Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperAddict247

First Custom Rod made and had some questions (11' CTS)

23 posts in this topic

I just had my 11' CTS VT (1-3oz) completed a few weeks ago and the rod felt a little heavier than what I expected. The rod has the Fuji Alkenite guides, size 20 fuji reel seat, and 1 layer of cork tape wrapped in a spiral with X wrap at the bottom end. The rod comes out to be around 12oz altogether and I was wondering if this might be considered heavy for a CTS or is 12oz a good weight for a spinning surf rod for casting plugs and bucktails. 

That's pretty darn light for an 11' rod.  You would get a better response, perhaps, in the rod building forum by people who build rods and have weights that could be shared.

Not trying to be a smart ass but you should have asked these questions before spending the money.

It's one of the lightest rods available.  Curious if it feels heavy with the reel on, or just the rod itself?  

If it's with the reel on, which reel do you have on it?  

Posted (edited)

Well, there are a couple of ways to look at this. Is it heavy at 12oz? I'd say no but it probably could have been built a good bit lighter. Which 1-3 blank do you have - a true 2 piece or their new 'one piece (that one is cut at 28" and shipped, then glued up (or fused....) by the builder. If end weight was truly a concern that was blown by putting stainless alconites on it. If you really wanted light weight, Torzite would have been the way to go. Your handle assembly also probably could have been lighter too. Reelseat, cork tape and shrink grip all add weight.

I made a 3-6 this year, on the cut blank. The blank alone was about 7.5oz (before gluing). The guides that I used (Torzite), added 0.41oz. I did weigh the other components but I forgot what they were. The final rod came in at around 10.5oz if I remember, which is ~1.5oz lighter than yours for a heavier blank. For reference, the 3-6 blank is ~7.5oz and the 4-8 blank is ~10.1oz. I have no idea if the 1-3 follows that pattern though.

Back to your rod, 12 oz for the build that you describe sounds about right. Spending the extra money for guides only saves ~1.5oz. The 'value' of that is up to the user. Any weight savings in the handle wouldn't have had a cost effect. You could have left the reel seat off (electrical tape is just slightly lighter tho). The overall handle assembly could have been lighter with different materials with out sacrificing durability.

PS - for reference, a typical guide set of alconite, say 30-25-20-12-10/8 would probably be ~1-1.5oz heavier vs the guide set that I used, possibly a little more.

Edited by Drew C.

16 mins ago, Drew C. said:

a typical guide set of alconite, say 30-25-20-12-10/8 would probably be ~1-1.5oz heavier 

but you have to remember he was using alkenite and not alconite, alkenite is definitely heavier than alconite, could've saved more weight if the builder used the right guides. it will be tip heavy now and adds alot of strain on the wrists just because of the guides.

6 mins ago, HellRaY said:

but you have to remember he was using alkenite and not alconite, alkenite is definitely heavier than alconite, could've saved more weight if the builder used the right guides. it will be tip heavy now and adds alot of strain on the wrists just because of the guides.

yes, also did the builder use epoxy or apoxxee?

I have a CTS VT wrapped by RHC, rated 3-6, shrink wrap, 2-piece, that weighs 12 oz for reference.  No idea what flavor guides or how much the butt cap weighs :eek:, bought used.

2 mins ago, Drew C. said:

yes, that rod could have one of those 4-5oz butt caps on it.

Not into big butts.

2 mins ago, Darth Baiter said:

Not into big butts.

they're not necessarily big, just very heavy for their size.

Two piece VT 1-3 with stainless Fugi guides apoxee mixed with helium to make the rod float. 

20F3CE12-DC00-4986-A002-4051D9CA81F9.jpeg

I wish I had weighed my 13.5 Lami with a 300 Crack on it. A little gym time may be necessary for some. 12oz......wphew

There is “heavy” and then there is “heavy in hand”.  More moderate taper rods like the VT can have a heavy in hand feel if they were built with certain types of guides and guide layouts.  I prefer smaller, even single foot guides to reduce the weight of the tip section.