Fastway Fishing

Freshwater Striper Bucktails and trailer combo, whats your go to?

13 posts in this topic

I just bought a few bucktails, some white with red head, some all white and I wanna put trailers on them and have never really fished with them in freshwater to much.  Was wondering if anyone had a go-to combo for freshwater.  Thanks

they are called hair jigs in freshwater for whatever reason.

If the ones you have are light enough they will probably work with a curlytail plastic trailer or any other grub/paddle tail.

The problem could be in the weight of the saltwater ones (typically 3/4oz and up) which are probably too heavy for most FW situations (unless fishing really deep water), and the hooks are too heavy/thick

Depends on the conditions where you fish. Are you fishing a lake, river, tailwater section? And also how you are fishing them: trolling vs. casting. When I'm fishing tailwater areas here, typically use a bullet head jig (3/4 to 2 oz depending on current flow and depth) with a shad style trailer (pour my own heads and tails). Size of the trailer to match the bait in the area. A bucktail with a 4 to 6 inch twister tail when trolling lakes. Late fall to early spring, casting lakes, I'll often use double tail spinner bait trailer. Other times a twister tail type trailer. 

I fish in big lakes, and the ones I got were actually 3 oz, I wasn't even thinking about this being to heavy for fresh water, I don't know why I thought it should be the same as the saltwater ones I have, Im going after work today and probably going to pick up a couple half oz and oz heads,  Thanks for the help. Ill try and find some of the trailers you suggested to go with them too.

I fish tailwaters and 1-1/2 oz to 2 oz is necessary most of the time in swift water.  Usually white bucktail with a 4" to 6" curly tail trailer in white, pearl, or chartreuse.

Lakes, 3/8 to 1 oz are what I typically used. Weight depended on how I was using them. Casting, typically 3/8 and 1/2 oz. 

I bought a lot of different combos on my lunch break at work today, going to rig some up tonight for this weekend, how do you guys fish them in fresh water.  You go with a simple cast out and retrieve or what.  I have only fished them in saltwater.

I fish mainly in Murray and Clarks Hill, havnt made it to Murray in the last month unfortunately though, been busy at work.  Ill be there a few weekends in the near future though, is that where you fish?

3 hours ago, sunobskt said:

Where you fishing? Top water on Murray been pretty consistent for last month. 

3 hours ago, sunobskt said:

Where you fishing? Top water on Murray been pretty consistent for last month. 

I figured by the time I got there most of the Stripers would have made it to the deep  water up around the dam, what kinda topwater they been hitting?

action has been tapering off with top water but we caught 6 small ones yesterday and for last month been pretty consistent once you find a good point. probably caught 7-8 keepers in last month. . mothers day caught  around 12 but all like 20". caught back to back 5lb largemouths swimming with them that day. been throwing a chugbug. largemouth has been tough after pretty good late winter-spring.