Fish2Day

What Gear for Beach Driving ?

24 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

2017 exploder sport 

If 4wd you’re good to go with a simple air down to 15psi. Lots of people run AWD on beaches (Subaru and the like) with no issue, but where I drive they require 4wd. 

2 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

If 4wd you’re good to go with a simple air down to 15psi. Lots of people run AWD on beaches (Subaru and the like) with no issue, but where I drive they require 4wd. 

Yea I keep hearing 15lb is the magic number. Still afraid to be that guy! 

Every vehicle is different, and conditions on the beach vary too. 15-20 for the tires, put it in drive and go. If it feels like the truck is working too hard let some more air out. It really doesn't have to be any harder than this.

You really do not need 4x4 low unless you needed to pull someone out.  I leave our Jeeps in drive and turn off traction control on the 07. We drop our tires to 12 to start but have gone as low as 10. It depends on how much sidewall your tires have. 70 series and higher can go lower. If you have 60 series try 15. 

15 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

Yea I keep hearing 15lb is the magic number. Still afraid to be that guy! 

NJBBA runs beach driving clinics. Attend one and you'll be all set.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, Fish2Day said:

I have a new ( for me) 2017 Ram 5.7 with the 8 speed transmission.

I'm planning on using 4X4 lock, but will the transmission select too high a gear ?

I believe I have the ability to manually change gears via buttons on the steering wheel, would this be the way to go or

just let the transmission select the gear ? 

Thanks in advance.

In my past I've found low range is best unless your driving off for hospital.

Just for kicks try 7mph your kidneys will love you

Don't listen to anybody telling you not to start in 4 Low.  Start your beach driving in the most capable set up possible and that's 4 low and lowering air pressure.  As you get used to your vehicle on the beach you can adjust.  Also most modern vehicle's computer turns the traction control off when you switch to 4 low, so don't worry if you feel like it is not going off, because it's probably already off.

On the 4Runner, when I lock the dif, a light comes on telling me the trac control is off in 4 Hi, 4lo, it is off with the shift.

But, in the never ending quest for better gas mileage, the transmission searches for the highest gear for the speed.

So, on the beach, putting along at 10, 15 mph, it wants to run in drive, and lug along. The ride is like a manual if you do not down shift right before it starts bucking. Pulling it down into 2nd keeps it from lugging.