bassturds

aggressive animals in the woods?

158 posts in this topic

how many of you guys have had run ins with aggressive critters? ive night fished a lot over the past few years. in the woods alone at night  by myself. had packs of coyotes near me. fished next to racoons.  never had a problem. 

if you do run into an aggressive critter, like a racoon or packs of coyotes. what should you do?

if you kill an animal out of self defense could you eat it? i hate wasting animals if i kill it.  do you have to report the harvest or the fact that you took down an animal?

You don't want to eat a coyote or raccoon. I carry all the time when I'm in the woods or walking the dog. usually .357 or .44 mag. Have never had a problem, but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I would apply common sense here. I you can move away without incident, do that. If you have to defend yourself and kill it, do that. 

Not sure If I would harvest if I wasnt sure WHY this animal was aggressive. Was it protecting young, sick, rabid? Who would know for sure? 

Cougars are the only ones you need to worry about.

i was threatened by a beaver once, thought nothing of it until the guy in russia was killed the same way

i've had a raccoon try to take ownership of a bass I had on the rocks.  I walked up and took it back after a bit of a tug of war.  He kept coming back.  I chased him off a few times.  Have had coyotes hang around a couple times on a golf course and in the woods.  I usually walk at them and tell them to scram if they seem a bit too cozy with people.

I've eaten raccoon.  i'll pass on cooking it.  No thanks on the coyote steaks too.

Regarding reporting......ummmm....people talk to much and it gets them in trouble.  Do what you have to do and move on

I carry pepper spray whenever I am in the woods and not hunting.I have had aggressive dogs approach me twice but when I didn't show fear they backed off.I was saying things to them like "Come a little closer Rover" and they sensed my aggression.Never had to pull it on a wild animal but always glad I had it.

I was scouting for Turkey's before the season several years ago. Walked around a blown down tree and there was a mother bear and two cubs standing there 25 yards away. She was not happy to see me! Bluff charged, stopping at 10 yards or so. Went back to the cubs, raked a tree with her claws and the cubs went up the tree. She turned her attention back to me and bluffs again, but didn't get as close this time. I slowly walked backwards around the blowdown until the treetop was between us. Then I booked it the hell out of there.

A pissed off bear makes some fun noises!

older people might remember Jimmy Carter was in a boat or a canoe and got attacked by a rabbit when he was president, and the secret service "had " to shoot it.  That one always made me chuckle

In my tree stand around dusk a ways back was bored and started bouncing the carabiner, at the end of the line I use to pull my bow up, through the brush trying to mimic an animal running. An owl must have thought it was a squirrel or chipmunk and swooped onto a limb next to me. I was worried it would attack my eyes so had to take off my face mask and hat and wield an arrow. 

My girlfriend though it was hilarious when I told her and put this above my desk in my office:

529005F4-55DC-43A9-8625-83740F1E8C14.jpeg

40 mins ago, lurejunkie00 said:

i was threatened by a beaver once, thought nothing of it until the guy in russia was killed the same way

just give it a good pounding.

yea  who knows why it was aggressive.  so eating it is a little sketchy. 

not worried about bears down here in SE MA. 

when dealing with a pack of yotes  that are aggressive. what should you do? ive had buddies get followed out by packs. the yotes  surrounded them. its never been that bad but ive had them pretty close. 
i have a knife, and some fishing rods.  8 foot swimbait rod would sting the yote or coon. 

41 mins ago, JohnQ said:

I carry pepper spray whenever I am in the woods and not hunting.I have had aggressive dogs approach me twice but when I didn't show fear they backed off.I was saying things to them like "Come a little closer Rover" and they sensed my aggression.Never had to pull it on a wild animal but always glad I had it.

iv had run ins with  aggressive dogs before, people walking their dogs off the leash in the woods.  but i stand my ground tho. 

Posted (edited)

I've got a Teddy Roosevelt hunting book and he used to chase down coyotes on his horse and catch them by hand.  There are photos in the book with them with a live coyote hog tied and loaded on the horse behind the saddle.  They did it for fun.  I guess we were a tougher breed back then

13ADBAE6-0C8F-48A4-83BE-26F7A7C01922.jpeg

Edited by jkrock

In southeastern Massachusetts where we are the biggest threats are domestic dogs by far. I take a pistol with me when I bring my young kids just to be safe. I have been surrounded by coyotes in northern Maine while deer hunting many years back at twilight. While not really threatened I can’t say I was very comfortable either. Got back to the truck quick and had a chuckle with my pop who I think was more worried about me than I was. I find the coyotes around here much more comfortable around people though and if you charge at them they usually take off in a hurry. It’s like they don’t expect the reaction, just be sure it’s not acting rabid and you will be fine.