Elite_Fisherman69

RIVER HALIBUT BITE-HOT!!!

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Caught my first ever halibut on the fly this week in the narrow! Great eating and a great fight! Can't believe the incredible migration these fish make all the way from Alaska. Truly incredible species!!!

IMG_0581.jpg

Edited by Nebe

Posted (edited)

Nice catch but why the need to post the location.. I just dont get it.  I know its not a secret location but seriously why bring more attention.  Yes it is a large river but there are only so many access and fishing spots..  :banghd:  2 posts in and you have placed this on the main and in here. 

And how exactly could it migrate here from Alaska?  Through the artic ocean or panama canal?

Edited by Kooky

3 hours ago, stripercrazy said:

We took a charter out of pt Jude got this one before it got to the river it’s on!

5F4DACF0-E19F-48A2-9326-BDA3B3440248.jpeg

You gotta love those narragansett mountains !

Wait till this guy experiences the Sea Robin blitz thats coming 

Damn and i was out in that fog Tuesday  but didn't see it 

On 5/15/2018 at 8:52 PM, Elite_Fisherman69 said:

Caught my first ever halibut on the fly this week in the narrow! Great eating and a great fight! Can't believe the incredible migration these fish make all the way from Alaska. Truly incredible species!!!

IMG_0581.jpg

Congratulations. You are a new member so I'll cut you some slack.  When you discuss specific locations online, that's called spot burning. It is considered highly inappropriate.  It results in the location being mobbed by new fisherman.  ESPECIALLY when the post is related to actual fish caught.  The fact that posts stay online for many years only compounds the problem.  If you enjoy a spot and don't want to see it overrun by guys who read about it... then stop spot burning!  I know the place...there is not much room for more than a few guys to fish the zone.  Don't ruin it.

This is probably the ONE cardinal rule online. DON'T SPOT BURN!

9 mins ago, leopinetree said:

The sturgeon bite is HOT at Beavertail! 

Buluga wheels are being taken on the west side.  3" pearl  cocahoe with a shrimp teaser.

Circle the answer that accurately describes the fish in the above-mentioned picture:

1. Fluke (Paralichthys dentatus ), is a member of the large-tooth flounder family Paralichthyidae. The summer flounder has a range in the western Atlantic from Nova Scotia to Florida, Paralichthys dentatus is most common to the coastal and shelf waters off of the northeast U.S. where they are commonly called Fluke.

2. Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus) is a flatfish of the family Pleuronectidae. They are demersal fish living on or near sand, gravel or clay bottoms at depths of between 50 and 2,000 m (160 and 6,560 ft). The halibut is among the largest teleost (bony) fish in the world, and is an endangered species due to a slow rate of growth and previous overfishing.

The native habitat of the Atlantic halibut is the temperate and arctic waters of the northern Atlantic, from Labrador and Greenland to Iceland, the Barents Sea and as far south as the Bay of Biscay and Virginia.

3. Pacific halibut (hippoglossus stenolepis ) , is a species of righteye flounder. This very large species of flatfish is native to the North Pacific and is fished by commercial fisheries, sport fishers, and subsistence fishers. The Pacific halibut is found on the continental shelf of the North Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea. Fishing for the Pacific halibut is mostly concentrated in the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea, off the west coast of Canada.

I hope it aint 2 . Its hard enough getting a 19 inch fluke never mind having to throw them all back 

You guys do realize this thread was meant to bust your balls, right? His screename alone should’ve tipped you off. And then the migration from Alaska part... that cracked me up :clap: