bassturds

aggressive animals in the woods?

143 posts in this topic

Just because a dog is barking at you doesn’t mean it’s going to rip your face off.  Dogs bark. It’s what they do. 

Did you talk to the dog’s owner after this incident?  

Also the best way to get a dog to release it’s grip on something is to push its lip under its teeth so that it is biting itself.  Works every time. 

He didn't talk very much he was pale white apologizing to me saying "That has never happened before." The dog ran head first into my truck door and the owner had that look on his face like he was thanking god his dog didn't just maul me. I am not saying I would shoot Lassie if I was barked at. I have been barked at by dogs many times in the woods and I am sure I will be many more considering how much time I spend out there.  All I am refuting is the "nobody needs to carry" sentiment. I am more afraid of that happening then being shot in the woods by snake hating rednecks.

I'm armed to the teeth out there with a machete, toenail clippers, and pliers. Just this evening I stumbled down and spooked a group of deer out of there. So then I'm casting and I heer the dagum big deer snortin at me. So I gave some sasquatch/wolf hollars and pulled out my machete. That's what push- ups and all that crap is for, you gotta be strong out there. Now a pack of coyotes that is actively shredding small game, I was scared crapless acouple years back. Got on my bike and out. Best not to mess with watersnakes, please don't kill them.   

39 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

You didn't really kill a little watersnake.....did you ?

I didn’t kill it, the stick did.  It was a military grade assault stick.

The snake was trying to bite my pit bull.

They are almost pretty when they go belly up.

90728DE4-6A6A-4202-A88F-1A66F0116750.jpeg

My Dad's neighbor was a hardcore hunter. He told me about a time he was bow hunting in a tree stand in Alaska and a black bear same down the path and froze solid bristled all it hair up then did a hasty 180 back down the trail. He thought it winded him but a couple of minutes later grizz came down the trail from the opposite direction and walked right under his stand. He said he was scared $h!tless.

1 hour ago, jkrock said:

I didn’t kill it, the stick did.  It was a military grade assault stick.

The snake was trying to bite my pit bull.

They are almost pretty when they go belly up.

90728DE4-6A6A-4202-A88F-1A66F0116750.jpeg

It's things like this that make one realize that we are all very different here.

Most everyone I know hunts, fishes....many of us used to trap back in the day.

I don't know any grown man that would beat a harmless water snake to death with a stick.