Nicky Da Fish

Nags Head July 4th Weekend

9 posts in this topic

Headed down with a big group of adults and kids and was curious about bringing fishing gear. I have a 4x4 that I use on the beach in NJ I was going to bring, how's the surf fishing that time of year? Anything non-fishing related that I should make sure to check out while I'm in the area? Sights, food, bars?

Corrola north you can drive on the beach... Starting this year you will need a parking permit. Unless you are renting a house that area. Only other beach driving is South on Hatteras island. Restaurants Moma Kwans, Rundown, Sam and Omies, Bobs, Red Sky Cafe, Lone Cedar, Tale of the Whale, Tortuga's Lie.

Sights; Wright Bros Memorial, Jockey's Ridge, Currituck, Boddie, and Hatteras Lighthouses, Oregon Inlet Fishing Center at around 4pm when the boats come in, Jennette's Pier. 

11 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

Corrola north you can drive on the beach... Starting this year you will need a parking permit. Unless you are renting a house that area. Only other beach driving is South on Hatteras island. Restaurants Moma Kwans, Rundown, Sam and Omies, Bobs, Red Sky Cafe, Lone Cedar, Tale of the Whale, Tortuga's Lie.

Sights; Wright Bros Memorial, Jockey's Ridge, Currituck, Boddie, and Hatteras Lighthouses, Oregon Inlet Fishing Center at around 4pm when the boats come in, Jennette's Pier. 

Great stuff, I thought I saw that you could drive on Bodie Island too? I'm guessing that time of year is primarily flounder and weakie, err, I mean spotted trout season? Can you purchase fresh fish at the fishing center? Is that a commercial fleet or just charters?

Definitely Sam and Omies.  Across from Jennette's Pier at Whalebone Junction in Nags Head.

Cabo

Crabbing  is a lot of fun for kids.

Park at little bridge nice crabbing and fishing.

should be a little of every thing around there then.

Also under the bridge at Pirates cove.

And yes on the Sam and Omies 

How about kayak fishing in OBX this time of year? Any recommendations on where to try that?

On 5/16/2018 at 10:39 AM, Nicky Da Fish said:

Great stuff, I thought I saw that you could drive on Bodie Island too? I'm guessing that time of year is primarily flounder and weakie, err, I mean spotted trout season? Can you purchase fresh fish at the fishing center? Is that a commercial fleet or just charters?

Bodie Island is the Cape Hatteras National Seashore beach north of Oregon Inlet.  You can drive on with a paid permit.  Buy fresh fish, shrimp, etc. at Austin's in Nags Head across from the dunes at Jockeys Ridge.

Probably a bird was spotted with a piece of nesting material in it's mouth.  Common this time of year and there are other same closures south on Hatteras Island.