hooked408

What blank to go with for custom surf rod? Need suggestions

5 posts in this topic

Hey westcoaster.. planning to get a custom surf rod built. After looking at a few retail models from gloomis, odm, cts, etc, I figure I might as well get a custom rod built for that $600 range spent on a retail model. Pairing it with the new vr50

So now I'm in the market for a surf blank. What brand and model do you guys recommend for the blank that is sturdy/reliable? reel seat? eye? 50/50, 60/40, or 70/30 split?

I want the rod 9' - 9'6" ft range. Going to be throwing 3/4 - 4oz plugs/jigs. Thanks guys!

The 2-part question is, “what do you have now, and what do you want that would require a custom build?”

Or, if it’s just because you want some personalized bling, that’s ok too!

The thing is, most of the manufacturers you mention have rods ready to go in the length and weight ratings you’re looking for.  Others to consider are Century, Fiber Star, Black Hole, Rain Shadow, Cousins, and Lamiglass. 

Now, there are manufacturers that are focused on building blanks and OEMing these to other manufacturers and custom builders. CTS and Rain Shadow are top of mind in this regard,  with Rod Geeks and NorthFork composites also being in the space. 

Another suggestion is to show up at the hat fling this summer. Most of us bring one or two of our rods for everyone else to check out.

Now, if I had a nice big bank account, and I just had to order a custom rod tonight, it would probably be a 10 or 11 foot CTS Vapor Trail. The guys who have ‘em love ‘em.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

The 2-part question is, “what do you have now, and what do you want that would require a custom build?”

Or, if it’s just because you want some personalized bling, that’s ok too!

The thing is, most of the manufacturers you mention have rods ready to go in the length and weight ratings you’re looking for.  Others to consider are Century, Fiber Star, Black Hole, Rain Shadow, Cousins, and Lamiglass. 

Now, there are manufacturers that are focused on building blanks and OEMing these to other manufacturers and custom builders. CTS and Rain Shadow are top of mind in this regard,  with Rod Geeks and NorthFork composites also being in the space. 

Another suggestion is to show up at the hat fling this summer. Most of us bring one or two of our rods for everyone else to check out.

Now, if I had a nice big bank account, and I just had to order a custom rod tonight, it would probably be a 10 or 11 foot CTS Vapor Trail. The guys who have ‘em love ‘em.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response.

Currently don’t have any surf rod. These are a few rods I have owned and all sold. Phenix Black Diamond Surf 9ft and 11ft. Lami 10ft. Team daiwa 10ft.

The main reason I want to build a custom rod is for personalization. The retail models of the rods I have own in the past were great. Just thought I treat myself to a nice light weight high end 9 footer this yr. I hit the surf a few dozen time each yr when my work frees up. And with the new addition of the vr50. I want to build a rod around it. 

In in the past I have used vsb 150 and 200. After a 6 hour session it takes a toll on my arm. I’m hoping with the new vr50 and sturdy light weight built rod. I can enjoy my time out there without breaking my arm off.

I wanted to stop by the hat fling last year but some work schedule got in the way. When is the hat fling this yr?

I got a local builder who can fit me in. So I was hoping to get some feedback and get a rod built before my summer starts end of next month :)

I’ll check out that CTS Vapor trail you suggested. Are they built to order or they have their own retail models?

You may want to post something in the rod building forum on who to order from. I know a lot order directly from CTS in New Zealand. Shipping is supposedly pretty reasonable.

Posted (edited)

Nice, i definintly want to follow this topic, i just received my vr50 and was thinking about pairing it with an odm genesis 9’ 1/2-3oz rating. It runs $325, factory and weights 11oz but u can get the blanks at His tackle and have it custom built to be a little lighter. Let me know what blank you decide on and why as i may go the custom route as well. 

Edited by Ocg_89