Fastway Fishing

Upgrading Rod holders on my boat

7 posts in this topic

I am replacing the old metal rod holders on my boat, all 6 of them.  The black plastic wrap that was protecting the metal is mostly gone and most of them are rusting away.  I was thinking of switching to some high quality plastic ones instead so I wouldn't have to worry about rust, but to me the plastic ones seem more cheaply made and could possibly break easier.  Does anyone have any high quality plastic ones that they trust and are durable, or maybe metal ones that wouldn't have a rust problem.  I had to screw the metal ones I have no into my boat so it wouldn't be a problem for them to have to be screwed in.  Thanks in advance

Howdy: Might you be able to provide some more information, and perhaps a photo or two of your boat? Are the rod holders flush mounted, surface mounted, used strictly for transport or used for trolling, bait fishing etc.? There are literally dozens and dozens of rod holders and mounts out there today and it depends on what your usage will be and the configuration of your boat. For example, on my prior rig, I thought that a set of RAM rail-mount bases and RAM tubes would be great for trolling until I discovered that RAM mounts don't have the tensile strength to hold the tube upright if you snag or hook a fish and they would fold down like a cheap suit. In went a set of Scotty locking bases with extension and large rod holders....problem solved. I'm looking at putting in some flush-mounts on my new rig.....there is a company in MD that makes heavy-duty stainless rod holders for saltwater boats. They are not cheap, but have a 10-year, no-haggle guarantee against corrosion. Please let us know, thanks.

The old ones were surface mounted, sorry that's what I meant by had to screw them in, I should have been more specific there.  With that said, the only kind that I couldn't use is the rail mounted ones, So I suppose they could either be flush mounted or surface mounted.  The type of fishing I would be using them for is trolling as well as fishing live bait on down rods. Also, I don't need any holders just for transporting, strictly being used for fishing purposes,  Thank you