stateguy

fish gripper

14 posts in this topic

Was looking for a pair for my kayak.

I want a decent pair middle to low price range

I am afraid to use my boga grip and lose them in the water

Can’t you attach a lanyard?

if not, there are plenty of cheap Rapala lippers around. 

Start considering using length as a measuring methodology. As soon as they get to the +40" range, they are upwards of 30lbs -- they become increasingly difficult to weight without damaging them and putting you at risk of flipping ... IMHO

5 hours ago, stateguy said:

Was looking for a pair for my kayak.

I want a decent pair middle to low price range

I am afraid to use my boga grip and lose them in the water

I sold my Boga’s for the plastic grips. Boga’s don’t control the fish enough in the kayak. It lets them spin too much.

The plastic grippers for me seem to be easier on the fish as well.  The metal ones wind up making a hole through their bottom jaw when they flop around. 

6 hours ago, Azballa7 said:

The plastic grippers for me seem to be easier on the fish as well.  The metal ones wind up making a hole through their bottom jaw when they flop around. 

It depends, bogas and some cheaper alternatives (rapala alum grips) have a rotating head, so if you're just using the gripper to unhook/release fish and they do a death roll it's minimal dmg compared to plastic grips. I've seen many broken jaws from the standard plastic grips...the gap is tiny, even on the larger model. They are absolutely crap for fluke and smaller bluefish: damaged jaws every time. The Rapala plastic grip looks like a much better design with that large gap. 

Rapala Fish Grip come in two sizes, I like the smaller ones but I only use them when I get a big fish so I don't get to use them very often.

At one time I never considered them but when you start to get up there in years you just don't have the strength in your grip and a big fish can be hard to hang onto and rather than trying to grab a fish and drop it and injuring the fish it is best to use a gripper and also less chance of you getting injured with a sprained wrist or something.

Last season I could have used a pair of tweezers to lip the fish I caught. I suck at catching. 

I picked up a cheap pair at a local tackle shop this year. Only for the chance that I hook into a blue while going for rockfish. Bubba bay is what’s on them and they look identical to the larger Rapala grip, just neon green and orange with a lanyard. I want to say $8 is what I paid for them. 

On 5/15/2018 at 1:31 AM, RobEnglish said:

I sold my Boga’s for the plastic grips. Boga’s don’t control the fish enough in the kayak. It lets them spin too much.

Yeah, +1. That spinning can be a bitch.

Have lost Boga and Lucid grips, $$$ ouch!    When I had the boga, they were very tough on the toothy freshwater species (pickerel and Bowfin) and would cause too much damage because the metal at point of grip is small.  The plastic cheap ones are much better.  

Won a gift card and got a really nice rubber net.  Now, I always net the bigger or toothy fish, and only use the lip grip to then get hold if need be to remove hook, take a pic and either release or release in the grease.    The net/grip combo means no fish weight on the gripper and little to no damage.  

My vote: plastic lip gripper.  Plastic never rusts and it floats

25 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Have lost Boga and Lucid grips, $$$ ouch!    When I had the boga, they were very tough on the toothy freshwater species (pickerel and Bowfin) and would cause too much damage because the metal at point of grip is small.  The plastic cheap ones are much better.  

Won a gift card and got a really nice rubber net.  Now, I always net the bigger or toothy fish, and only use the lip grip to then get hold if need be to remove hook, take a pic and either release or release in the grease.    The net/grip combo means no fish weight on the gripper and little to no damage.  

My vote: plastic lip gripper.  Plastic never rusts and it floats

I picked up a rubber net this season as well. Agree with your combo. Makes a lot of sense.