Nicky Da Fish

Nags Head July 4th Weekend

18 posts in this topic

Headed down with a big group of adults and kids and was curious about bringing fishing gear. I have a 4x4 that I use on the beach in NJ I was going to bring, how's the surf fishing that time of year? Anything non-fishing related that I should make sure to check out while I'm in the area? Sights, food, bars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corrola north you can drive on the beach... Starting this year you will need a parking permit. Unless you are renting a house that area. Only other beach driving is South on Hatteras island. Restaurants Moma Kwans, Rundown, Sam and Omies, Bobs, Red Sky Cafe, Lone Cedar, Tale of the Whale, Tortuga's Lie.

 

Sights; Wright Bros Memorial, Jockey's Ridge, Currituck, Boddie, and Hatteras Lighthouses, Oregon Inlet Fishing Center at around 4pm when the boats come in, Jennette's Pier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

Corrola north you can drive on the beach... Starting this year you will need a parking permit. Unless you are renting a house that area. Only other beach driving is South on Hatteras island. Restaurants Moma Kwans, Rundown, Sam and Omies, Bobs, Red Sky Cafe, Lone Cedar, Tale of the Whale, Tortuga's Lie.

 

Sights; Wright Bros Memorial, Jockey's Ridge, Currituck, Boddie, and Hatteras Lighthouses, Oregon Inlet Fishing Center at around 4pm when the boats come in, Jennette's Pier. 

Great stuff, I thought I saw that you could drive on Bodie Island too? I'm guessing that time of year is primarily flounder and weakie, err, I mean spotted trout season? Can you purchase fresh fish at the fishing center? Is that a commercial fleet or just charters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely Sam and Omies.  Across from Jennette's Pier at Whalebone Junction in Nags Head.

Cabo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crabbing  is a lot of fun for kids.

Park at little bridge nice crabbing and fishing.

should be a little of every thing around there then.

Also under the bridge at Pirates cove.

And yes on the Sam and Omies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about kayak fishing in OBX this time of year? Any recommendations on where to try that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 10:39 AM, Nicky Da Fish said:

Great stuff, I thought I saw that you could drive on Bodie Island too? I'm guessing that time of year is primarily flounder and weakie, err, I mean spotted trout season? Can you purchase fresh fish at the fishing center? Is that a commercial fleet or just charters?

Bodie Island is the Cape Hatteras National Seashore beach north of Oregon Inlet.  You can drive on with a paid permit.  Buy fresh fish, shrimp, etc. at Austin's in Nags Head across from the dunes at Jockeys Ridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drove on beach on north side of Oregon inlet this week end

they have about 1/4 mile to drive on

rest is closed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably a bird was spotted with a piece of nesting material in it's mouth.  Common this time of year and there are other same closures south on Hatteras Island.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 3:04 PM, Wheeler said:

How about kayak fishing in OBX this time of year? Any recommendations on where to try that?

 

BUMP

 

I'll be surf-fishing for the usual suspects, but would like to have a plan B in case that is slow. Anyone have any recommendations on where/what to try kayak fishing for in Rodanthe in 2 weeks?

 

:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

 

BUMP

 

I'll be surf-fishing for the usual suspects, but would like to have a plan B in case that is slow. Anyone have any recommendations on where/what to try kayak fishing for in Rodanthe in 2 weeks?

 

:howdy:

None at all, but I'd touch base with Ryan White at Hatteras Jack's, very up to date on soundside fishing..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, ByronPA said:

None at all, but I'd touch base with Ryan White at Hatteras Jack's, very up to date on soundside fishing..

Thanks Byron. That was the definitely my plan upon arrival, just hoping to have some advance intel to give me something to research and help the next couple weeks go by faster. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the ocean is as calm as it's been lately, definitely try there.  For a surf forecast magicseaweed.com is good, use "s turns" link under Forecasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not pass up the chance to eat at Blue Moon at Marker 25 in Nags Head. It’s near the Shell station. You will go back a second time. Lunches are awesome. Try the Mahi BLT. The buffalo shrimp are the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, keep the recommendations coming. Is the sound side worth poking around in? I plan on getting out early AM before the rest of the house begins to stir so I'll have a little more mobility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.