Goldy

snag n drop from Shore/River

12 posts in this topic

I know there are lots of thread about snagging and dropping.. I've been using the weighted treble method in the river mostly, and landing the fish safely and releasing is my main priority.  I've seen old school threads on here where people suggest cutting the third barb off.  I went with two rods, a plugging.  I snag the bunker but I don't use another rod to transfer to a circle hook, I was thinking about doing that on a live/line rod.

I'm curious what other snag rigs people are using to not only catch a fish with a pickup but also safely release the fish.  If you can post pictures that would be great.

Thanks

TBH, if your primary concern is safe release, snag and drop, at least the weighted treble method, isn't the best practice.  Others may have different opinions/experience, but I've seen some really big fish gut hooked horribly by sucking one of them down.  Snagging and transferring to a circle hook is one method, though casting an entire bunker anything more than a short distance is easier said then done... I've also seen a rig set up with a 3-4 OZ egg sinker sliding on the leader, with a smaller treble (4/0 maybe?) tied to the end.  Probably less likely to cause as much damage as a big weighted snag treble.  

Yup thats what im looking for different ideas.   I was thinking two rod setup with circle hook to transfer on a baitrunner.     I was curious what others do.  Im surprised the responses have been slow to trickle in for sure.  

lost all my snag hooks one day and made a quick snag rig with what i had, and was just equally effective.....Swivel-leader-egg sinker-swivel-split ring-4/0 treble (from a plug)

I use a standard snag hook with barbs @2oz on my main pluggin stick. This way i can plug and if the opportunity comes along and it usually does i can switch to a snag quickly. The two rod setup kills your mobility sometimes when  you need it. I don't buy into the theory that snags are a death sentence to fish. Never found it to be the case. Hit them hard and quickly.  If others think differently I repsect that. For the record if I was gut hookin bass I would reconsider my methods. 

Snag bunker,  re-hook with a single on a big conventional.  In the river huh?  Why not just ask how to live-line?

Posted (edited)

This is what I prefer to a weighted snag hook of a larger size. This has worked fine for me although I never gut hooked using the weighted snag hook I think this would be a better option. I had this laying around but I configure it a little different, shortening the leader for one but leaving enough free line for the bait to try and swim.

03c2c222-9729-40b9-ba8f-656713a4c2fc.jpg

Edited by StriperPole

Those egg sinker snag rigs work pretty well.  The problem with the switching to another rod with a circle hook to liveline is distance, at least for me.  If the bait and fish are a good distance out getting that bunker back out there a good ways is an issue.  

if safely releasing is your main priority why snag and drop (?) - why not throw a lure or plug (?).  i think snag and drop works great (i like a weighted treble), but to me its for when you want that take home keeper.  i’d say up to half the bass i ever get that way are hooked pretty bad.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:33 PM, nicknotsebastian said:

if safely releasing is your main priority why snag and drop (?) - why not throw a lure or plug (?).  i think snag and drop works great (i like a weighted treble), but to me its for when you want that take home keeper.  i’d say up to half the bass i ever get that way are hooked pretty bad.

You ask a very good question. But live lining garners more bass than any plug imho.  

I was thinking a two rod setup with a switch to a circle hook as suggested but do i need to tie a rig that can hold a bank sinker or will the live bunker be enough where i dont need any weight.   I might try this crazy thing out later tonight

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

I was thinking a two rod setup with a switch to a circle hook as suggested but do i need to tie a rig that can hold a bank sinker or will the live bunker be enough where i dont need any weight.   I might try this crazy thing out later tonight

i always thought the “sucess”

of snag and drop was creating that “injured outlier easy prey” that sunk

down and away from / below the school (??). not sure if casting an adult bunker back out without any added sinker would do - and - could you even cast it with/without weight far enuf to get it back out in play (?). can’t say i ever tried to wing an adult

(live!) bunker - especially from

shore.  guessing it’d maybe go best with some old school big guns (??).

I've been fishing for over 40 years and never had a fish swallow the bunker snagger and bunker (use a larger treble like a 10/0). I stick the bunker ad hold my finger on the line with the spool open waiting for the bunker to start to freak out and start to swim faster then you can feel the fish pick up the bunker and I then stick him quick and most of the time it's a mouth hookup.Most people wait to long before they set the hook.Good Luck