

That was my first thought, ive pulled it off and put it back on multiple times to see if it had seated any differently. Hasnt changed

4 mins ago, HookLine&Sinker said:

That was my first thought, ive pulled it off and put it back on multiple times to see if it had seated any differently. Hasnt changed

Recently when i was last playing with it, i noticed when i first unscrewed the cap there was so rubbing noise from sand, and a couple sand particles inside. Nothing major....like i said only a few particles.... probably gunna have to take it all apart, anyway to flush it out safely without pulling it completely apart?

Edited by HookLine&Sinker

On 5/21/2018 at 6:16 AM, ged said:

I know you love you zee's....Not sure if the OP had the same issue as soe did ahwile back.

But this was a major problem for some early on the Gen 2's (chinese made)..whether it was a design issue or a tolerance issue on some.  It was an an issue for me and a few on here.  And not some desktop keyboard fishermen issue either.  

It wasn't a seating issue..They publicly stated to fill the holes with silicon (which didn't fix it. ) 

Then came out with a different spool that had a knob that wasn't also the spool lip.

ZB was selling upgrades to some for 140 some 200 some full price.  And the spools required different shimming internal of the body of the reel which left some like me unable to use the original spool as a spare which sucked.

Edited by scoobydoo

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Is this the reel that costs over 750 bucks?? Hard to believe they wouldn't give everyone who bgt this reel an exchange for free. I have 5 Van staals which have no issues, if they did it would be my last VS.  Hate to throw dirt on a product,but you can't stay in this business if the product doesn't perform.  lose 50#er because of a reel failure is unacceptable.