stateguy

Hobie Kayaking 1-5 miles

21 posts in this topic

Can you guys explain what you use for back up if anything should go wrong with your drive.

Do you have a spare drive 

Or seatow

It along ways to paddle back if your that far

Posted (edited)

When i owned a hobie I carried any of the spare parts needed to rebuild a drive; these were the chains, cables, pins, extra fin and nuts. Plus the tools to do the repair. 

If it was a major break. Like peddle arms snapping I was paddling back. 

Edited by saltfisherman

Posted (edited)

33 mins ago, stateguy said:

Can you guys explain what you use for back up if anything should go wrong with your drive.

Do you have a spare drive 

Or seatow

It along ways to paddle back if your that far

Paddle! Seatow would cost you $750

Edited by Bravo06

I've never heard of a mirage drive failure (things are built like tanks!!), but for me, I either have a second drive in my Outfitter or a sail on my Outback :cool:

hobieoutfitter.jpg

hobieoutfitter2.jpg

hobieoutback.jpg

hobieoutback.jpg

About five years ago Sea Tow wouldn't deal with kayaks, situation may have changed. You and your kayak on their boat maybe an insurance issue.

Worst case scenario is a call to the CG if and only if you’ve exhausted all your options. They will come out to you. Especially call if you are being pulled out to sea. Don’t wait, know where you are and be precise with location. 

Bunch of years ago ago I was out in Raritan bay, left union beach and was out towards Great Kills. A bunch of commercial guys were out and I was around them. I got talking to them and they asked if I had seen the forecast for the afternoon. I responded yes and was headed back in soon. They offered me a ride if I needed one, just let us know is all they said. 

You have options, flag a boater down. 

Honestly if you can’t paddle yourself in because your only option has been to peddle only and not learn to paddle properly, please learn quickly to do so. 

I carry portable water packets, and overnight items if I have to spend the night out. I also have fire starters. Worst case is you sleep on a shoreline somewhere. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

My tow boat us policy was $150.00 per year.

I have no info about kayak policies.

I have thought about inquiring about it but never have.

Just now, Jeffz1 said:

My tow boat us policy was $150.00 per year.

I have no info about kayak policies.

I have thought about inquiring about it but never have.

Thats for the policy, what if you didn't have it? thats where the $750 comes in

7 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Worst case scenario is a call to the CG if and only if you’ve exhausted all your options. They will come out to you. Especially call if you are being pulled out to sea. Don’t wait, know where you are and be precise with location. 

Bunch of years ago ago I was out in Raritan bay, left union beach and was out towards Great Kills. A bunch of commercial guys were out and I was around them. I got talking to them and they asked if I had seen the forecast for the afternoon. I responded yes and was headed back in soon. They offered me a ride if I needed one, just let us know is all they said. 

You have options, flag a boater down. 

Honestly if you can’t paddle yourself in because your only option has been to peddle only and not learn to paddle properly, please learn quickly to do so. 

I carry portable water packets, and overnight items if I have to spend the night out. I also have fire starters. Worst case is you sleep on a shoreline somewhere. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

If you can't paddle as far as you peddle in an emergency, maybe you shouldn't go so far!

5 hours ago, cheech said:

A broken rudder line will also cause you to use your paddle.:eek:

Up/Down twist n stow cable broke 2.5 miles from launch (the down cable).  Peddled all the way back using paddle to steer, like a keel.  It sucked, but worked. 

11 hours ago, Bravo06 said:

If you can't paddle as far as you peddle in an emergency, maybe you shouldn't go so far!

Sometimes you just can't help how far you go :eek: