Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

$3.99/lb Lobsters.........

17 posts in this topic

Was just in Shaw's and they had lobsters $3.99/lb, sign said thru Thursday.

Not sure if it is just the one I went to in Sharon or if others have the same deal.

Good God what are they paying at the dock? these guys have been waiting all winter and then get shut out for the first half of May due to whales. Go buy some lobsters from the fisherman at the dock and support a local family...

these are not local lobsters and they have been sitting in tanks longer then some of my tropical fish pets.

Stores throw out loss leaders all the time...Probably paying 4.00 a pound.Just trying to create some traffic and buzz the store over a short period of time...Kind of like when they sell turkeys at thanksgiving for .69 a lb!

38 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

these are not local lobsters and they have been sitting in tanks longer then some of my tropical fish pets.

Doubtful that they have the quantity in tanks that this sale will generate. I'll go along with the loss leader tactic, sell them lobster at cost and hope they buy a bunch of accoutrements at regular prices. Regardless, its a good deal. 

I think the thing is they were on sale for Mother's Day and they over bought, and as such, just want to dump them.

Was in the Wareham Shaws this morning, and they were discounting their $12.99lb sea scallops at 50% off; $6.50 lb. They smelled fine...we'll see in about 1/2 hour....They weren't discounting their $7.99 lobsters.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

I wonder if these are Canadian pounded lobsters?

I thought the same thing Bob. I think Canada runs it's lobster season in the winter? Maybe trying to clear out the existing product...

16 hours ago, Vt coast said:

Was in the Wareham Shaws this morning, and they were discounting their $12.99lb sea scallops at 50% off; $6.50 lb. They smelled fine...we'll see in about 1/2 hour....They weren't discounting their $7.99 lobsters.

Likely the same thing I said above, they over bought for the sale/Mother's Day. That $12.99 price was an advertised 3-Day sale last weekend. Normally they are $17/lb or more at Shaw's.

15 hours ago, bob_G said:

I wonder if these are Canadian pounded lobsters?

Don't know where they came from, they were soft shell (at least the one I had last night was). But like I said, word has it they over bought for Mother's Day, and were just dumping them. In general, Lobster prices have been pretty inflated of late, upwards of $9-$10/ lb even for chix, at least most places I have seen.

I saw $13/lb as the only price posted at hannaford a week ago.  
I should stop by my local Shaws...

Shaw's is notorious for over ordering things that go on sale. But that benefits me, as my eyes are always scanning the perimeter of the stores looking for perishable markdowns and "manager's specials". And it is amazing the stuff you can get for half price or less and is still perfectly fine.

On 5/16/2018 at 1:17 PM, hotfishgirl said:

Is that why they have zero flavor?. Had 3 this week. Not the slightest hint of lobster

Posted (edited)

I don't know if I believe these aren't "local lobsters". Any info to back this statement up? From what I have read more than 75 percent of lobster sold in the US is Maine caught. So Shaws is buying from somewhere further away?

Unless your considering Maine not locally caught? I wouldn't expect a chain like Shaws to be buying from MA wholesalers but I could be wrong.

Edited by CcCstriper89

The current wholesale on hardshells is $7-$9 a lb., so they got a deal from somebody.  :shrug: