bassturds

aggressive animals in the woods?

154 posts in this topic

cool cool. so far so good with critters. everytime i heard coyotes, they would howl and then be gone, they knew i was there or could smell me or even see me. few minutes later, gone.  racoons either climb the trees or just keep doing their thing.  i was fishing and racoon was about 30 feet away, just goin along the waters edge, we both kept on fishing.

I ride my mountain bike in the woods at night all the time. See lots of owls and deer and encounter the occasional pack of coyotes. The coyotes always run away. The deer get confused by my headlights and often just stand there until I'm a few feet away. I can't recall anyone other than small children being attacked by yotes or foxes unless they are cornered or rabid.

I was attacked by a German Shepherd mix but not in the woods. Was in the foyer of someone's house when I was dropping off a date. Dog went straight for my throat.

I don't think I've encountered aggressive animals in the woods other than humans. More often, the aggression happens out in the open or during nesting season. I was biking once and some guy's poorly trained irish setter decided to chase me and clamp his jaws around my ankle. And of course everyone's dealt with the hissing Canada geese protecting their younguns.

7 mins ago, beerdoh said:

I was attacked by a German Shepherd mix but not in the woods. Was in the foyer of someone's house when I was dropping off a date. Dog went straight for my throat.

Whoa.....can't never forget something like that.

The only aggressive animals i've encountered in the woods are river spiders, geese and beavers turtles.

I've seen plenty of cayotes and they don't seem to bother.  Seen bear same.

Saw big cat tracks.....and that was enough for me to poop.

Saw some more cat tracks just the other day.  was cool to see coon, coyote, deer and cat tracks at the same spot....kinda took the guess work out

the spiders at night are everywhere, those white ones that live on sandy beaches. pretty cool. ive caught a few with my hands.  ive had beavers slap there tails near me. scare  the piss out of me. 

Last year, I knocked out an aggressive tom turkey with a snow shovel.  After a little recovery period, he was no worse for the wear.  Two toms were in the area at the time and they were super aggressive  - pecking windows and cars, tearing up lawns, chasing people, etc.    I believe the state ended up having to kill them both a few weeks afterward.

I called my local dog catcher and MassWildlife.  MassWildlife said, in the case of the turkeys, I was within my right to dispatch one if it was threatening me or my property.  The only caveat was that the kill had to be reported to the Mass Environmental Police.  I don't know how much of an issue it would be to go through that.

Just like another poster said, as far as a coyote or other larger animal went, I'd do what needed to be done and worry about the ramifications later.

if you had to kill an aggressive coon or a yote, would the state come down to test for rabies?

1 hour ago, bassturds said:

if you had to kill an aggressive coon or a yote, would the state come down to test for rabies?

They could care less..

I was chased down by a tom turkey few yrs back . I was doing some yard work when i lived in Halifax and the bird kept comming at me ! Within five feet , i had my weed wacker going but he was not scared then i lunged at him with it at full throtle he took off !

All the time I've spent in the woods, the only aggressive animal I ever encountered was of all things a deer. It was mid April and I was pre season scouting turkey.  Out of nowhere, a small doe materializes about 50' away. Stomps the ground, shakes her head, and runs at me in a zig zag manner, flaring off at the last moment. She'd run past me, turn around and repeat the process. I never felt threatened, but I think she was trying to distract me from something. Perhaps a fawn? But I think mid April is too early for fawns.  As soon as I walked away she lost interest.

Never been scared in the woods - till I heard how many of you are packin! Damn! Walking the dog? With the kids? Damn!

So there really ARE dangerous creatures in our woods.:rolleyes:

Why would that scare you?

More are carrying  past you  when you walk down the street, 

Most people are good.

The only time I've encountered an aggressive animal was while deer hunting in Wakefield, NH. I was sitting overlooking a drop of about 20 feet with my back towards the top of the hill. It was just beginning to get dark and I heard something coming down the hill behind me. I stayed still until it got uncomfortably close and slowly turned to see a full grown cow moose standing about 20 feet away. She saw me turn and she stopped and began stomping her feet and twisting her head in a strange way. The fact that I had no where to go as the drop was right behind me is what made me nervous. It was a good minute of stomping until it finally turned and went back up the hill.

I didn't want to, but would have shot her if she came at me. My buddy Jim was ready to take her down too as he was about 40 yards off to the side of her.

A lifetime in the woods and the only aggressive animal I've ever encountered were domestic dogs....and their a-hole owners.