baldadonis2002

What tides have you been having luck with?

15 posts in this topic

Trying to get a feel for which tide most have been having luck with thus far.

Stripers \ Blues - Have moved in and I personally see the bite with incoming only - slack and outgoing have not produced for myself or those around me (inlet fishing )

Fluke - Incoming and slack have produced.. though fishing inlet, piers bays etc has been sllllooooowwwwww thus far.

Welcome your feedback and perhaps if you are on the North or South Shore.

Again, these are just my observations and all during morning or day ( no evening fishing here )

Tight Lines

JBay, surface temps are warmer outside right now ( gap is closing ) than the bay. Incoming. There are all sorts of shallow water exceptions but if you are in the inlet that's the deal.

Cool....

I might add that I am not finding much bait in the water ... no visible killies\spearing for Fluke

No visible bunker or bird activity for Stripers\Blues

I was doing well on clam a few weeks ago, but bunker chunker is the ticket now.

Last Saturday incoming horrible gray skies and rain and it was just about the best fishing day I've had in a long time

Best

Posted (edited)

This 100% depends on the spot, and how the tide and current setup in relation to the structure.

Edited by TheOtherOne

Posted (edited)

Different tides produce at different spots and different wind directions at different times of the year. 

Over the years I've put less emphasis on the vertical movement of water (tide) and much more emphasis on the horizontal  movement of water (current). Tide is just a piece of an equation to me and not nearly as important to me as matching wind with current. 

You mentioned not having much luck during a slack tide in the inlet. That's a very very common scenario. The rip disappears and the stripers leave - so do most fisherman in fact. The fish don't go too far tho and are usually just setting up somewhere else or conserving energy in a hole until a new rip form with current change. Try moving a little and finding a pocket up or down the jettie or beach during that slack. Some very big fish get taken at slack tides in the inlet. Bigger fish (the 35lb and up class) like spending as little energy as possible and a slack tide is often their window to cruise for an easy meal. Don't discount this, especially when the bigger baits are in the inlet. 

Edited by SteveZissou
Clarified

Wow.. some solid gold nuggets just dropped on me Steve

I remain thankful and humble before thee

Thank you sir!

16 hours ago, SteveZissou said:

Different tides produce at different spots and different wind directions at different times of the year. 

Over the years I've put less emphasis on the horizontal   movement of water (tide) and much more emphasis on the vertical movement of water (current). Tide is just a piece of an equation to me and not nearly as important to me as matching wind with current. 

You mentioned not having much luck during a slack tide in the inlet. That's a very very common scenario. The rip disappears and the stripers leave - so do most fisherman in fact. The fish don't go too far tho and are usually just setting up somewhere else or conserving energy in a hole until a new rip form with current change. Try moving a little and finding a pocket up or down the jettie or beach during that slack. Some very big fish get taken at slack tides in the inlet. Bigger fish (the 35lb and up class) like spending as little energy as possible and a slack tide is often their window to cruise for an easy meal. Don't discount this, especially when the bigger baits are in the inlet. 

I think you have the current and tide mixed up lol but I do agree with your points. 

1 hour ago, Wolfdog said:

I think you have the current and tide mixed up lol but I do agree with your points. 

Corrected and clarified. Thanks for the heads up!

Best places with best tides, but nobody will tell you that if they know it. Every place has it's own set of best tides, conditions etc. Any even those can vary seasonally. It's a long road but you have to walk it.

South shore bays fluking usually do well on ebb early season but this year they seem to only bite first couple hours of the flood water still cold with all the rain not many fish but good amount of keepers

Been doing well on ebb and flood.....nothing during slack or close thereto.

South Shore quiet for me on ebb ...   Also high winds not working for me

Where I fish, I tend to do well on overcast days.

Also, according to my fishing log, pier and dock fishing for me picked up late June

Again..very location specific data.

Best

All tides have been good to me. Different spots different tides different situations have been good. Wind and time of day, first light or night all go into figuring out what tide and spot to fish. Now this takes time and many years of putting in time in these spots in different situations to figure out what tide you should be fishing that spot. You be surprised that once you put your time in to learn your spot you can count on the fish being in that spot if the conditions are what you need them to be. If you fish hard enough and put your time in you can keep a log written or mental to have spots for different situations. It’s a never ending learning process I love putting in the time to finding new spots and learning everything about them.  Once I have a spot figured out it’s just another place that goes in the log.