ksong

Fedex imposes $80 surcharge for rod/blank over 8 ft.

16 posts in this topic

FedEx started to impose $80 surcharge for rod/blank over 96 inches as oversized items. 

I think UPS does the same thing. 

It will affect the sale of long rods/blanks over 8' in the future. 

Ouch. That's gotta hurt. 96 inches is the tube size, so the rod is at most 7'10" - 7'11"

17 mins ago, hobobob said:

Ouch. That's gotta hurt. 96 inches is the tube size, so the rod is at most 7'10" - 7'11"

Yes. I am already thinking about  shortening our 8' rods/blanks  to 7'11".

There is a half inch window you have listed right on the website. So 96.5 is fine I have shipped plenty of them at that measurement and never had an issue 

I’m a ups package driver. They switched to dimensional pricing a while ago. Lost some decent accounts in my route because of it 

The pricing sounds insane but our system isn designed to handle over sized items. All irregular items have to get hand sorted and hand moved in the building.  They cannot fit thru the belts and slides in our buildings. In order to handle the iregs, they need man power which costs more money than adding a new conveyor belt. 

Trust me I’m not defending the pricing at all as I lost some accounts on my route but just trying to shed light. Trust me you do not want you 8’ rod blank any where near the back on my car. It’s a very rough system

I found Fedex changed the policy from Jan, 2018, but they started to enforce the policy recently.

Shopping for a blank I talked to an extremely helpful and knowledgable gentleman at FSC and he told me about this new pricing. It meant an added $125 to the price of a one piece 9’ blank which sort of made it price prohibitive. Unfortunately, this is going to cause some real problems for blank manufacturers and if shipping is involved two piece blanks are going to be way cheaper than one piece (for 9 ft+ surf rods).

Posted (edited)

BIG distributors will wind up assembling bulk orders over time, and probably using an independent trucker, but you'd need to order thousands of blanks at a time to make that happen, and how many distributors can do that?

This is the end of the one-piece surf rod.  A trickle of big blanks will be distributed at the major shows, but the pricing will be insane. 

Some consolation is that, superstitions to the contrary, Two piece blanks no longer give up anything to one piece blanks. Look at Ksong's photos of Mike Basnite or others loading a rod heavily; you can't tell if it's 70/30, 50/50, or one piece.  

Edited by BrianBM

If you are moving alot of rods business to business. Try u ship.com Its a website where independant truckers bid on filling their trailers to make full loads. I just moved a 3k pound machine from fla to long island for 450 bucks. Leave it up a few days . 

13 hours ago, BrianBM said:

BIG distributors will wind up assembling bulk orders over time, and probably using an independent trucker, but you'd need to order thousands of blanks at a time to make that happen, and how many distributors can do that?

This is the end of the one-piece surf rod.  A trickle of big blanks will be distributed at the major shows, but the pricing will be insane. 

Some consolation is that, superstitions to the contrary, Two piece blanks no longer give up anything to one piece blanks. Look at Ksong's photos of Mike Basnite or others loading a rod heavily; you can't tell if it's 70/30, 50/50, or one piece.  

Problem for me with 2 piece rods has alway been the joint loosening or twisting...especially when pencil popping...aside fro that....no problemo

isn't this why century straight up lied about their "one piece" rod?

That could be.  

Speaking of that, has anyone some experience with that 2pc/1pc rod, and can they comment on it? 

I am waiting on the delivery of a 2 piece Century rod myself, but it's not the one intended for assembly (gluing?) into a one piece rod.

Not ending one pieces but making them a little bit more expensive as the shipping gets passed down..

59 mins ago, BrianBM said:

That could be.  

Speaking of that, has anyone some experience with that 2pc/1pc rod, and can they comment on it? 

I am waiting on the delivery of a 2 piece Century rod myself, but it's not the one intended for assembly (gluing?) into a one piece rod.

Talk to Ryan but i am sure you can glue any one of there rods no worries. I have every one of the surf Machine  actually waiting on the last 2 my chunker and lighter version of the 10ft Iam thinking of glueing up my 9ft and current 10fter. Nothing major has happen  but not very often especially popping it does loosens  up like all other rods.