Otshawytsha

Ever Been Chased By Someone At Night While Fishing?

121 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I haven't. But curious if others have had the misfortune of being chased. What are escape tactics, when should you double back to get back to car, is it wise to try to cross a road a couple times to try to lose someone, is it a good idea to flee at all as opposed to standing ground? Is it advisable to "go to ground" climb into a dumpster or a trash can? If you were chasing someone, how can you tell when they've gone to ground? What are the best tactics for chasing someone--how can you tell where they are going if go around a corner into a parking lot and disappear? How do you prevent an ambush by the person you were chasing? Is it a good idea to chase someone for a bit, and, knowing where they parked, double back yourself to their car and then ambush them when they try to get back to it?  

Edited by Otshawytsha

2 mins ago, jake11 said:

What 

Haven't you ever been fishing and have some strange people come by and for a second think "What do I do if these people want to rob me?"?

Was chased out of allenhurst by a gang of triads. I doubled back but knew they hit the ground so I went for it. A shuriken wizzed past my ear as i lept to safety. 

Posted (edited)

4 mins ago, Billybob said:

When you say go to ground, are you talking about the green wire?

It's from hunting describes when prey enters their burrow to escape predator but in the CIA they use it to refer to operatives that can't escape from a situation and instead try to hide for a while in one place, intending to make an escape later. 

Edited by Otshawytsha

Why would you be chased? Who would chase you? I was once frightened out of the water by someone breathing horrendously behind me--flashlight found a pair of BIG snapping turtles. Never seen a random chaser. Might wanta change brands of that smokin'dope.

Sounds like maybe its you who wants to chase someone..........

Just now, unclebunker said:

Why would you be chased? Who would chase you? I was once frightened out of the water by someone breathing horrendously behind me--flashlight found a pair of BIG snapping turtles. Never seen a random chaser. Might wanta change brands of that smokin'dope.

Never happened to me but here are some obvious possibilities for who might chase you: 

1) security in a gated development

2) police responding to reports of a trespasser

3) mugger 

4) crazy people

5) neighborhood watch

I'm sure lots of fisherpeople on this site have had experience of 1 and 2 and 5. 

As to who you might chase:

1) mugger/thief/smash and grab robber

2) a criminal you happen to come across who is fleeing from a burglary

Posted (edited)

Well, one time I was fishing Demo with my dad, a rare occurrence that I can get him to go surf fishing, doubly so at night. It's maybe 2am or so, pitch black. Were fishing the point, and from the jetty we can see a light. Nothing odd, a bunch of trucks park there. I look back a few minutes later and its bouncing up and down, and a bit closer. I make a few more casts, look back again, and it's more than halfway from the jetty out to us on the point, bouncing up and down. I walk over to my dad to point it out to him, and we're watching it, trying to figure out what it could be. Eventually it comes right up to us, and it's a dude running with a flashlight. He runs right up to our face, only a foot or two away, because I assume he didn't see us standing there in the dark. He then breaks right, and heads back around the point, along the cove on the inlet side. I went back to fishing and would look back after every few casts and he continued along there, until the light disappeared in the distance.

Edited by TheOtherOne

1 min ago, Otshawytsha said:

Never happened to me but here are some obvious possibilities for who might chase you: 

1) security in a gated development

2) police responding to reports of a trespasser

3) mugger 

4) crazy people

5) neighborhood watch

I'm sure lots of fisherpeople on this site have had experience of 1 and 2 and 5. 

As to who you might chase:

1) mugger/thief/smash and grab robber

2) a criminal you happen to come across who is fleeing from a burglary

Yeah but you probably shouldn't be running from 1, 2 or 5.

4 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Yeah but you probably shouldn't be running from 1, 2 or 5.

Fair point, I could argue it a bit but I won't. What would your approach be to evading in the case of 3 and 4?

Whenever confronted (which is rare for me)--whether is be police, private security, muggers, crazy people or neighborhood watch, I find it best to stand my ground and talk to people.  Fleeing is an option of last resort.  1,2 and 5 will usually listen/respond to reason and don't pose a serious threat.  As for "crazy people," as far as I'm concerned, I'm the one waste deep in water in the middle of the night with a pole and a bag full of plastic, rubber, wood and hooks......I'm the "crazy people"!

Have waders, go into the water, rod becomes a beater in one hand, knife in other. 

Also jetties work well when you have spikes and they have sneakers.  People aren't so tough once they can't stand.  Love the jersey shore at 2am.

But i am one of the slowest runners in history. So those are my options