Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperAddict247

First Custom Rod made and had some questions (11' CTS)

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

12oz seem about right to me. Most of my rods are heavier and yes if 12ozis to much think about getting into some fishing shape. Pushups and pull-ups a few months leading into fishing season always helps. 

Edited by hydraman

I have the 11' 1-3 Vapor Trail made by Rich. CRAZY light, 10.5 oz.

Have a friend who had the same rod made by another very respected rod builder and it was heavier and you could easily feel the difference (his rod is niece, but can feel its heavier, not the crazy light rod I have). I was very specific with Rich when he made it as I was coming off rotator cuff surgery and wanted it made as light as possible.

14 hours ago, TLap21 said:

It's one of the lightest rods available.  Curious if it feels heavy with the reel on, or just the rod itself?  

If it's with the reel on, which reel do you have on it?  

I'm using a VR150 on it

9 hours ago, hydraman said:

12oz seem about right to me. Most of my rods are heavier and yes if 12ozis to much think about getting into some fishing shape. Pushups and pull-ups a few months leading into fishing season always helps. 

I'm used to throwing a shorter 9oz Lamiglas so maybe thats why it seemed a little heavier, but will definitely work on casting more with this rod so I get used to it. 

14 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Well, there are a couple of ways to look at this. Is it heavy at 12oz? I'd say no but it probably could have been built a good bit lighter. Which 1-3 blank do you have - a true 2 piece or their new 'one piece (that one is cut at 28" and shipped, then glued up (or fused....) by the builder. If end weight was truly a concern that was blown by putting stainless alconites on it. If you really wanted light weight, Torzite would have been the way to go. Your handle assembly also probably could have been lighter too. Reelseat, cork tape and shrink grip all add weight.

I made a 3-6 this year, on the cut blank. The blank alone was about 7.5oz (before gluing). The guides that I used (Torzite), added 0.41oz. I did weigh the other components but I forgot what they were. The final rod came in at around 10.5oz if I remember, which is ~1.5oz lighter than yours for a heavier blank. For reference, the 3-6 blank is ~7.5oz and the 4-8 blank is ~10.1oz. I have no idea if the 1-3 follows that pattern though.

Back to your rod, 12 oz for the build that you describe sounds about right. Spending the extra money for guides only saves ~1.5oz. The 'value' of that is up to the user. Any weight savings in the handle wouldn't have had a cost effect. You could have left the reel seat off (electrical tape is just slightly lighter tho). The overall handle assembly could have been lighter with different materials with out sacrificing durability.

PS - for reference, a typical guide set of alconite, say 30-25-20-12-10/8 would probably be ~1-1.5oz heavier vs the guide set that I used, possibly a little more.

Thanks for all the help brother, will definitely keep all this in mind when building the next rod. 

13 hours ago, BigNevadaBob said:

Two piece VT 1-3 with stainless Fugi guides apoxee mixed with helium to make the rod float. 

20F3CE12-DC00-4986-A002-4051D9CA81F9.jpeg

This very light! Looks awesome too, is it an 11' or 10'?

Posted (edited)

Inc case you care, I found the  factory Mojo 11’ to weigh 13oz. per TD website.

Edited by jeffapeikin
Update on weight of rod per website